• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

At the brewery we went to the staff was wearing masks.  I felt bad.  A few customers came in wearing them.  I was near a window and was watching people walk by. Many still had them on outside in the wind and rain. We brought them in case the brewery still required them but didn’t wear them since it was not required 

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

At the brewery we went to the staff was wearing masks.  I felt bad.  A few customers came in wearing them.  I was near a window and was watching people walk by. Many still had them on outside in the wind and rain. We brought them in case the brewery still required them but didn’t wear them since it was not required 

Don't feel bad. Adults are allowed to make their own personal decisions. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Well, the employees possibly had to? Not sure. Plus the busboy was prob only 16 or so and seemed skittish. The beer and food were good though

I think most employers are trying to figure out how to work with the guidance without being allowed to ask about employee vaccination status.  So if states still say unvaccinated should wear masks, businesses are trying to figure that out.  But it’s at will employment, so if they want you to wear a bucket on their head, they can and you can not work there lol.

Also heard a rumor about different state’s OSHA regulations may include mask recommendations in some cases.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Well, the employees possibly had to? Not sure. Plus the busboy was prob only 16 or so and seemed skittish. The beer and food were good though

Sorry, I think I misread your post. I can see feeling sorry for workers who have no choice in the matter.

I thought you meant you felt bad being maskless while all those other patrons were still masked-up even outside.

I wouldn't worry about what those other patrons are doing of their own free will.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think most employers are trying to figure out how to work with the guidance without being allowed to ask about employee vaccination status.  So if states still say unvaccinated should wear masks, businesses are trying to figure that out.  But it’s at will employment, so if they want you to wear a bucket on their head, they can and you can not work there lol.

Also heard a rumor about different state’s OSHA regulations may include mask recommendations in some cases.

I haven't looked at state-level OSHA regs, but at the Federal level, it's very tricky. Mandating that employees get a vaccine or that customers have to prove they have been vaccinated could lead to legal issues if someone gets sick from the vaccine your business mandated they get. They could have grounds for a workers comp claim or more. It's definitely a very challenging question. Of course, you can also run into trouble by NOT mandating vaccines and proof of vaccination if there is a spreader event. No easy answer.

Small businesses need to tread very lightly and take a mostly hands-off approach, IMO. Trying to virtue signal and force the issue in either direction could lead to issues. Best to just post the signage clearly and tell people the choice and liability is on them the moment they enter the establishment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Home Depot in Oxford was 70/30. 70 WITHOUT!

I was pretty shocked. Even most employees didn’t have them on. 
It was sure nice to actually see people’s faces again. 

We take our students outside every day for a mask break.  For those kids that do take off the masks (and some don't) it is good to see some of their faces.  Others should probably stick to wearing them until they grow into their faces...lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Sorry, I think I misread your post. I can see feeling sorry for workers who have no choice in the matter.

I thought you meant you felt bad being maskless while all those other patrons were still masked-up even outside.

I wouldn't worry about what those other patrons are doing of their own free will.

Yeah... my wife and I really didn't care about other patrons... She is much more "screw the masks" than I am lol.  I still might wear one to the grocery store because I look better with one on.   But in reality I don't want the employees to feel uncomfortable.  If they aren't wearing them (haven't check the policy there yet) I won't 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I haven't looked at state-level OSHA regs, but at the Federal level, it's very tricky. Mandating that employees get a vaccine or that customers have to prove they have been vaccinated could lead to legal issues if someone gets sick from the vaccine your business mandated they get. They could have grounds for a workers comp claim or more. It's definitely a very challenging question. Of course, you can also run into trouble by NOT mandating vaccines and proof of vaccination if there is a spreader event. No easy answer.

Small businesses need to tread very lightly and take a mostly hands-off approach, IMO. Trying to virtue signal and force the issue in either direction could lead to issues. Best to just post the signage clearly and tell people the choice and liability is on them the moment they enter the establishment.

Yeah most businesses up here seem to be treading lightly.  We are still wearing masks at work when in groups (though off-season, a lot of solo work and office stuff, people taking time off, much more relaxed) as it was basically like “the legal department is trying to figure out where we are with this and vaccination status per VOSHA, so masks stay for now.”

I’ve seen some restaurants in town doing things like, we’ll be all wearing masks at work until July 1st.  By that date, you all will have had ample opportunity to get vaccinated if you chose. If you don’t want to, that’s fine too but here’s the warning... get it done or don’t, one month.

The rapid ending of mask mandates and such definitely threw businesses (big and small) for a loop a bit.  Not really sure how to attack it while not getting sued for doing something dumb.  Treading lightly like you alluded to.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’ve seen some restaurants in town doing things like, we’ll be all wearing masks at work until July 1st.  By that date, you all will have had ample opportunity to get vaccinated if you chose. If you don’t want to, that’s fine too but here’s the warning... get it done or don’t, one month.

The rapid ending of mask mandates and such definitely threw businesses (big and small) for a loop a bit.  Not really sure how to attack it while not getting sued for doing something dumb.  Treading lightly like you alluded to.

I think this is where my company is. The email we got alluded to the number of unvaccinated was still a little high. But the email was to the entire US work force. 
Im saying a novena they’ll be gone in another month. Im tired of my glasses fogging up in the lab. Although lately we all wear them under our chin unless EHS shows up. Im also tired of having lab meeting via Teams. 

It’s over.  But the mask thing dies hard.   Stores here in Chicago have signs that say masks optional if you’re vaccinated but still nearly 100% masks indoors and nearly 100% maskless outside.  I walked into a Starbucks maskless the other day and decided to ask the lady at the counter what would make her comfortable.  She said you’re fine without a mask.  My SIL is masked and frightened.  She asked me if I was worried.  I said I’m following the science.  She said what about those deaths in bum****?   My response was she was more likely going to die from an accident on the drive over...and that’s the truth among vaccinated people.  Still, I encourage people to work with their personal comfort level.   We’ll know soon enough as we open wide across the country.

• Like 1

It was awesome to hear the crowd today at Fenway.  Later innings were nail-biters but the crowd going nuts was awesome, great to see full capacity.

Red Sox seem pretty good still, while the Yanks lost.  Yanks rolled out 5 guys in the starting lineup batting under .200, hate to see it.

https://twitter.com/redsoxstats/status/1398775363887579136?s=20

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s over.  But the mask thing dies hard.   Stores here in Chicago have signs that say masks optional if you’re vaccinated but still nearly 100% masks indoors and nearly 100% maskless outside.  I walked into a Starbucks maskless the other day and decided to ask the lady at the counter what would make her comfortable.  She said you’re fine without a mask.  My SIL is masked and frightened.  She asked me if I was worried.  I said I’m following the science.  She said what about those deaths in bum****?   My response was she was more likely going to die from an accident on the drive over...and that’s the truth among vaccinated people.  Still, I encourage people to work with their personal comfort level.   We’ll know soon enough as we open wide across the country.

The people still wearing masks and worrying about COVID are the vaccinated. Those who by choice haven’t taken the vaccine have never been worried about COVID (clearly) and are glad to be 100% maskless. 

A couple of friends and coworkers of mine who were really, really worried about COVID and are naturally very big worriers (one of them has been terrified of Ebola, West Nile, Zika, bird flu, etc for years) are finally starting to come out of their shells. One of them even asked to grab a beer next week. I haven't seen him since February 2020. I think the peer pressure PF was talking about earlier will start to force some of these reluctant souls to rejoin the party. Clearly, it's quickly reverting back to being "kinda weird" to be a masked-up scared shut-in who shuns people. I think by July 4th COVID will seem like a past memory for even most of the diehards.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

My DoD customers are starting to mandate people return. One major command just announced 100% mandatory in-person by July 4. Now we are dealing with people who refuse to return for various reasons. So far, it’s a small number. Most folks are glad to be coming back; I think they missed the camaraderie and teamwork environment. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

11 hours ago, weathafella said:

Just the opposite down here in FL, full on facial nudity now for a few months now except in schools. Schools are optional next year

Our dog was complaining at the back door this morning, thought he just had to go out. As I'm half asleep and opening up the slider I noticed a large bobcat walking on the edge of the yard. Our dog is a 65 lbs. hound mix and that cat would have messed him up. I know they can range up to 40lbs but it looked to be larger than that. Surprised how low to ground but long it was are, very dark brown too. Looked nothing like pictures I have seen of them around here. Bummed my phone was in the other room and I couldn't get a picture of it. 

• Like 2

The huge nursery where we bought plants yesterday had signs requesting masks and about 90% did so.  I saw no attempts by staff to enforce the requests.  A half mile away at Kennebec Cabin Company, no masks in sight.  (Never saw the Maine Cabin Masters crew with masks on during their pandemic-time projects, though they did the social distance thing with clients.)

• Like 2