Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

40 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Red Sox and Marlins rescheduled for June 7.

Yankees swept by the worst team in the AL, and have lost 5 of 6.  Rays won their 15th in last 16.

I still have no idea how a team like the Rays just always seem to be very good with that budget.  It’s amazing.

20 hours ago, PhineasC said:

My DoD customers are starting to mandate people return. One major command just announced 100% mandatory in-person by July 4. Now we are dealing with people who refuse to return for various reasons. So far, it’s a small number. Most folks are glad to be coming back; I think they missed the camaraderie and teamwork environment. 

It must be nice to work from home and BS. Some people gonna miss their afternoon naps.

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yankees swept by the worst team in the AL, and have lost 5 of 6.  Rays won their 15th in last 16.

I still have no idea how a team like the Rays just always seem to be very good with that budget.  It’s amazing.

Rays always seem to get good young pitching for cheap. That’s one reason Henry hired Bloom to try and replicate that.

NY can’t score any runs. Now they play Tampa and Boston. The next week could put them in a severe hole if they can’t string sone wins together. 
Breaks my heart. :lol:

10 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Rays always seem to get good young pitching for cheap. That’s one reason Henry hired Bloom to try and replicate that.

NY can’t score any runs. Now they play Tampa and Boston. The next week could put them in a severe hole if they can’t string sone wins together. 
Breaks my heart. :lol:

“Yankees have scored 3 or fewer runs in 29 games this season. The only MLB team to do that more is the Pirates.”

Hate to see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We are at the local theater seeing “Cruella” and only 10 people here.  Perfect because they also serve beer! 

Yeah our local theater has booze service too... great way to watch a movie when they keep bringing you local IPAs, ha.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We are at the local theater seeing “Cruella” and only 10 people here.  Perfect because they also serve beer! 

We stopped by our local place to get popcorn and snacks on Saturday (watched Cruella at home).  Parking lot was pretty full for the first time since March 2020. Our son went to see Quiet Place 2 there on Friday night. He said crowd was decent

8 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

So now what? There's just so much empty commerical space everywhere now. Those days of big malls and industrial parks are over. 

Some will survive if they can change.  Smaller unique stores and goods. More dining and entertainment options.  But the malls of the 1980s are long gone. 
The outdoor places (think Wrentham Village or the Shoppes in Millbury )still seem busy. 

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Theaters are in big trouble. They were before the pandemic, but 2020 pushed up their demise by several years.

I think theaters could survive if they spruce them up a bit. 

Thinking malls will have a tougher time unless they turn them into mini amusement parks. 

17 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Two questions:
What's best way to prune this tree. Can't remember what it is, but can I just trim off the ends a foot or so?

What kind of cloud is this?
1249156739ea687226065caca848146c.jpgc5c880bc8576b3883ed8f93c62a50c43.jpg

First, don't prune it now - should be done in the dormant season, both for setting new buds and because freezes cut the decay fungus spores to almost nothing.  

Second, what's the objective?  Pruning is a lot different when done for shape than when done for fruit.  I'm still in beginners' class when it comes to pruning, but for shape (my guess for objective) maybe prune toward the shape you want while taking less than 20% of the total live branch length.

And that small cloud looks almost lenticular, though it's not in the more common places of that type of cloud.

yeah the few times I went weather was iffy.   Prefer south Jersey personally-about the same distance from here- warmer water better weather overall.

We used to go to Long Beach Island when we lived in NNJ, but even then (~1970) the traffic on Rt 35 was a horror show - can't imagine what it's like now.

3 hours ago, Whineminster said:

So now what? There's just so much empty commerical space everywhere now. Those days of big malls and industrial parks are over. 

If they can save that space for 2-3 years I’m sure with all the jobs robots will be taking , it can be used for poverty shelters/or just  UBI funded housing. 

• Like 1

First, don't prune it now - should be done in the dormant season, both for setting new buds and because freezes cut the decay fungus spores to almost nothing.  
Second, what's the objective?  Pruning is a lot different when done for shape than when done for fruit.  I'm still in beginners' class when it comes to pruning, but for shape (my guess for objective) maybe prune toward the shape you want while taking less than 20% of the total live branch length.
And that small cloud looks almost lenticular, though it's not in the more common places of that type of cloud.

yeah the few times I went weather was iffy.   Prefer south Jersey personally-about the same distance from here- warmer water better weather overall.
We used to go to Long Beach Island when we lived in NNJ, but even then (~1970) the traffic on Rt 35 was a horror show - can't imagine what it's like now.
The objective of pruning is just to cut back back the limbs hitting the house, thanks

26 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

The objective of pruning is just to cut back back the limbs hitting the house, thanks

Unless those branches are actually doing damage at present, in which place stopping damage takes precedence over pruning seasonality, I still recommend waiting until first freeze next fall.  Whenever you prune, maybe cut back to retain forks/twigs that point away from the house.