Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

That looks like green ash that is infected with Emerald Ash Borer. It has heavy woodpecker damage to the bark and thats usually a tell tale sign. I bet when you take some bark off you will see the tunnels everywhere from the larvae the killed the tree.

Just about every ash tree here is gone from the pest....

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Phin will like this

Covid-19 booster shot will likely be needed within a year of vaccination, Fauci says

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/19/health/covid-vaccine-booster-anthony-fauci/index.html

Clearly, the government doesn't view the threat of non-vaxxed peopled walking around without masks on as a big deal, and I think many regular people are catching on to that now with the rapid shifts in the guidance, so I expect booster demand to be very low. Many people got the vaccine in the first place not because of a fear of the virus, but because they thought the shot would be required to get back to normal life. Now that they see that is not the case, demand will crater, IMO. We are barely hitting flu shot territory at this point in terms of uptake on the COVID vaccines.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

That looks like green ash that is infected with Emerald Ash Borer. It has heavy woodpecker damage to the bark and thats usually a tell tale sign. I bet when you take some bark off you will see the tunnels everywhere from the larvae the killed the tree.

I don't know if we have EAB up here in Randolph, but they definitely are dead/dying and have heavy bug/woodpecker damage. I had them all taken down because they were too close to the house and dead.

24 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Just about every ash tree here is gone from the pest....

Still have some old healthy ones around here. I collect a lot of seeds every year. The young trees grow like weeds. I have one that has already grown about 2ft out of the central leader this spring. 
39DC97F7-B79E-42B2-B136-49668A672B66.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Clearly, the government doesn't view the threat of non-vaxxed peopled walking around without masks on as a big deal, and I think many regular people are catching on to that now with the rapid shifts in the guidance, so I expect booster demand to be very low. Many people got the vaccine in the first place not because of a fear of the virus, but because they thought the shot would be required to get back to normal life. Now that they see that is not the case, demand will crater, IMO. We are barely hitting flu shot territory at this point in terms of uptake on the COVID vaccines.

Should post this Garbage in the Conspiracy or Politics forum.   You're nauseating.  

• Weenie 4

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Still have some old healthy ones around here. I collect a lot of seeds every year. The young trees grow like weeds. I have one that has already grown about 2ft out of the central leader this spring. 
39DC97F7-B79E-42B2-B136-49668A672B66.jpeg

I'm assuming the younger ones are not targeted by the ash borer, just mature trees?

42 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

If there is a heaven ...and I make it in ... my version of it watches as CNN's dissolution sends a diaspora of ethically challenged cockroaches fleeing for the hills being chased by a karma cloud of misfortunes, both physical and mental/spiritual ... so incomprehensible torturous that god him/her self just chalks off as the one anomaly that cannot be constrained -

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just my cynical hot take ... but, the price bounce across the board of all these 'society scaffolding' commodities is ad nauseam predictable and frankly ... reflects a species that not only deserves a Pandemic ...they could use a Carrington Event + a Super Volcano concurrent in the same week of the same calendar year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'm assuming the younger ones are not targeted by the ash borer, just mature trees?

Yeah, but my point is we have a lot of healthy large trees around still that drop tons of seed. All of my ash seeds are hand collected by me…except for the blue ash I ordered. 

• Like 1

Fyi, you know ... you can get a healthier hotdog option now and they are fantastic with all the taste-bud savory goodness as the tumorigenic, Industrial Food's Complex version of them from mid last Century, too.

I get 'em all the time.  Of course...you have to enter a "Whole Paycheck" to get them...but, they are even 'Uncured'.  The sodium isn't even huge, either - they are like a 'healthy' choice that takes a D-/F+ staple almost to even B- when balancing (nutritional value + not causing scrotal nodules)/2 ... 

In fact, I can eat as many as three of them with an organic bun option ( also for just 20$ a package at the same "Capital Darwinian" purveyance ) ...and wake up the next morning; never having (yet) suffered the morning with that burr-behind-the-left-eyeball headache that you risk getting from nitrate monosodiumglutemated triglyceride dynamite stick f'ing a bleach bun like it's circa 1978, when that real meal looks like it ain't gon' happen and fair-ground vendor's steam cart is the only option- 

mm-good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I don't know if we have EAB up here in Randolph, but they definitely are dead/dying and have heavy bug/woodpecker damage. I had them all taken down because they were too close to the house and dead.

I'm pretty sure you're well north of the bug's presence in NH - first detected a bit east of CON.  Also, that's undoubtedly white ash - green ash is quite rare in NNE outside of street trees.  Those pieces show a lot of mineral (the brown centers) and not much sapwood, characteristic of slow growing low-vigor trees.  You're also at an elevation that probably took a hit from the 1998 ice storm.  On the public lot 10 miles NW from LEW the ice damage was terrible - twigs with ice the diameter of a Pringles can - and many of the surviving white ash had so much defect that when we harvested 17 years later trees would shatter when felled.  Your wood looks a lot better but I'm not surprised it was dying back.  At least it's easy to split.

• Like 1

Just now, tamarack said:

I'm pretty sure you're well north of the bug's presence in NH - first detected a bit east of CON.  Also, that's undoubtedly white ash - green ash is quite rare in NNE outside of street trees.  Those pieces show a lot of mineral (the brown centers) and not much sapwood, characteristic of slow growing low-vigor trees.  You're also at an elevation that probably took a hit from the 1998 ice storm.  On the public lot 10 miles NW from LEW the ice damage was terrible - twigs with ice the diameter of a Pringles can - and many of the surviving white ash had so much defect that when we harvested 17 years later trees would shatter when felled.  Your wood looks a lot better but I'm not surprised it was dying back.  At least it's easy to split.

Yep, definitely white ash. I have been taking down a lot of it. All dead/dying. It splits nicely and is very dry right out of the gate.