Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Bingo.  You get it.  This is what I've been saying all along.  We aren't talking emotional or fair.... it's just how the world works.   If people don't want to work for you, you need to do something to get them.  Not stand there and tell them they are lazy or shame them for not taking your crappy job, ha.

Incentives, bonuses for staying on for 6 months, full benefits for even part-time workers, etc.  All that is starting to happen.

That works well if folks in the same business in the area do the same.  If you're the only one who is grossly understaffed, such that opening the treasure chest is the only way to gain employees, the choices my be grim - jack up your prices and risk having much of your clientele leave for cheaper pastures or maintain prices and watch the expense/revenue ratio turn upside down.  Or maybe one finds a way to make their product more attractive.

On 5/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, Spanks45 said:

My wife and I are both scientists, she works in Pharma and we will choose to not vaccinate the kids until longer term studies have been done....We are both pro vaccine, but respect the long term studies on children that are still going through development. In the case of children, I think the benefits from the vaccine are not worth the unknowns from the long terms side effects that may exist when compared to their current risk from contracting Covid...for those in adulthood, I think it is a different story. My position on children could change if the virus becomes more virulent in children, which is still a possibility.

my wife and i are very pro-vaccine as well but this is pretty much our approach right now with respect to our kids (aged 13 and 11)...it's a tough call, but i think we'll give it at least a month or two to see what additional information comes out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MacChump said:

my wife and i are very pro-vaccine as well but this is pretty much our approach right now with respect to our kids (aged 13 and 11)...it's a tough call, but i think we'll give it at least a month or two to see what additional information comes out

Nah... y'all should Peter Griffin the li'l bastards -

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My 5 year old already had covid, so I don't think we'll be getting him vaxxed any time soon.

Know what's weird ( personally..) about all this ?

I've never gotten vaccinated for anything other than standard earlier childhood immunization paneling.   You know ..Polio, TET ... so forth, Not sure what else is in that protocol. I think it's been expanded in recent decades to include Chx Pocks - not sure though.  

I know friends and some family that swear by the flu vaccine every year...  Like up - time to poke. 

I dunno. Maybe I'm just lucky and healthy. I've had head-colds over the years. Who hasn't. Even the occasional run with the Norwalk squirts.  

Then, about 18 months ago...that 2019 November I got a 5 ... 6 day deal that slammed me down with a progression of symptoms that was identical to the COVID series ... BUT, because it was a month before WHO pulled the trigger on declaration of the Pandamn demic I don't get any credit?  Thing is.. at that time the whole thing was so 'novel' there was still no testing sites...not really.  By the time those were around, it would still be another 4 months before they started advising any thing about anti-body tests ...and even that was guess-work.  Probably late last summer and autumn was when they really started to brain-trust the anti-body aspects... T and B cell memory this, and fading rates that... and by then ?  No hope of getting any personal test to see if I had COVID, because it would have been too late - so was thought. I don't even know if that is still the case.

Now, I took the first shot 2 weeks ago. I don't ...well, I'm not aware of having any reaction at all to it. Yet I am hearing that if you had COVID, and survived ... the dosing venture may get dicey for you.

Where the hell was going with this ...oh I had always sort thought meh ... I'm not getting the flu so, why get flu shots.   And that worked for me all along.  But then that thing that 2019 November made me think twice ...and sort of "helped" convince me to get vaxed for this thing.  But seeing as I got through that resolved, either way... I almost wish we knew at a personalized vetted level is we were actually needing vaccines.  It's clear ...not all people do,... It's almost as though the whole thing was like designed to make sure we all go through this vaxing crap at least once in our lives, whether we compromise on belief or not.  haha

Our 14 year old has been wanting to get vaccinated from the get go. For this I would not force her to get it.  She is pretty savvy about this type of thing and understands potential risks long term.  I also won’t talk her out if it or deny this 

plus she wants to travel with us this summer and the place we are heading to requires it. 

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our 14 year old has been wanting to get vaccinated from the get go. For this I would not force her to get it.  She is pretty savvy about this type of thing and understands potential risks long term.  I also won’t talk her out if it or deny this 

plus she wants to travel with us this summer and the place we are heading to requires it. 

we are getting our 12 yr olds vaccinated tomorrow night.   Personal choice for sure and not the sense of urgency with kids vs older adults

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

shouldn't there be jobs that people aren't expected to live on? you know, minimum wage jobs for high school kids. a high school kid is just looking to buy some weed, not support an entire family. 

part of the problem is that many of those high school kids don't want to work.

Well when they see everyone sitting on their asses getting millions doing trades off memes or getting millions of views through YouTube & brand deals from dancing videos on TikTok it kinda cheapens everything.

I don't think people really understand how much things have changed just in the last 10-15 years. The OK Boomer mentality is real.

In what world would people have thought playing video games or streaming all day could earn them more money than being a doctor or lawyer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Well when they see everyone sitting on their asses getting millions doing trades off memes or getting millions of views through YouTube & brand deals from dancing videos on TikTok it kinda cheapens everything.

I don't think people really understand how much things have changed just in the last 10-15 years. The OK Boomer mentality is real.

In what world would people have thought playing video games or streaming all day could earn them more money than being a doctor or lawyer.

If Millennials can make money playing video games and trading doggy coins, then why are they even still complaining about the job market or college costs? Just ride that shitcoin to the moon, son.

• Weenie 1

20+ years ago, I watched people make money off of stupid dot com boom bullshit. Shitty coders fresh from school were being offered Corvettes as a sign-on bonus.

That didn't cause me to want to just sit on my ass and give up, it motivated me to work harder and become like those guys.

I guess that is one of the differences between me and most young people...

Kinda sad that seeing fake shit on social media makes someone give up on working hard. A tiny fraction of people have always made money doing dumb shit that seems worthless.

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

20+ years ago, I watched people make money off of stupid dot com boom bullshit. Shitty coders fresh from school were being offered Corvettes as a sign-on bonus.

That didn't cause me to want to just sit on my ass and give up, it motivated me to work harder and become like those guys.

Kinda sad that seeing fake shit on social media makes someone give up on working hard.

I worked a summer job for a dot-com company in June/July 2000 in Austin, TX....that was really close to peak dot-com absurdity and Austin was probably like a top 5 or 10 city for that crap. I made 15 bucks an hour doing "network monitoring" (basically I was a glorified button pusher every 15 minutes). 15 bucks per hour back then was pretty sweet for a 19 year old. The place was filled with tech bros who were swimming in more cash than to know what to do with and the place was like stocked to the gills with whatever food or drink you wanted on the house. These dudes in their 20s were obsessing over how they wouldn't have to work in like 10 years with how much cash was sloshing around there. It was also in a fancy office park that overlooked the river and the city beyond that. You would've thought you were working for Goldman Sachs if you didn't know any better. The place was busted out by 2003.

I always think of that place when I hear about the dot-com bubble or people talk about a new bubble happening in some other sector. At the time, it looked invincible, but then it all came tumbling down like a house of cards.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

If Millennials can make money playing video games and trading doggy coins, then why are they even still complaining about the job market or college costs? Just ride that shitcoin to the moon, son.

Obviously not everyone will succeed but imo there are a lot more ways to make money nowadays if you just try. 

I agree that there are far too many distractions and everyone wants to make it big without doing the hard work.

I still don't get the emphasis placed on College these days. You could take those few years and costs and put it to much better use.

• Like 1

About 340 Americans under the age of 18 have died "with" COVID so far.

There is a lot of controversy around how many people have died as a direct result of the vaccines, but it seems at least as high as that by all accounts. 

I just don't see any rationale for injecting kids with a vaccine that is under Emergency Use Authorization at this time, given the stats and risk profile.

My kids are not old enough to choose this themselves, but maybe it is different for older kids. Pretty sure I wouldn't allow a 16 year old to make that call either, though.

Vax the adults all day, no issues there. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Obviously not everyone will succeed but imo there are a lot more ways to make money nowadays if you just try. 

I agree that there are far too many distractions and everyone wants to make it big without doing the hard work.

I still don't get the emphasis placed on College these days. You could take those few years and costs and put it to much better use.

There's always been "get rich quick" schemes....we just see every story now with social media. Before, you'd have to wait until some newspaper ran a story about how some college kids played arbitrage in the currency markets in Asia because of computer programs they wrote or some schmuck made a fortune turning POGs into a multi-million dollar industry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

About 340 Americans under the age of 18 have died "with" COVID so far.

There is a lot of controversy around how many people have died as a direct result of the vaccines, but it seems at least as high as that by all accounts. 

I just don't see any rationale for injecting kids with a vaccine that is under Emergency Use Authorization at this time, given the stats and risk profile.

My kids are not old enough to choose this themselves, but maybe it is different for older kids. Pretty sure I wouldn't allow a 16 year old to make that call either, though.

Vax the adults all day, no issues there. 

my daughter had no problem getting her shot, I actually told her she did not need it, but wanted it anyway so she can visit her nana in canada next month.  

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

1.05% for CT last 24-hours and hospitalizations down to 243!!!

Everything re-opens fully a week from today...I give it like first week of June and indoor mask mandate in CT will be bye-bye

agreed.   Our town announced today they will hold the annual Memorial Day Parade which is great. (will probably get rained out now lol)

• Like 1

Just now, Brian5671 said:

agreed.   Our town announced today they will hold the annual Memorial Day Parade which is great. (will probably get rained out now lol)

pretty much as schedule.. I've been telling everyone May-July is all good, probably said it here a few months ago, hopefully we can start shifting the vax resources to countries that need it.  Looks like I might need to go to Taiwan soon and now they are spiking so that won't work.. don't want to spend 14 days in a hotel.

Just now, Brian5671 said:

That's awesome!

I think tomorrow 12-15 year old vaccinations can start? Really curious to see how numbers drop then. 

Number of tests being done in CT has dropped substantially and also the # of positive tests. The number presented today was 187/17,891. I would think probably by the end of the month (probably even sooner) that is below 100 and once we get below 100 I think we quickly start nearing 50 and hopefully even less.

I’m confused: If it’s so easy to get rich off TikTok and crypto why is it more competitive than ever for 22-25 y/o’s to get jobs as software engineers with FAANG, analysts at Bulge Bracket banks, consultants at McKinsey, etc... If all these high IQ individuals are gunning for those spots, are they just rubes for not seeing the money trees elsewhere?

The only place that one can honestly say top talent is going to work for in large numbers that has anything to do with crypto is Coinbase.

The rest of this crowing is just generational insecurity/projection.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, because everyone ran off to college and came out with crap degrees and low GPAs, which cheapened the value of everyone's degree. Now a garbage degree from a low-tier school is barely worth more than a GED in some cases. So businesses found it easier to simply demand you have the degree since there was a glut of grads available still taking those jobs. There are plenty of Starbucks baristas with English lit degrees out there. The same pressures that caused everyone to run out to get a degree also created a stigma around those who don't have a degree, making it harder for them to get jobs they are qualified to do. It's a nasty vicious cycle in society right now.

I don't recommend people stay at the same job forever. In the pizza delivery boy example, he can get some experience under his belt and then apply at a different pizza place to be a shift manager. Or he can keep delivering pizzas while learning another skill and then leave.

The days of dad working as a milkman for your local farm for 40 years are over. People stayed loyal to places because they were treated right.

There isn’t much advancement anymore because one you advance, the employer cuts your ass in favor of a cheaper option.

Job loyalty is the most laughable overrated sentiment in the American job market. The second a place can get rid of you or find a cheaper option, you’re out the door. 

Climbing the ladder at places is all good and well, except now, unlike 50 years ago, when you get to the top, they yank the feet of the ladder out and you come tumbling down on your neck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Have you been to a fast food place or grocery store recently? I'd say the older folks well outnumber the teenagers. Why are people in their 40s/50s/60s working there? I assume for the most part out of necessity and not so much because they enjoy stocking shelves and making  hamburgers. is the answer for them to simply just go get a job as a plumber or web site designer to earn a real livable wage?

i don't know the answer, other than to say that employers shouldn't be forced to increase wages because older people can't find other work that pays more. I agree that it sucks for them, and i also hope to never be one of them, but such is life. 

1 minute ago, bch2014 said:

I’m confused: If it’s so easy to get rich off TikTok and crypto why is it more competitive than ever for 22-25 y/o’s to get jobs as software engineers with FAANG, analysts at Bulge Bracket banks, consultants at McKinsey, etc... If all these high IQ individuals are gunning for those spots, are they just rubes for not seeing the money trees elsewhere?

The only place that one can honestly say top talent is going to work for in large numbers that has anything to do with crypto is Coinbase.

The rest of this crowing is just generational insecurity/projection.

People getting rich on stocks or crypto don’t hang out on weather forums talking about their strategies. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Kinda sad that seeing fake shit on social media makes someone give up on working hard. A tiny fraction of people have always made money doing dumb shit that seems worthless.

edibles, bro.

636.gif