Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, you definitely hit a wall eventually on being able to drink and recover easily. Last few years, it takes less and less to make me feel like death the next day. I have cut back on drinking during the pandemic. It’s tough but worth it I think. 

I’m a bit north of 50 and have figured out that a lot of foods, especially deep-fried or processed, give me as bad of a hangover as alcohol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Just turned 50.   Can't drink nearly as much as I could even 5 yrs ago.  Agree the hangover the next day isn't worth it-weekends are short enough even on a good day

I dialed it way back this year. You can imagine how much casual day drinking goes on working at a brewery.  My tolerance was insane but that doesn’t make it any better for your body.
I have a 10-year-old I would like to spend a whole bunch more quality years with.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, you definitely hit a wall eventually on being able to drink and recover easily. Last few years, it takes less and less to make me feel like death the next day. I have cut back on drinking during the pandemic. It’s tough but worth it I think. 

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’m a bit north of 50 and have figured out that a lot of foods, especially deep-fried or processed, give me as bad of a hangover as alcohol.

My problem is mentality. After football I didn't care anymore. I "rewarded" myself for years. Now my body is teaching me a lesson back. And sending quite the message.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I always thought the vaccine was to stop severe illness hospitalizations and/or death.  Maybe that woman in the article is on a ventilator or even worse without the vaccine?

Is it similar to wearing a seatbelt can reduce your chances of dying or serious injury in a car wreck... but it can still happen.

I guess I always looked at it as a probability scale and tipping the odds in your favor as much as possible.  But not that it’s 100% in your favor.

My woods crash in 1981 was likely the 1 in 1000 where not being belted might've been helpful.  I was lying along the dash when we hit and went from +25 to -20 in less than 1/10 second.  Slight fracture on left leg, 2 sprained ankles, cartilage damage in ribcage (a month of painful breathing) and level 2 spinal fusion at C-4 in 2011.  However, the degree to which the right side of the cab was compromised probably would've meant a high speed face plant on the dash and/or door post and life threatening head injuries.  Ironically, we all began wearing seat belts in the woods after that.

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My woods crash in 1981 was likely the 1 in 1000 where not being belted might've been helpful.  I was lying along the dash when we hit and went from +25 to -20 in less than 1/10 second.  Slight fracture on left leg, 2 sprained ankles, cartilage damage in ribcage (a month of painful breathing) and level 2 spinal fusion at C-4 in 2011.  However, the degree to which the right side of the cab was compromised probably would've meant a high speed face plant on the dash and/or door post and life threatening head injuries.  Ironically, we all began wearing seat belts in the woods after that.

Yikes!  

41 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

My problem is mentality. After football I didn't care anymore. I "rewarded" myself for years. Now my body is teaching me a lesson back. And sending quite the message.

Wait til you guys hit 60, I'm almost cutting out any alcohol, just have a couple on the nights I drink, hangovers suck and It takes longer to recover.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

Wait til you guys hit 60, I'm almost cutting out any alcohol, just have a couple on the nights I drink, hangovers suck and It takes longer to recover.

Stopping before the point of no return is my issue. Once I have a couple I have a couple more and so on. For me, there is clearly some magical line that once I cross I will have a hangover the next day no matter how much water I drink. If I stay under that line, I’m fine. I mostly just drink when out for dinner or at social events now. I cut out the nightly drinking at home. 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Here’s more toenail talk.

Went to the podiatrist.... he numbed it and cut the edge of the nail off. Didn’t use acid in the nail bed.... didn’t want to do that coming off infection he said.

Bout what I thought he’d do. Hopefully it won’t come back. Without the phenol it could. But I get why he didn’t want to do it. 

10 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Bout what I thought he’d do. Hopefully it won’t come back. Without the phenol it could. But I get why he didn’t want to do it. 

Yup, you were pretty much spot on. He said if it starts to do it again, come back, and he’ll put the acid on it. 

I couldn’t believe how fast it was... basically like the doc could have done it in his sleep.

Also:

image.jpeg.2c8600bf3b4067d14c685a1f3df2bcbc.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yup, you were pretty much spot on. He said if it starts to do it again, come back, and he’ll put the acid on it. 

I couldn’t believe how fast it was... basically like the doc could have done it in his sleep.

Also:

image.jpeg.2c8600bf3b4067d14c685a1f3df2bcbc.jpeg

Lol. Yea, it’s pretty simple. Did he use cold spray to numb it up before he put in the needle? It helps. That lidocaine can sting. Especially if it’s infected. The bugs make the environment around it acidic and that lidocaine is a base. The acid-base reaction can sting like a bitch. 

8 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Lol. Yea, it’s pretty simple. Did he use cold spray to numb it up before he put in the needle? It helps. That lidocaine can sting. Especially if it’s infected. The bugs make the environment around it acidic and that lidocaine is a base. The acid-base reaction can sting like a bitch. 

Lol... he actually did... he sprayed the toe and then immediately went in with the needle. It hurt some, obviously, but not much. 

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Lol... he actually did... he sprayed the toe and then immediately went in with the needle. It hurt some, obviously, but not much. 

He knows what he’s doing. I always liked doing them. Really satisfying pulling that out with the forceps and showing the patient what was causing all that pain. Sometimes it’s just a little sliver but they can make a grown man cry. 
Most of the ones I’ve done have been in women. They insist on wearing ill fitting heels. My buddy is an orthopedic surgeon. He does more bunion surgery on women who wear tight heels than he does knee replacements..

5 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any idea how many in that age group received a vaccine in CT?  I don't have a clue how common that condition occurs.  In the Pfizer study of teens I don't think that condition was cited as a possible side effect.

Bears watching for sure, but it could be noise/coincidence at this point       Numbers/stats need to be analyzed 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

He knows what he’s doing. I always liked doing them. Really satisfying pulling that out with the forceps and showing the patient what was causing all that pain. Sometimes it’s just a little sliver but they can make a grown man cry. 
Most of the ones I’ve done have been in women. They insist on wearing ill fitting heels. My buddy is an orthopedic surgeon. He does more bunion surgery on women who wear tight heels than he does knee replacements..

I remember when I had that toe (left big toe) worked on 25 something years ago being amazed at how deftly the doctor went at it and removed the offending nail section.  He didn’t hold back. 

4 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Ask someone who knows what they are doing. Then don't argue with them when they give you an answer based on their experience. 

Like no matter how many times i tell some oaf that there are not abortion cells, or baby cow parts in the vaccine, they come back and throw the product insert or paper in my face that has fetal bovine serum on it. I tell them its a supplement used to culture cells in and in no way is the vaccine I still get static and am raked over the coals. Fook that.

You do know that is basically the entire point of this forum, don’t you?  If a meteorologist who has gone to school and honed his craft through the years doesn’t think it’s going to snow in your back yard, they obviously don’t know what they’re talking about. If people start following your advice, AMWX is done. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I’m old enough to remember when Hugh Laurie was much more known for this role:

image.jpeg.af661884f61fb244544d26f95de5dd55.jpeg

This guy wants to volunteer..

On 5/24/2021 at 4:50 AM, noforsnow said:

SYDH at what? Sometimes people are going to or coming from places where they wear masks. Maybe volunteer to monitor compliance with the no mask wearing in cars rule. Very important to stamp out this offensive behavior ASAP.

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s crazy how much the toe/nail pain can be from something so minor...and easy to fix with a cut if it’s numb. It’s such a basic thing that feels incredible afterward, but can also make you black out from pain if you don’t prepare the area.

49 minutes ago, mreaves said:

You do know that is basically the entire point of this forum, don’t you?  If a meteorologist who has gone to school and honed his craft through the years doesn’t think it’s going to snow in your back yard, they obviously don’t know what they’re talking about. If people start following your advice, AMWX is done. 

Percentage of time Mets get snow amounts wrong versus Drs diagnosis?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha yeah!  Docs diagnosis are pretty damn good. The weather and snow amounts are so much more variable... the atmospheric system seems more unpredictable.

Medicine is actually pretty straightforward. TV shows makes it look like there’s all this voodoo and differential diagnosis stuff that goes on. Eh…not really.

As far as scientific papers go, they really arent meant for the general public to read and interpret. I dont mean that to come off elitist. People can read them all they want. But throwing a couple papers up they googled while drinking a beer after dinner and saying, ah hah, can be misleading and not really saying what they think it says. 
Biology is really complicated and nuanced. A lot of these papers need context, what has come before, knowledge of the biology being discussed, how a small set of experiments or observations described fit into the area of biology being discussed etc. Anybody can google up Pubmed and pull stuff up but sometimes what is presented in the paper needs a ton of prior knowledge to really understand it. I’ve been at this more years than I care to count and there’s still stuff I read that’s pretty dense and makes me actually go back and read some of the reference papers to understand what the manuscript is trying to convey. 
And the way, the run of the mill MD knows shyte about science and research. Folks around here have a different perspective. We’re in the number 1 area for MD scientists in the US. A lot of MDs do research and are really good scientists. Especially pathologists and oncologist. But the reality is most MDs are clueless. Sure they might be good surgeons, best in the profession. But a lot of MDs know squat about biology. My wife’s OB/GYN is a good clinician and knows how to do a c-section, but she was an English major who took enough biology to get into med school. Once they get there, they get very little biology, immunology, etc. My dads a plumber, but I promise you I could teach him a little anatomy, watch me do it, and I’d have him doing general surgery removing an appendix a gall bladder, or resecting a cancerous bowel  pretty quick. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Medicine is actually pretty straightforward. TV shows makes it look like there’s all this voodoo and differential diagnosis stuff that goes on. Eh…not really.

As far as scientific papers go, they really arent meant for the general public to read and interpret. I dont mean that to come off elitist. Biology is really complicated and nuanced. A lot of these papers need context, what has come before, knowledge of the biology being discussed, how a small set of experiments or observations described fit into the area of biology being discussed etc. Anybody can google up Pubmed and pull stuff up but sometimes what is presented in the paper needs a ton of prior knowledge to really understand it. I’ve been at this more years than I care to count and there’s still stuff I read that’s pretty dense and makes me actually go back and read some of the reference papers to understand what the manuscript is trying to convey. 

Good stuff, everyone has a specialized knowledge base.  You're a good dude.... give knowledge to the group when the discussion is in your wheelhouse, but are also humble and recognize the situation.  That's a conversation with someone who has background in it.

• Like 1