• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Depressing mood here this morning, brings back memories of my past pets. I remember when I had to put my first one down I was so upset and my mother says, you want to get another one? I said yes, the 14 great years I had with her is worth the anguish you know is coming but it didn't take away from the joy and fun I had with her all those years. And I got another, Callie, she's 5 now.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Totally agree.  Abby the Lab passed 4.5 years ago and on Thursday 10/27 she stopped eating and looked terrible, vomiting mucus, so we knew she'd take her final trip to the vet the next day.  That Friday morning she was in our "pet the dog" hallway (current rescue Lab lays there too) and already getting stiff.  Well, Abby always hated going to the vet. ;)
Was the perfect late October day for burying our longtime friend: 40° with heavy rain.

Good morning tamarack, powderf and DavisS.. ....“Light their way when the darkness surrounds them; Give them love, let it shine all around them. Keep them safe. Keep them warm.” Lyrics that have comforted me over the loss of a fellow creature and friend through the years. May we all find peace. As always ...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had a couple nights there in August of that year on the way to Norway.  Reykjavik AirBnB had a 5'x4' photomosaic of the whole island on the LR wall - utterly fascinating.  Temp never topped 60 while we were there - normal temps.  (And never got to 70 in our 10 days in Norway, with some rain each day there, also not out of the ordinary - Bergen bills itself as Europe's wettest city.)

We did in reverse order - 2018 was sweden and norway and iceland in 2017. flew from Stockholm to Bergen but never entered city, drove from there to Alesund over 5-6 days via Voss, Flam, Jostedalsbreen National Park - spectacular. Oslo is also a wonderful city. Have said here before, would love to go back in winter and spend a few weeks downhill, nordic and ski touring

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Depressing mood here this morning, brings back memories of my past pets. I remember when I had to put my first one down I was so upset and my mother says, you want to get another one? I said yes, the 14 great years I had with her is worth the anguish you know is coming but it didn't take away from the joy and fun I had with her all those years. And I got another, Callie, she's 5 now.

Our older pooch passed two years ago come September.   She was going downhill fast from cancer so we made the appointment for 11 AM on a Saturday. She started moaning and groaning horribly early Saturday morning and I gave her a dropper full of hash oil.  She calmed down, fell asleep and died in my arms about an hour later. Best decision I could’ve made because it kept us from doing that brutal drive to the vet.  I then got all the crying out of the way digging her burial site. 

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Angus said:

We did in reverse order - 2018 was sweden and norway and iceland in 2017. flew from Stockholm to Bergen but never entered city, drove from there to Alesund over 5-6 days via Voss, Flam, Jostedalsbreen National Park - spectacular. Oslo is also a wonderful city. Have said here before, would love to go back in winter and spend a few weeks downhill, nordic and ski touring

Would love to go back, maybe in late fall, and ride Hurtigruten from Bergen to Tromso or Nordcapp, with time to step off the boat at Lofoten and other stops.  One pays for the full trip but can step off for a night or several (at additional expense) and jump aboard the next Hurtigruten ship passing by.  Our 2017 trip started at Oslo and visited Bergen and Trondheim (the three cities where my wife's grandparents were born) along with Flam, Voss, Geiranger, Andalsnes (Trollsteigen!) and Alesund.

• Like 2

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Our older pooch passed two years ago come September.   She was going downhill fast from cancer so we made the appointment for 11 AM on a Saturday. She started moaning and groaning horribly early Saturday morning and I gave her a dropper full of hash oil.  She calmed down, fell asleep and died in my arms about an hour later. Best decision I could’ve made because it kept us from doing that brutal drive to the vet.  I then got all the crying out of the way digging her burial site. 

I had my second go that way and you're right, it was much better than the vet visit. I assume you got another one like the rest of us?

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I had my second go that way and you're right, it was much better than the vet visit. I assume you got another one like the rest of us?

It might sound a little morbid but we tend to get a second dog when the current one hits 8 or 9 years old. It eases the transition. I admit two can be a pain in the ass but it’s also good for them to have a mate.  Luna went a lot younger than we wanted she was only 10.5 but Bowie stepped up nicely into his role within weeks of her passing.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Take good pics for us Dave, my wife went and the pictures she has are awesome, the place is beautiful, the cost is reasonable and we plan to go together soon also.

Flights and hotels / AirBnBs are cheap, but car rental, gas, and food/booze are $$$

Things we are planning on doing..

Glacial kayak tour

Icelandic horses

Golden Circle

Volcano (hopefully)

Viking restaurant 

Diamond beach / basalt columns

Lots of waterfalls.

Not sure we are doing any pools/ Blue Lagoon... 

• Like 3

That’s Luna on the left a few months before she passed.  We belong to an organization that only deals with American dingoes (Carolina Dogs).

Bowie on the right was a hurricane Harvey rescue from Texas. I often wonder if he watched his family drive away without him or watched them drown. 

194EE321-29BF-4C2A-A0B9-16A899D1BDF7.jpeg.3ec23cfce88699006129ed7573dfbe39.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The passings were sad but the memories are sweet.  After Abby passed our dog-loving neighbor gave us a cute little Lab monument, and when the kids/grandkids drove up from SNJ 2 weeks later we had the 5 oldest (#6 had just turned 1) take it down to the gravesite, oldest to youngest with the 3-yo placing it atop the fresh earth.   Now the family is doing "puppy transfers" for a very reputable breeder in SC who has buyers from all over the country, including a lot from the DCA-NYC corridor and the kids are nearly central to that area.  Instead of having the pups taken directly from mom to be alone with the buyers, they get 4-5 days w/o mom but with siblings - makes it much easier on the little furballs when the new owners get them.  Lots of socializing with all our grandkids adds to the fun. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It might sound a little morbid but we tend to get a second dog when the current one hits 8 or 9 years old. It eases the transition. I admit two can be a pain in the ass but it’s also good for them to have a mate.  Luna went a lot younger than we wanted she was only 10.5 but Bowie stepped up nicely into his role within weeks of her passing.

Yea. We have 3. Two bostons are pushing 8 which isn’t too old, they can live into their mid teens...and our boxer is 3. Who knows...the boston’s might outlive the boxer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. We have 3. Two bostons are pushing 8 which isn’t too old, they can live into their mid teens...and our boxer is 3. Who knows...the boston’s might outlive the boxer.

Uh-oh, Scooter is going to start worrying about the poop build up in your yard.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Flights and hotels / AirBnBs are cheap, but car rental, gas, and food/booze are $$$

Glacial kayak tour

Icelandic horses

Golden Circle

Volcano (hopefully)

Viking restaurant 

Lots of waterfalls.

Don't eat the rotten shark. 

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

China announced crackdown on crypto mining 

Notice how the financial media, which largely ignores crypto, has been on a two-week run of negative press.

Great, if china stops mining, the supply will be even tighter and eventually it will drive prices up.

• Like 1

Crypto prices are going to take some dives but eventually settle into a more stable price point.  P2P block chain based financial transactions are here to stay.

There is almost nothing central banks or governments can do about it if private citizens want to use this technology to make untraceable transactions.   Even if BTC was only worth a dollar it can still be used as an agreed-upon medium of exchange as long as enough people agree to it.  

I am definitely trying it.   Our 14 y.o. daughter is in for an interesting experience. She doesn't eat much seafood (fried clams and calamari are about it).  But she is willing to try.

I'm not a huge lamb eater so the seaood will be my go to

I’ve been to Iceland multiples times for work. Hakarl is a tourist trap item. None of the locals eat it. Try some whale sashimi.

Fish Market restaurant in downtown rykavick is awesome

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Crypto prices are going to take some dives but eventually settle into a more stable price point.  P2P block chain based financial transactions are here to stay.

There is almost nothing central banks or governments can do about it if private citizens want to use this technology to make untraceable transactions.   Even if BTC was only worth a dollar it can still be used as an agreed-upon medium of exchange as long as enough people agree to it.  

Im just starting to get into crypto investing. Im learning about the exchanges, wallets and security.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Glacial kayak tour

Icelandic horses

Golden Circle

Volcano (hopefully)

Viking restaurant 

Lots of waterfalls.

All good stuff, I did most of those when I was there.  The Blue Lagoon is discharge water from a geothermal power plant and a bit of a tourist trap, but I'll admit it is neat and I did enjoy it.  it doesn't take very long.  Swimming up to the bar was cool, and your skin is so nice and soft after you get out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I am definitely trying it.   Our 14 y.o. daughter is in for an interesting experience. She doesn't eat much seafood (fried clams and calamari are about it).  But she is willing to try.

I'm not a huge lamb eater so the seaood will be my go to

It just tastes like a piece of fat soaked in ammonia.  Not good. 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Notice how the financial media, which largely ignores crypto, has been on a two-week run of negative press.

Great, if china stops mining, the supply will be even tighter and eventually it will drive prices up.

I was pondering this... Normal supply and demand would certainly suggest you're right... but given that there's no inherent value, if the price excluded mass participation and folks just moved on to other more accessible alternatives, the currency could simply collapse.   This can be said about all currencies of course...  Inflation, for all it's evils, keeps people in the game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There may have been more to the story on the regulation side , I just typed that quickly . Interesting thou how there announcements have had quite the price response