Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Flights and hotels / AirBnBs are cheap, but car rental, gas, and food/booze are $$$

Things we are planning on doing..

Glacial kayak tour

Icelandic horses

Golden Circle

Volcano (hopefully)

Viking restaurant 

Diamond beach / basalt columns

Lots of waterfalls.

Not sure we are doing any pools/ Blue Lagoon... 

My wife did all but the Viking restaurant, I'll be going next time, she only was there 3-4 days, I'd like to spend at least 5 there.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

There may have been more to the story on the regulation side , I just typed that quickly . Interesting thou how there announcements have had quite the price response 

Still lots day traders that are going to rollover on any negative news.  There are enough longs to hold the 37k support line and that's why you are seeing such a high volume battle there right now. 

edit:  of course it would only take one whale dumping millions in BTC to drop it back towards that 35k support.

Uhg sorry to here.  Nice long life though!  It's been a day of sad pet stories.
It just sucks though as he only had arthritis in his hind leg but went down hill rapidly over last two weeks. Of course he had other issues like chronic sinusitis that required two different drugs plus hyperthyroid which is pretty common in older cats. He was chasing chipmunks couple weeks ago and we think he further injured himself. He was dragging his leg around for the last week. Tried some other drugs for the pain but didn't seem to have any effect. The sister from the same litter we still have and is also 17 is still doing well. We also have one other around 10yo, but neither have the loving personality that Kevin had

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Sad stories about losing pets.   Our Golden is 13 and we’re hoping she survives until we return from our traveling to Chicago (again).  Wife flew out there this morning.  I’ll start driving tomorrow.   Our cats lived long (16 and 20) but 13 is very old for a golden retriever.   She eats better than we do to hopefully keep her going.

• Like 4

@HoarfrostHubb We ended spending some time in the airport waiting for another party and watching primarily Americans stock up on booze there was pretty sad...until I realized how much it cost outside of duty free! Alcohol is exorbitantly taxed in Norway too. I thought I would be eating seafood all the time but found the restaurants did not to have a ton of fish...I don't remember investigating extensively but figured it was all exported...like you find some coffee growing, less prosperous countries tend to drink a lot crystal, instant coffee! Gas is expensive but you need to go out of your way to rent a large American SUV. I was just speaking about this with a friend, make sure your credit card(s) are PIN enabled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Traditional Icelandic food (and Scandinavian food in general) is a disgusting abomination. It's starvation-diet peasant food the lower classes ate so they didn't starve to death during the long winters. It is not gourmet. LOL

Can’t be much worse then Irish “food”

Corned beef , cabbage , I mean talk about abomination.

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Tough afternoon for crypto. 

All the major coins (and lots of the minor ones) down 10-20%.

China throwing all sorts of FUD into the market because the digital Yuan has been a failure and they don't want it being over run by Bitcoin, Litecoin etc.

The market was due for a correction but the bull run will start back up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Flights and hotels / AirBnBs are cheap, but car rental, gas, and food/booze are $$$

Things we are planning on doing..

Glacial kayak tour

Icelandic horses

Golden Circle

Volcano (hopefully)

Viking restaurant 

Diamond beach / basalt columns

Lots of waterfalls.

Not sure we are doing any pools/ Blue Lagoon... 

Iceland won't be cheap but should be better than when we were there in 2017.  Current exchange rate for Icelandic Kroner is about 130 to the dollar.  It was closer to 100:1 four years ago - springing 3500 ISK for lunch was instructive.  As a Maine forester I preferred Norway because it has trees (and the Bergen fish market was wonderful if crowded) - Vikings burnt most of Iceland's forests as firewood 1,000 years ago and the climate isn't friendly for reforestation so other than some spruce patches planted in dooryards, the "forests" are less than impressive.  Classic comment from a host on the Golden Circle tour: "If you're lost in an Icelandic forest, stand up!"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

China throwing all sorts of FUD into the market because the digital Yuan has been a failure and they don't want it being over run by Bitcoin, Litecoin etc.

The market was due for a correction but the bull run will start back up. 

ADA 1.40

Do you have a number you’re thinking about in your sight for jumping in? I’ve been leaning under 1.25.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Traditional Icelandic food (and Scandinavian food in general) is a disgusting abomination. It's starvation-diet peasant food the lower classes ate so they didn't starve to death during the long winters. It is not gourmet. LOL

Tastes certainly differ from person to person.  I loved the food in both Iceland and Norway, but especially the latter.  Having visited son and DIL in Japan 17 months earlier readied me for not-fully-cooked fish, but the Norwegians smoke it before serving.  The breakfast buffets at the 3 non-AirBnB places we stayed were incredible - bread as good as any I've eaten, a huge assortment of items with many that would be familiar to any American and one can quickly walk past the cold-smoked salmon if one chooses - I didn't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Tastes certainly differ from person to person.  I loved the food in both Iceland and Norway, but especially the latter.  Having visited son and DIL in Japan 17 months earlier readied me for not-fully-cooked fish, but the Norwegians smoke it before serving.  The breakfast buffets at the 3 non-AirBnB places we stayed were incredible - bread as good as any I've eaten, a huge assortment of items with many that would be familiar to any American and one can quickly walk past the cold-smoked salmon if one chooses - I didn't.

I love Norwegian food but also grew up on a lot of their fish dishes as my grandparents came through Ellis Island in the 1940s from Norway.

Cheese, cold fish, great bread.  It is basic in a lot of ways but breakfast is the best IMO.

This is what we ate for Christmas Eve for two decades, ha.  Carrots, peas, shrimp and fish ball soup.  Nothing says Christmas like fish balls.

1D6BC744-CF9F-4554-A0BB-FB6361F20BA0.jpeg.e23750501073c582c7fff1463eeccf94.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Iceland won't be cheap but should be better than when we were there in 2017.  Current exchange rate for Icelandic Kroner is about 130 to the dollar.  It was closer to 100:1 four years ago - springing 3500 ISK for lunch was instructive.  As a Maine forester I preferred Norway because it has trees (and the Bergen fish market was wonderful if crowded) - Vikings burnt most of Iceland's forests as firewood 1,000 years ago and the climate isn't friendly for reforestation so other than some spruce patches planted in dooryards, the "forests" are less than impressive.  Classic comment from a host on the Golden Circle tour: "If you're lost in an Icelandic forest, stand up!"

Yeah. I didn’t know about the lack of forests until we started researching this trip.  The upside for me is I studied geology for my undergraduate so even without the active volcano it is a geologists dream.  

27 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

So no Florida, Disney is booked till July. We are going out west, Death Valley, Grand Canyon and San Diego.

Yeah. I know a bunch of people who earn their living due to Disney travel and it is pretty much impossible to score park reservations right now.  The thinking is in a few weeks they expand capacity which should help a little.  
I think you picked a good time to do the other trip.  

32 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Reminds me of this.

Ha, your original point stands for sure.  Gourmet is not how it should be described.  But I love the basic diet of like fish, dairy, potatoes/carrots and really good bread. Definitely a sustainable hearty food culture that developed from all the Scandinavian villages where it’s really hard to get from place to place... so you eat what you have because no one is bringing you anything else when isolated by mountains, glaciers, and water.

My cousins over there are built like brick shithouses.  Own a masonry business moving rock all day and then live off fish, potatoes and cheese.

• Like 1