• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2021 Banter/Complaint Thread

madwx

The snow melt line in eastern Canada is farther north than 2012 at this time.  It's not nearly as warm, but the lack of snow is concerning.  Kinda worried this will be a hot dry summer with smoky cold fronts from fires in Canada.  2018 was very warm on average, but didn't have a lot of triple-digit stuff due to blocky pattern.  This year could have more classic heat wave stuff that hasn't happened for a while.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Any guesses on when the first "large and extremely dangerous tornado" warning comes out during today's severe? I'm going with 1:50 pm EDT or 12:50 CDT.

Also I'm really missing that NWS national radar mosaic :angry::thumbsdown:.

Whoever implemented this change should be fired. I find myself using Weather.com for radar instead of Weather.gov these days.

51 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Any guesses on when the first "large and extremely dangerous tornado" warning comes out during today's severe? I'm going with 1:50 pm EDT or 12:50 CDT.

TUSCALOOSA AL-BIBB AL-  
1227 PM CDT THU MAR 25 2021  

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 115 PM CDT FOR  
SOUTHEASTERN TUSCALOOSA AND CENTRAL BIBB COUNTIES...  

AT 1227 PM CDT, A CONFIRMED LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO WAS  
LOCATED NEAR LOW GAP, OR 15 MILES SOUTHEAST OF TUSCALOOSA, MOVING  
NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.  

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!  

Holy crap that was fast, I was off by 23 minutes too late :o

• Like 1

The whole NWS network is down, websites, NWSChat etc. How does the whole network crash?

Our IT infrastructure is an embarrassing disgrace. It's to the point where it's getting dangerous considering we're in severe weather season. The fact that Rick Smith the OUN WCM had to tweet on his personal Twitter for people outside the affected offices in the High Risk in the south to stay out of those NWSChat rooms because the server is so unstable highlights how bad it is. Several offices had to go into service backup overnight because their comms went completely down. The Rapid City office has ongoing wildfires in their CWA and they couldn't get forecasts out to their fire weather users. We're lucky there was literally no thunderstorms forecast across the CONUS, let alone any severe weather early this morning.    

And then you have our wonderful new radar page. Yesterday someone called on our public phone line about the functionality (lack thereof) on the page vs the legacy page and I recommended downloading GR2 for laptop and Radarscope for his phone and tablet. No use in shying away from those recommendations when the NWS page is essentially useless.

/endrant

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Our IT infrastructure is an embarrassing disgrace. It's to the point where it's getting dangerous considering we're in severe weather season. The fact that Rick Smith the OUN WCM had to tweet on his personal Twitter for people outside the affected offices in the High Risk in the south to stay out of those NWSChat rooms because the server is so unstable highlights how bad it is. Several offices had to go into service backup overnight because their comms went completely down. The Rapid City office has ongoing wildfires in their CWA and they couldn't get forecasts out to their fire weather users. We're lucky there was literally no thunderstorms forecast across the CONUS, let alone any severe weather early this morning.     

And then you have our wonderful new radar page. Yesterday someone called on our public phone line about the functionality (lack thereof) on the page vs the legacy page and I recommended downloading GR2 for laptop and Radarscope for his phone and tablet. No use in shying away from those recommendations when the NWS page is essentially useless.

/endrant

Are the broader IT issues due to funding cuts?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Are the broader IT issues due to funding cuts?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On our central region internal call this morning, the director of CRH said 'to not expect a fix to the recurring internet issues etc for the next 6 months to a year due to budget issues.' This issue needs to be elevated in the media and congressional reps and Senators need to be made aware of what's going on and how it could contribute to people dying unnecessarily in a severe weather or flooding episode or a wildfire.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

I don't understand why there isn't an alternate bare-bones radar site.  I know they can't use flash anymore, but the layered GIS stuff is just too much until they upgrade to a faster server network.  It works nice for climatological data like snow depth and rainfall, but its beyond useless for looping.  The new radar color scheme is terrible too.  I'd volunteer to fix it if they'd let me. :(

On 3/25/2021 at 1:08 PM, A-L-E-K said:

try

The national mosaic is too small on that one, but great for regional.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:08 PM, Jonger said:

Whoever implemented this change should be fired. I find myself using Weather.com for radar instead of Weather.gov these days.

Agreed, I've seen this routinely for overhauls and can't believe someone was paid to ruin something. I tried weather.com interactive radar and it has that idiotic timeout crap and is RAM hungry. The looping is a pain too. Ideally the national mosaic would be unsized and a static image that can be saved via right-click (with a good colour table).

On 3/30/2021 at 8:24 AM, RCNYILWX said:

Our IT infrastructure is an embarrassing disgrace. It's to the point where it's getting dangerous considering we're in severe weather season. And then you have our wonderful new radar page. Yesterday someone called on our public phone line about the functionality (lack thereof) on the page vs the legacy page and I recommended downloading GR2 for laptop and Radarscope for his phone and tablet. No use in shying away from those recommendations when the NWS page is essentially useless.

You know its bad when folks are phoning in to NWS offices about it :yikes:

• Like 1

47 years ago this afternoon one of the craziest weather events was underway and I was thinking about the capping that was in the place for Super Outbreak, what would it look like? We know there was early morning storms like 4/27/11 in the south but noon-hour capping is what I'm mainly curious about. This from the AMS journal article revisiting , "An EML prohibited the development of surface-based thunderstorms over most of the warm sector early in the day, steep lapse rates within the EML and the presence of increasingly rich moisture just beneath it were favorable for the production of cold convective downdrafts from existing storms..."

I wasn't able to discern the EML (elevated mixed layer) well with the figures provided, its above me. I'm still not solid on EML vs capping despite reading up on that.

Some other stats for 4/03/74 include 30 tornado families (supercells?) that comprised 74% of the outbreak’s twisters, and up to 15 destructive tornadoes occurred simultaneously during the event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

47 years ago this afternoon one of the craziest weather events was underway and I was thinking about the capping that was in the place for Super Outbreak, what would it look like? We know there was early morning storms like 4/27/11 in the south but noon-hour capping is what I'm mainly curious about. This from the AMS journal article revisiting , "An EML prohibited the development of surface-based thunderstorms over most of the warm sector early in the day, steep lapse rates within the EML and the presence of increasingly rich moisture just beneath it were favorable for the production of cold convective downdrafts from existing storms..."

I wasn't able to discern the EML (elevated mixed layer) well with the figures provided, its above me. I'm still not solid on EML vs capping despite reading up on that.

Some other stats for 4/03/74 include 30 tornado families (supercells?) that comprised 74% of the outbreak’s twisters, and up to 15 destructive tornadoes occurred simultaneously during the event.

EML is different from a typical cap in that it features steep lapse rates in the 700-500 hPa layer.  8C/km or greater in this layer usually evidence of an EML.  It's good for severe weather because it gives the CAPE a low center of gravity, so parcels accelerate early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, madwx said:

There should be a rule that for every post in the Covid thread, you have to make 2 in an actual weather discussion

Western PA folk like myself aren’t particularly active on here outside of snow season. My ratio is probably getting dangerously close to falling below the 2:1 ratio.

P.S. How’s the weather in Madison these days? As a UW alum who got to experience that epic ‘07-08 winter, has anything close to that happened since?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Western PA folk like myself aren’t particularly active on here outside of snow season. My ratio is probably getting dangerously close to falling below the 2:1 ratio.

P.S. How’s the weather in Madison these days? As a UW alum who got to experience that epic ‘07-08 winter, has anything close to that happened since?

Nice mild/warm spring so far.  Need some rain though, the thunderstorms have missed us the past 2 days.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:08 PM, CheeselandSkies said:

Can't have this in the United States. Our ancestors came to a place with arguably the most intense and varied weather in the world which is why a top notch weather service is absolutely required. The frequency of blizzards, tornadoes and hurricanes in the CONUS is pretty intense compared to most places. Just look at Toledo, you've got an average high of around freezing for DJF and an average of 36" of snow a year while having an average high of 85 in July. That is pretty extreme compared to most places, maybe most similar to Western Russia and parts of China

• Like 2