Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

11 minutes ago, radarman said:

Downtown Amherst mask wearing is damn near 100% and the even the outdoor farmers market is requiring it.   ( :huh: ) I definitely think it's a you go first thing.  

Yeah that makes a lot of sense actually.  People like to be polite and have been conditioned that it's the polite thing to do is wear a mask.  Like having a few people walking to the front of a store and all trying to hold the door open for each other so that in actuality no one enters the store first and it's that awkward "No, I got it for you" "No man, you go I've got the door."   Haha.

Meanwhile the one guy in the back is just like "fine, you guys want to play that, I don't care if you hold it or not, I'm going in."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah that makes a lot of sense actually.  People like to be polite and have been conditioned that it's the polite thing to do is wear a mask.  Like having a few people walking to the front of a store and all trying to hold the door open for each other so that in actuality no one enters the store first and it's that awkward "No, I got it for you" "No man, you go I've got the door."   Haha.

My wife needs to go to Market 32 in a bit. I’ll ask her what she sees and report back. We all need to do field reports :D

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

My wife needs to go to Market 32 in a bit. I’ll ask her what she sees and report back. We all need to do field reports :D

My gut says it has literally nothing to do with fear at all.  Maybe/definitely conditioning.  But for the most part it's about "reading" the scene and fitting in with everyone else.  If someone shows up and parks, sees no one has a mask on, they won't put it on.  They roll up and see 80%+ with masks on, they throw it on too.

People don't like to stand out.  I think it's solely based on what they see and they fit in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My gut says it has literally nothing to do with fear at all.  Maybe conditioning.  But for the most part it's about "reading" the scene and fitting in with everyone else.  If someone shows up and parks, sees no one has a mask on, they won't put it on.  They roll up and see 80%+ with masks on, they throw it on too.

People don't like to stand out.  I think it's solely based on what they see and they fit in.

DBBD5404-31A1-4D5C-874E-C0BF09A07294.jpeg

• Haha 1

It was weird for about a day after the mask mandate was dropped. Give it time, even the uptight MA people will come around. If they don’t, who cares? Just do your thing. I don’t spend much time worrying about what people think about my fashion choices so I wasn’t thinking about if people would judge my maskless face. 

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I don’t care if I’m the only one. I’m never putting one on again unless I’m at work or on a plane. 

Yeah, but herd mentality is hard to shift on the whole.  I agree with you that if you see 80+% outside still in Boston/Cambridge wearing masks, it won't end quickly unless a large group of them decide to stop it.  Then I think it'll end fast.  They want to see other's doing it first.

In the end, it doesn't matter in the least.  Who cares.  Everyone has their choice now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My gut says it has literally nothing to do with fear at all.  Maybe/definitely conditioning.  But for the most part it's about "reading" the scene and fitting in with everyone else.  If someone shows up and parks, sees no one has a mask on, they won't put it on.  They roll up and see 80%+ with masks on, they throw it on too.

Fear of variants is definitely a thing for some people. 

This dude is in better shape than 99.9% of people. He didn't die, but who would like to go what he had to go through?

Exclusive: Minnesota Wild's Marco Rossi on COVID-19 complications, 'I'm just happy that I'm still alive'

There continues to be one absolutely terrifying comment that still reverberates around his head. As the Minnesota Wild’s 2020 first-round pick attempted to negotiate with experts that he should at least be allowed to exercise and skate a little bit rather than be completely shut down for two months, it was explained bluntly to the teenage hockey star just how serious his medical diagnosis was.
“The doctors told me if I played one more game in the World Junior Championship, this could have ended completely different,” Rossi said Tuesday, his voice still quavering from the memory of how close he may have been to a tragic ending. “I’m thankful to God that he supported me. … I’m just happy that I’m still alive.”
Knowing Rossi was devastated by the realization that he was that close to potentially having his heart stop on the ice, Wild general manager Bill Guerin sent Rossi home to Austria to be with his parents.
Rossi was petrified. Anytime he was alone, he worried his heart was going to stop. After returning home to Austria, Rossi lived with his parents and each night begged his mother, Claudia, and father, Michael, to sleep in his room.
After being drafted by the Wild in October, Rossi signed his three-year, entry-level contract a few weeks later. The Wild assigned him to the ZSC Lions in Zurich, Switzerland, to allow him to play hockey and ramp up for a potential Wild training camp in the winter. He played one game, registered an assist but was then diagnosed with COVID-19. He experienced mild symptoms, including lower back pain. By the time he was cleared and ready to return, three other players tested positive and the team was put into quarantine.
Still, during his comeback attempt with the Lions, Rossi said he was absolutely exhausted. He figured it was because he was so used to pushing his body to great lengths and his body must have been shellshocked from not being allowed to do anything during his 10-day COVID-19 quarantine.
“My exhaustion (from Switzerland) always kept going. It didn’t stop. Like, it was never, ‘Now I’m back to 100 percent,’” Rossi said. “At the tournament, that was the highest point where I said, ‘OK, I can’t do it anymore. I’m so tired.’”
Dr. Bill Morice, the president of Mayo Clinic Laboratories and chair of Lab Medicine and Pathology at the Rochester, Minn.-based hospital, explained there are four ways to diagnose myocarditis: Blood work can show an elevation of some of the enzymes specific to the heart muscle that can leak into the blood if there’s inflammation; EKG abnormalities; imaging, like an MRI; and a heart biopsy, which is the most definitive but not commonly done.
After follow-ups to the initial bloodwork, Rossi and the Wild got definitive news that he indeed had myocarditis.
Neither the Rossis nor Payer are blaming the ZSC Lions or Team Austria for clearing Rossi to return after his bout with COVID-19.

“I don’t want to blame anyone,” Rossi said. “The COVID is so new to everyone, and nobody really knows what is the best reaction to do. … I’m just happy that I’m still alive.”

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's what I noticed down here, some wear it some don't seems some are on the fence whether they should ditch or wait for other people to start first.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yes. I know several people who want to keep the masking and restrictions in place because of that. Every time a new variant is identified one guy I know had a come apart. His newest fear is a Vietnamese variant.  He’s petrified.

I couldn't really care less what the public thinks about me not wearing a mask but I know for a fact that some establishments are continuing to encourage them because they understand the local customer base... Even though the same business owners would be among the first to take em off and party otherwise.  So I then put one on out of respect for them and the tough 15 mos they've had.  Science won't keep the lights on by itself.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

16 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Yes. I know several people who want to keep the masking and restrictions in place because of that. Every time a new variant is identified one guy I know had a come apart. His newest fear is a Vietnamese variant.  He’s petrified.

I think some people will need psychological help in the future in all seriousness.

Theres people who will never go out again. 

I was out at the grocery store today and it was about 60/40 for wearing/not wearing ratio. I actually expected it to be a bigger ratio but was pleasantly surprised to see it nearing 50/50. 

Given a 0.7% positivity rate and nearly 2/3rds of adults in the state fully vaccinated, there’s not much left to fear now. 

• Like 2

Just a little info from an outsider...

We are 7 weeks past the end of our statewide mask mandate in Indiana, and there is still a lot of mask wearing at indoor places around here regardless of whether the business is requiring it or not.  There are more and more people not wearing one, but it's a very slow process at least around here.  We are still near 5% positivity rate statewide, so I'm not sure if that is factoring in, but honestly I'm not sure how much the average person follows the positivity rate on a frequent basis.

I'm not fully vaxxed yet... and I figure I've come this far, so I'll wear one a while longer.  Once I'm fully vaxxed, off it goes, wherever I have a choice in the matter.  

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was out at the grocery store today and it was about 60/40 for wearing/not wearing ratio. I actually expected it to be a bigger ratio but was pleasantly surprised to see it nearing 50/50. 

Given a 0.7% positivity rate and nearly 2/3rds of adults in the state fully vaccinated, there’s not much left to fear now. 

This is about right for here as well. Just got back from the store, noticeably larger number of beautiful maskless faces shining including employees

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

It was weird for about a day after the mask mandate was dropped. Give it time, even the uptight MA people will come around. If they don’t, who cares? Just do your thing. I don’t spend much time worrying about what people think about my fashion choices so I wasn’t thinking about if people would judge my maskless face. 

It's typically rural mentality here in Ayer, Mass this morning.

The only grocery store in town has people with masks either not on at all, on completely like they still seek the womb... or pulled down to the chin as some sort of vague virtue vestige.  The clerk tells me they are going with the state protocol but are  "...Leaving it up to the customers if the wanna wear them"

I'm thinking, "that is the dumbest 'policy' I've ever hear"  - like what's the f'n alternative ?   Make people take off their masks??  This is the rural world of western civility -

Bottom line is, you don't have to wear the damn thing - just say that ... plebeian ftl.  

It's also consistent with rural mentality to keep going masks with that half and half ... They'll do so until they either start to feel silly as it sinks in 'gee - I don't have to wear this.'  

Some may never get that message though - I mean, mask wearing due to industrial air contamination in parts of China is part of normal scenery down streets and thoroughfares in their urban settings in the best of times.  And with pathogenic fears now that cannot be resolved with logic and facts ( eh hm)  as carried on by the razor sharp brain bastion of the 75th percentile... you can assume a goodly number of Americans will also just be permanent mask devoted...  At least  - I wonder so ...

5 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Went to Wegmans in Westwood today, and it was about 80 to 90 percent masked, myself included. Mask is no big deal to me, and I have enjoyed not even catching a cold for more than a year. On the commuter rail yesterday, and masks will still be required.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

There’s a cold going around out here and I had it last week. First time in almost 2 years I’ve been sick. My doctor said people are freaking out about it because it’s accompanied by a dry cough.
 Her response to people is “the vaccine is just for one thing not for everything, you are still going to get sick from stuff”.   ^_^

I think you’ll see more and more people drop masks as the summer heat gets turned up...plus the vax rate will keep slowly increasing and severe covid numbers will keep tending toward zero.   

When it is freezing out, the mask is actually useful to keep warm too but it becomes a real pain in the ass when it’s 93/70 outside. 

19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There’s a cold going around out here and I had it last week. First time in almost 2 years I’ve been sick. My doctor said people are freaking out about it because it’s accompanied by a dry cough.
 Her response to people is “the vaccine is just for one thing not for everything, you are still going to get sick from stuff”.   ^_^

Viral interference is real. I think the return of other viral infections is actually a really good sign the amount of COVID circulating out there has really dropped.