Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Scheduled an appointment with a podiatrist for tomorrow morning.... curious what they end up doing.

Numb it up, cut  the ingrown side down to the nail bed, work it out with a pair of forceps, trim a little skin off, then kill the edge of the nail bed with a cotton swab soaked in phenol so it doesn't come back.

At least that's what I'd do :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Numb it up, cut  the ingrown side down to the nail bed, work it out with a pair of forceps, trim a little skin off, then kill the edge of the nail bed with a cotton swab soaked in phenol so it doesn't come back.

I’ll let you know how close to that it ends up going.

This is turning into a gigantic pain in my ass. Working outside and wearing boots all day certainly isn’t helping. Almost seems like the area is becoming inflamed and more painful again.

(and for those who commented before, no I am not diabetic)

40 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Hugh Laurie 2 | Hugh laurie, Dr house, Tv show house

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, radarman said:

Study in Nature showing that even mild Covod cases produce a long term immune response.  Further reiterating that antibody counts in blood are not a good proxy for effective immunity.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03647-4

It's kind of criminal how this experimental vaccine was shame-forced into so many arms when many people probably didn't even need it because they had natural antibodies. People should have been told to get checked for antibodies before getting the vaccine.

And now some are still desperate to inject little kids even when the pandemic is clearly over in this country.

Sick.

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's kind of criminal how this experimental vaccine was shame-forced into so many arms when many people probably didn't even need it because they had natural antibodies. People should have been told to get checked for antibodies before getting the vaccine.

And now some are still desperate to inject little kids even when the pandemic is clearly over in this country.

Sick.

If someone had covid and doesn't want to get the shot, they appear to have science backing their position.  How folks deal with peer pressure is on them.  What's troubling are the number of politicians and govt health agencies that will quote studies pointing to diminished antibody counts compared with the vaccine, but seem blissfully unaware of studies in the same publications showing why that was not really an appropriate metric to begin with.  It's like using tree ring temperature data when you had a well calibrated weather station in the same woodlot. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Sick.

the pandemic is likely over due to the shots in the arms. PFE and Moderna have a 90% plus success rate at preventing severe disease-that's a modern day medical miracle.    

No shots in arms and this thing is likely still going on with 75-150K cases a day and additional older people dying probably 2000+ deaths a day instead of the current 250-500 and we'd like still have capacity limits, no parades/fireworks etc etc.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, radarman said:

If someone had covid and doesn't want to get the shot, they appear to have science backing their position.  How folks deal with peer pressure is on them.  What's troubling are the number of politicians and govt health agencies that will quote studies pointing to diminished antibody counts compared with the vaccine, but seem blissfully unaware of studies in the same publications showing why that was not really an appropriate metric to begin with.  It's like using tree ring temperature data when you had a well calibrated weather station in the same woodlot. 

Good illustration, though with one (off topic a bit) caveat:  IMO, using tree rings as proxy for temps has low validity except where a tree species is near the northern or southern edge of its range.  Growing season moisture seem to have a far greater effect.  I've measured a small number (currently 10) of trees at 2-week intervals both where I now live and when we were in Gardiner, and have seen little correlation between growth and temp, large correlation between growth and precip.  In 1995, hottest JJA of my 13 in Gardiner, RA was scarce between mid June and mid Sept and diameter growth stopped in midsummer on most of the 6 trees I was measuring there, then had a bit of late September growth at a time when other seasons showed growth was ended.  Last year had the lowest growth of my 9 seasons of measurements here, and had only bits of RA between mid July and Sept 30.  Anecdotal and small sample size, but other Maine foresters/researchers also noted the reduced growth and vigor of white pine due to the 1995 drought.  (Current growth rates are confounded by the effect of needlecast fungi in many places.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

the pandemic is likely over due to the shots in the arms. PFE and Moderna have a 90% plus success rate at preventing severe disease-that's a modern day medical miracle.    

No shots in arms and this thing is likely still going on with 75-150K cases a day and additional older people dying probably 2000+ deaths a day instead of the current 250-500 and we'd like still have capacity limits, no parades/fireworks etc etc.  

Yes, the vaccine helped. But so did natural immunity.

Herein lies one of the major problems in the crypto market.  Not that leveraging isn't a major issue in the stock market also.

I've said several times over the past year that these sudden big drops we see are the whales liquidating the foolish, over leveraged longs.  If you want to gamble big then be prepared to lose big. Period.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/25/bitcoin-crashes-driven-by-big-margin-bets-new-crypto-banking.html

Again it's not just crytpos, the entire global economy is over leveraged.  The current derivatives market is over 600 Trillion dollars. Think about that.  That is not going to end well for anyone but the ultra rich.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 5:47 AM, HoarfrostHubb said:

With the pollen and dryness I would consider a mask when I mow the lawn.   

Looks like i'm  wearing a tyvek suit again to mow the yard, Dust bowl and stirred up the brown tail moth hairs and i've had another outbreak, Sucks.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yikes

Yeah myocarditis from COVID is what kept Red Sox ace (former ace?) pitcher E-Rod out of the sport last year.  Seems as though that was one of the larger risks for healthy individuals contracting COVID, having cardiac inflammation.  Not surprising there are some cases from the vaccine too I guess, though sounds like they don’t know if it’s related.  One would guess it is given the original virus acting that way.

The CDC has yet to determine if the vaccines were the cause of the reported heart condition.

“What’s important to know and to recognize is that the rates that we’re seeing of myocarditis are no higher than what we would experience normally,” Dr. Ted O’Connell told NBC San Diego. “So, we don’t know if it’s associated with the vaccine or not.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The CDC has yet to determine if the vaccines were the cause of the reported heart condition.

“What’s important to know and to recognize is that the rates that we’re seeing of myocarditis are no higher than what we would experience normally,” Dr. Ted O’Connell told NBC San Diego. “So, we don’t know if it’s associated with the vaccine or not.”

Given the amount of myocarditis from COVID-19, it wouldn’t be surprising if the vaccine mimics that in some way at times.  I can see the connection.  I mean that was one of the biggest issues with healthy younger people who got COVID... longer-lasting cardiac inflammation.

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Given the amount of myocarditis from COVID-19, it wouldn’t be surprising if the vaccine mimics that in some way at times.  I can see the connection.  I mean that was one of the biggest issues with healthy younger people who got COVID... longer-lasting cardiac inflammation.

yeah, but let's keep jamming the vax down the throats of the young kids. Are babies next?

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

13 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

yeah, but let's keep jamming the vax down the throats of the young kids. Are babies next?

18 in CT alone is a little disturbing. If it were 18 nationwide, I'd say background. But that many in one small state like CT seems to me to be more of an issue. 

I'm a big believer in the vax, and I was going to let my 15 yo get it. But, I'm going tp hold off at this point so i can understand this better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Herein lies one of the major problems in the crypto market.  Not that leveraging isn't a major issue in the stock market also.

I've said several times over the past year that these sudden big drops we see are the whales liquidating the foolish, over leveraged longs.  If you want to gamble big then be prepared to lose big. Period.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/25/bitcoin-crashes-driven-by-big-margin-bets-new-crypto-banking.html

Again it's not just crytpos, the entire global economy is over leveraged.  The current derivatives market is over 600 Trillion dollars. Think about that.  That is not going to end well for anyone but the ultra rich.

This is what happens when "don't fight the Fed" and "BTFD" become the mantras of the day. People have come to truly believe securities only go up, then margin their accounts to accentuate returns (because why not?). Ultimately they'll end up ruined and the Fed will either lose the power to keep all its bubbles inflated or permanently annihilate our currency bailing out all the irresponsible risk takers for the umpteenth time.