Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Two other travel items:

1) Rental cars are really pricy and scarce still in many places. Expect possible long lines at the counter and having to take a different type of car than you wanted.

2) Uber/Lyft have let me down a few times, which never happened in the past. The app searches and then never finds a car. A couple times, the car was on the way and then never arrived. 

I expect these things to get worse before they get better as travel demand skyrockets this summer. Just need to factor more time into your plans, IMO.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

A couple years before I moved north in 1976 to work for Seven Islands, one of their techs was driving his sled back toward his truck, using the track he'd broken on the unplowed road while riding in several hours earlier.  Turned a corner and there was a cow moose standing on the track - much preferring the now-firmed snow to the belly-deep powder off to the side.  He began yelling at the moose and inching the sled closer, until the hair stood up on the moose's neck and she headed in. The fellow dove off into the deep stuff and wallowed away from the road while mama moose pretty much destroyed the cowling of the sled before wandering into the woods, fortunately on the opposite side from where the guy had gone.  So he picked up the larger pieces and continued on his way with a story to tell.

And i have heard stories alike and actually saw a video of a moose charging at the sleds, Hey its there woods, We're intruding....lol

33 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

meh, maybe a couple flights here and there. my wife's a FA and planes have been mostly full for awhile now.

Your GF is lifting the mask mandate for everywhere here in Maine May 24th, For the fully vaxed of course.

42 minutes ago, klw said:

To be clear, VT dropped the mask mandates for fully vaccinated people.  Its on the honor system.

https://vtdigger.org/2021/05/14/vermont-relaxes-mask-mandate/

The bold came with the cut and paste and not because it means anything extra important.

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

I did.  

To clarify, I expected our mandate to be like what klw posted.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Start with on the rocks and then move onto a splash of premium ginger beer.

Still doing stripping runs here before i do a spirit run, That should happen next week but i will need to make cuts on a vodka...........:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Let us know how you feel over the course of the next day or 2 ?

I'm getting my 2nd dose ... two weeks - 

I'm hearing wildly varying reports on side-effects ranging from nothing to an ER stint - no rhyme or reason or pattern discernible either.   It's been yes and no for maybe cases in every direction.  Zero pattern.

I guess scatter plot or not...the average is at least a semblance of reaction above zero - so... I'm just trying to get a fix on expectation - ha, not that your experience should tip the registry here... 

I didn't get any notice/report from the first dose, personally -

Just got my second yesterday morning. Mowed my entire almost 2 acre property afterwards, played bball with my kid yesterday evening. Woke up today, feel like I have a mild case of the flu. First shot gave me a pounding headache with a side of fatigue for a couple of days.

I have a family member, 60s that was recently really ill. Said person is one who believes that this virus is some government hoax, it's nothing more than getting a bad cold. Refused to be tested or even go to a doctor. Well, they became part of the 99% that made it. Just last week her doctor thought said she had lung cancer because she has been having issues breathing while doing everyday things. Turns out it's not cancer thankfully, but severe scaring in her lungs from a recent illness. But they survived, she may very well be like this the rest of her life and could knock an x - amount of years off of her life as well. 

These stories aren't rare, like some people want you to believe and that is not a MSM talking point, that is just the facts.

I don't fear Covid, like I don't fear driving to the grocery store, or even cooking chicken. But I always wear my seat belt and wash my hands after handling raw chicken. 

Some people act like wearing a mask while at the grocery store, during a pandemic, is equal to giving up a kidney to a stranger....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dryslot said:

And i have heard stories alike and actually saw a video of a moose charging at the sleds, Hey its there woods, We're intruding....lol

i was in a group of sleds in a similar situation this past winter. Came up a trail and there were 3 moose standing in the trail. one bolted to the left (that one was a baby), the biggest one bolted to the right, and one stood her ground (the mom) on the right side of the trail. she didn’t like the fact that there were now several snowmobiles and humans between her and her baby. The guys in the front of the group had stopped and were yelling at all of us in the back to back up, as they started turning around. before they all got turned around, she moved across the trail over closer to where the baby was. I was the last person in the pack of 9 sleds and had  no idea what was going on up front, other than i could see. it was  pretty scary for those guys up front, but she never charged.

Just now, SJonesWX said:

i was in a group of sleds in a similar situation this past winter. Came up a trail and there were 3 moose standing in the trail. one bolted to the left (that one was a baby), the biggest one bolted to the right, and one stood her ground (the mom) on the right side of the trail. she didn’t like the fact that there were now several snowmobiles and humans between her and her baby. The guys in the front of the group had stopped and were yelling at all of us in the back to back up, as they started turning around. before they all got turned around, she moved across the trail over closer to where the baby was. I was the last person in the pack of 9 sleds and had  no idea what was going on up front, other than i could see. it was  pretty scary for those guys up front, but she never charged.

It happens more then anyone would think, A cow moose can get pretty aggressive if she has a calf around and feels threatened, They prefer to walk a nice groomed trail rather then be belly high in powder offtrail.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Just got my second yesterday morning. Mowed my entire almost 2 acre property afterwards, played bball with my kid yesterday evening. Woke up today, feel like I have a mild case of the flu. First shot gave me a pounding headache with a side of fatigue for a couple of days.

I have a family member, 60s that was recently really ill. Said person is one who believes that this virus is some government hoax, it's nothing more than getting a bad cold. Refused to be tested or even go to a doctor. Well, they became part of the 99% that made it. Just last week her doctor thought said she had lung cancer because she has been having issues breathing while doing everyday things. Turns out it's not cancer thankfully, but severe scaring in her lungs from a recent illness. But they survived, she may very well be like this the rest of her life and could knock an x - amount of years off of her life as well. 

These stories aren't rare, like some people want you to believe and that is not a MSM talking point, that is just the facts.

I don't fear Covid, like I don't fear driving to the grocery store, or even cooking chicken. But I always wear my seat belt and wash my hands after handling raw chicken. 

Some people act like wearing a mask while at the grocery store, during a pandemic, is equal to giving up a kidney to a stranger....

The illness ( covid ) is real..

The problem here is with the exact nature of the infection part of this infecting agent:   it not 'one size fits all'

Some die

Most don't

In between .. there is vast spectrum of just about anything imaginable as to what someone experiences... I've heard of brain damage even.  Jesus. Heart scarring this ...lung scarring that... black toes for f sake.  While for some... just a head-cold. For others it has mimicked Norwalk shitting... Of course...fever and fatigue may or may not accompany, or be the only thing -

It's not like BB plague or Ebola... or Norwalk ... These affect like 99% of population pretty much in the same identical way.  Everyone is visible stricken the same that gets them.

The uncertainty is lending to a lot of doubt mechanics frankly because it's not every identifiable ...and it is happening in an overall culture that is just as plagued with systemic/social distrust that is as virulent as the Pandemic itself.  

16 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Premium Rum is one of the few dark liquors that hasn’t gone through the roof yet.  You can still pick up bottles of 10 and 15 year-old rum small batch Caribbean Rums for under 50 bucks.

Now that you mentioned rum, May have to crack this open and try some.

IMG_5835.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The problem here is with the exact nature of the infection part of this infecting agent:   it not 'one size fits all'

Some die

Most don't

In between .. there is vast spectrum of just about anything imaginable as to what someone experiences... I've heard of brain damage even.  Jesus. Heart scarring this ...lung scarring that... black toes for f sake.  While for some... just a head-cold. For others it has mimicked Norwalk shitting... Of course...fever and fatigue may or may not accompany, or be the only thing -

It's not like BB plague or Ebola... or Norwalk ... These affect like 99% of population pretty much in the same identical way.  Everyone is visible stricken the same that gets them.

The uncertainty is lending to a lot of doubt mechanics frankly because it's not every identifiable ...and it is happening in an overall culture that is just as plagued with systemic/social distrust that is as virulent as the Pandemic itself.  

i gotta tell ya tip-two things about this post

1. this might be your first post that i was able to read the whole thing 

2. i was able to understand the post, and your point.

well done sir!

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Some die

Most don't

People, especially older people, certainly need to take things seriously and be cautious. 

I am waiting to see the studies on the long-term impacts of COVID infection and the "long haul" phenomena, though. If this virus acts unlike other viruses we know about, that should be enough reason to be a little skeptical of the stories until we know more. The fact that people anecdotally report that in the long-term COVID caused everything from brain trauma to foot aches is another reason to wait for better studies to find real patterns. There are so many confounding variables that need to be considered. For example, the people reporting long term lung damage. Did they smoke? Did they have a concurrent bacterial infection in the lungs (very common with bad respiratory viruses). Was their diminished lung capacity actually measured or just self-reported?

This will be studied in the years to come.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i gotta tell ya tip-two things about this post

1. this might be your first post that i was able to read the whole thing 

2. i was able to understand the post, and your point.

well done sir!

Good afternoon SJWX, To me Tips posts are an anachronism, wrapped in reality/science, sprinkled with metaphysics to be read slowly and enjoyed, albeit carefully .... oh and sometimes it’s catching. As always ....

• Like 1