Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, kdxken said:

Folks are just lucky I guess. How would the CEO ever know when they would announce results.

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla sold almost $5.6 million worth of stock on Monday, the same day the drugmaker announced positive early data on its experimental coronavirus vaccine that sent shares soaring.

Shares of Pfizer jumped by almost 15% on Monday after the company and its partner BioNTech said its vaccine was more than 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 among those in the trial without evidence of prior infection.

Bourla sold 132,508 shares at an average price of $41.94 per share, or nearly $5.6 million, according to a securities filing. The sale was part of a pre-scheduled 10b5-1 trading plan, which was adopted on Aug. 19, the filing shows, as the company was enrolling participants in its late-stage trial.

It’s unclear when Bourla found out about the positive vaccine data, though another executive, Dr. Kathrin Jansen, the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, told The New York Times she learned of the results at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

The sale accounted for 61.8% of the shares owned both directly and indirectly by Bourla. H

You can trust that guy. He clearly would never promote an unnecessarily-early regimen of booster vaccines simply to make more money. Never, ever would he do such a thing.

BioNtech is the company that actually made the vaccine that Pfizer markets. It’s a German company owned and founded by a Turkish couple. They’re the ones that came up with the vaccine, but they’re too small to run the trials. BioNtech partnered with Pfizer to run the trials and manufacture it.

And for the record, Pfizer/BioNtech wasn’t really part of operation warp speed. Yes they took federal money in the form of contracts to buy finished product if it got approved, but Pfizer used their own money to fund trials and manufacturing. Moderna took federal money to run the trials and ramp up production in addition to contracts. 

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

COVID, it’s a passionate debate topic.  The usual viewpoints don’t align sometimes.

People want to hear whatever makes them warm and fuzzy coming out of other people’s mouths , right . Usually ...

I like to think I’m pretty open minded . Meaning not that I will believe anything lol but that I am not so married to my beliefs that I will be fearful of changing opinions  . I am very tolerant of opposing viewpoints . It’s like constantly gathering information and updating . I Am also very comfortable not knowing the answer .

money is the prime motivator in many corporate situations at board of directors level . This doesn’t mean decisions are evil but conflicts of interests are abound , it’s all very fascinating . I’m impressed humans haven’t blown each other up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I thought every vaccine was independently reviewed by hundreds of the bests scientist in the world? I guess they all could be paid off beforehand?

Yes, all the FDA career scientists, outside advisors, Paul Offitt, every one of them. In Pfizer’s back pocket. 
Biggest beef I have with the real scientists in this whole thing is the testing. They still haven’t got that right.  And the NIH’s messaging has been a disaster. 

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Yes, all the FDA career scientists, outside advisors, Paul Offitt, every one of them. In Pfizer’s back pocket. 
Biggest beef I have with the real scientists in this whole thing is the testing. They still haven’t got that right.  And the NIH’s messaging has been a disaster. 

So which scientists at Pfizer, specifically, pushed to market the drug Lyrica for off-label use for which it was ill-suited and dangerous? Did you mentor those guys too, by any chance?

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You call me a know-it-all, but now you are also an expert in business ethics 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

So which scientists at Pfizer, specifically, pushed to market the drug Lyrica for off-label use for which it was ill-suited and dangerous? Did you mentor those guys too, by any chance?

Dude. Give it a rest. Last post respinding to you. I’ve got you blocked.  You just wear me out. Have a great night. 

• Haha 1

The list of the biggest pharma settlements includes almost exclusively the kind of behavior I am talking about, which has nothing to do with the scientists or the vaccine, but rather involves the marketers, lawyers, and executives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_pharmaceutical_settlements

I certainly wouldn't take Pfizer's word for it that we need a booster every six months forever. No thanks. That sounds like marketing speak to me.

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I don’t know why folks get so emotional . I can understand disagreements but I admit I do usually check in to see how many fists are flying .

A little cynicism is good for people in these weird times. Look at things twice and ask, "Who benefits?"

Maybe it's OK that someone benefits, if you benefit enough as well.

But it's worth considering.

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A little cynicism is good for people in these weird times. Look at things twice and ask, "Who benefits?"

I find it all very psychologically interesting .

The delivery of the message, the effects that has , the difference in the way different states have enforced things and the different opinions people in those states have .

Also the different abilities folks seem to use analytically measuring a threat And acting accordingly to that level , or being more comfortable eliminating any “chance “ or acting carelessly toward others . Never mind other threats we may seem to be ok taking but aren’t reminded of hourly  (granted individual threats differ enormously even if  that wasn’t purposefully spelled out ).

Its just wild .

The one thing that was not shocking , but eye opening to  me is the way the  ball was dropped at nursing homes Even after the first wave and it’s ironic  the focus of the message has been on keeping safe and being willing to over prepare for safety . 1% of US population made up 40% of deaths ....LT care facilities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Always, in any times.

Remember also that the MSM only wants to perpetuate the narrative that continues to feed those who are financially benefiting.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Always, in any times.

Remember also that the MSM only wants to perpetuate the narrative that continues to feed those who are financially benefiting.

The  MSM is a business that can really step up in times of turmoil and benefits from driving up fear, division ....Emotion.   They are exceptional at dividing and getting people to see each other according to sex, race, income or party member..anything  that seems like regression to me.  I don't know exactly who is driving the car or why but this pervasive think like me or your xyz has taken hold and really become a virus in and of it's self.  

I will say one thing...the moving of the goalposts is exhausting and horrific for vaccine hesitancy.

Having doctors and “experts” getting on tv and podcasts and other forms of media and saying “don’t expect to be gathering for holiday parties this year” is so exhausting.

I mean, what are we really doing?

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I will say one thing...the moving of the goalposts is exhausting and horrific for vaccine hesitancy.

Having doctors and “experts” getting on tv and podcasts and other forms of media and saying “don’t expect to be gathering for holiday parties this year” is so exhausting.

I think that is the thing where people are less divided but still cautious of what other people think. 

Realize ...Some people are less social anyway and won't be that bothered by not gathering in bigger groups . Some cultures will be gathering because that is what makes life worth living and they are centered on having extended family meetings.  

At some point after all those that want to be vaccinated are....folks start to realize that the "one size fits all , act this way, we are all in danger ...or you can "kill someone's grandma' TV advice/mantra  has passed and its time to move on and they don't need to hear it from people who will say one thing very cautiously on camera and act a different way in their personal life bc that is just the way being "politically correct" is on TV.  And those that haven't move on to may be exhibiting  some legit form of anxiety from the 24/7 scrolling death toll for months. 

7 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

I thought this was a COVID free thread, where are the mods??

I love reading the covid threads. 

We are in bizarro world now.  We've stopped listening to science.  Restaurants still can't have menus (place I went last night).  Towns won't open up swap areas at the dump (duxbury) . We're still wearing masks outdoors.    

We're going to create a superbug from all of the incessant hand washing (my wife).  There is zero need for hand washing stations at a youth soccer field. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My little cousin is getting married on New Year’s Eve. Fingers crossed we’ve beaten this thing down by then. 

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

J&J vaccine back in action.  The new thing they'll be preaching is "we need to get the world to herd immunity before grandma can take her mask off".....so now we'll all be wearing these diapers on our face to 2025. 

or that there will always be a certain % of the population with waning immunity, therefore we need continued restrictions

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

J&J vaccine back in action.  The new thing they'll be preaching is "we need to get the world to herd immunity before grandma can take her mask off".....so now we'll all be wearing these diapers on our face to 2025. 

Can you tell us who "they" are preaching this?  Honestly haven't seen that.

• Haha 1