Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Many of the people not returning are older and women.... So it doesn't completely fit your narrative. Let more immigrants in, Republicans whining about job openings will be happy in no time. A lot of people are gig working. Many freelance now. Work has changed. Ya there's some lazy people. But hippies were awfully lazy in the 60s too. There's no magical issue with this generation. The jobs blow. Anyone with a brain will pivot and fill trade roles. Doesn't happen overnight. We'll see a change in workplace in next few years including attitude toward college. Using your logic, boomers are to blame for encouraging their idiot kids to go to school in the first place. I say we blame boomers then? 

Not sure what age group Phineas is talking about but unemployment is actually higher among young men than young women.

https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpseea10.htm

29 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I love the new gop narrative that the Carter years are back because of one single computer hack that crippled a pipeline. Somehow that's bidens fault. Give me a break. 

Was listening to sports radio this morning and a guy calls in that was laid off due to Covid, he was collecting $1,000 per week for over a year and had to go back to work at a hospital for 15 hours a week for minimum wage, he quit and went back on the dole, no way he can make more than $1,000 a week with no skills.

• Weenie 1

45 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Was listening to sports radio this morning and a guy calls in that was laid off due to Covid, he was collecting $1,000 per week for over a year and had to go back to work at a hospital for 15 hours a week for minimum wage, he quit and went back on the dole, no way he can make more than $1,000 a week with no skills.

There's people like that for sure. But good luck to them. The gravy train ends soon. Reality will hit hard. 

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes it is. Very valuable education too. But the trades have been demonized for so long that it’s been tough to shake the stigma. The narrative is definitely starting to turn but it doesn’t flip overnight. There will be more attacks against them because of how much money is at stake. 

I went to college for 2 years 78 79 then got married and had a kid. Needed  to work full so I took a job as a plumbing apprentice. Received my license in 83 and worked until laid off in 89 when the recession began. Went back to college while working full time at various jobs and finished my Environmental Science degree in 93. Pay was low and I floundered at an EPA lab and Pfizer so I looked for a trade job. So happened Foxwoods was starting to boom and needed people with trade school and fire protection experience.  4 years of that led to a facility manager position which I held for 25 years. So basically my story is a combination of both skill sets led me to a good career. I suggest anybody who gets into the trades supplement their education with continuing education courses. The problem with trades are they are cyclical and its best to have a horse to fall back on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

When I took the masters test in January 2000 ...the requirements were either 4 years of night school ( I had 1 ) or 7 years in the field and your employer could sign off which mine did . I studied the 1999 NEC book for 3 months strait and practiced calculations on my own . 1st time I got a 68% on the local county test  . Needed 70% . That only made me hungrier and 2 weeks later I took the Maryland state test after cramming my ass off and got a 86% . I do 90 % residential and light commercial.  Being good at math definitely helped overall. 

I think nowadays the 7 years in the field isn't allowed as a only requirement. I was a bit lucky but very determined. 

Unions were different.  I think at the time it was 5-7 years of schooling but can't remember for sure 

I had to have 10000 hrs on the job with 650 hrs of book work  basically 2 years of trade school 

• Like 1

I also think that what is missing from some of this the recognition that there was always a push for people to provide a "better life" for their children.  The difference now is that what is considered a "better life" has changed.  Gone are the days when it was defined as "My parents worked hard to put 4 kids through college".  Now it's more like "My parents worked hard so that their 4 kids had choices".  As Jay mentioned above, it will take time for society to make adjustments.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I don’t think you can quit a job and go on unemployment. He would need to be let go (and not fired). 

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Has there ever been a generation that refused to go back to work in favor of sitting at home and collecting unemployment? Seems like a rather major defect in work ethic right there.

I am not sure how different it would be if this same thing happened 30 years ago. Maybe on the margins but probably not the larger picture. This is econ 101....when you subsidize something (in this case unemployment), you get more of it. When you tax something, you get less of it. These days, everything gets amplified with millions of opinions on social media too.

Either way, it's going to be winding down this year so we'll see how the employment numbers respond.

I was saying earlier, that this may be a golden opportunity for would-be entrepreneurs over the next year or two....a lot of small businesses folded up so there will be some demand to take advantage of.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I am not sure how different it would be if this same thing happened 30 years ago. Maybe on the margins but probably not the larger picture. This is econ 101....when you subsidize something (in this case unemployment), you get more of it. When you tax something, you get less of it. These days, everything gets amplified with millions of opinions on social media too.

Either way, it's going to be winding down this year so we'll see how the employment numbers respond.

I was saying earlier, that this may be a golden opportunity for would-be entrepreneurs over the next year or two....a lot of small businesses folded up so there will be some demand to take advantage of.

I have thought about getting into the restaurant or hospitality business given the deals to be had there, but it seems risky to me given the social climate and the fact that we have now learned the governor can shut you down with the stroke of a pen at any time. What if there is a resurgent, bad flu next year? More restrictions?

Also, finding help is nearly impossible for businesses like that now, we will see if that changes.

I have noticed a handful of closed restaurants around here have reopened under new management. We will see how they do, but clearly some folks are thinking the way you are.

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One downside to some of the trades is that it can take a heavy physical toll on the body.   Knees, backs etc depending on the type of work. 

I wonder though, as society has become more sedentary, if it ends up being better to stay active in a trade job rather than sitting at a desk gaining weight and snacking all day? The balance on the health aspects between the jobs may have shifted a little.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I wonder though, as society has become more sedentary, if it ends up being better to stay active in a trade job rather than sitting at a desk gaining weight and snacking all day? The balance on the health aspects between the jobs may have shifted a little.

I certainly have a job where I don't move much, so I try to carve out time  to myself for that. Even if only a half hour. People need to do that. To be honest, I almost feel like COVID has caused a bit of a health resurgence. I don't have the data to prove it, but I see lots of people doing outdoor stuff that I never saw before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A lot of office workers make up for it by doing regular gym routines but I would argue it’s not quite the same as constant movement and exercise for six or eight or 10 hours a day.

I know several lifelong farmers with physical strength way beyond most gym rats.  My neighbor Kyle can toss hay bales like they were pillows and he doesn’t even look that big. 

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The obesity trends in the United States certainly support this. Though not all of this is due to lifestyle/employment....we subsidize obesity in the U.S. All you have to do is look which food products are subsidized and which ones aren't to see why. Corn syrup anyone?

One day, we'll eventually start subsidizing produce instead. Who knows when.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I certainly have a job where I don't move much, so I try to carve out time  to myself for that. Even if only a half hour. People need to do that. To be honest, I almost feel like COVID has caused a bit of a health resurgence. I don't have the data to prove it, but I see lots of people doing outdoor stuff that I never saw before. 

I think COVID split society (as usual) on this topic.

Close to 50% of Americans gained weight during the pandemic, and we have also seen the stats about increased alcohol and drug use.

I haven't seen stats in the other direction, but I suspect a certain number of people went the other way and decided COVID and teleworking afforded them the perfect excuse to finally get in shape. Use that hour spent in the car on working out instead.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We shouldn't have needed to face a pandemic to get people off their asses, stop eating crap food and exersising and taking better care of themselves. How many deaths would have been spared?

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

A lot of office workers make up for it by doing regular gym routines but I would argue it’s not quite the same as constant movement and exercise for six or eight or 10 hours a day.

I know several lifelong farmers with physical strength way beyond most gym rats.  My neighbor Kyle can toss hay bales like they were pillows and he doesn’t even look that big. 

The stone mason who works on my house up in NH has a grip like steel and he moves big rocks around like it's nothing. Dude doesn't go to the gym at all but looks like one of the Spartans from the movie 300.

Just now, Lava Rock said:

We shouldn't have needed to face a pandemic to get people off their asses, stop eating crap food and exersising and taking better care of themselves. How many deaths would have been spared?

There has been very, very little talk from the "scientists and experts" out there in the media telling fat people that they are at greater risk and this should be a wake-up call. Instead, we are still in "fat acceptance" mode in the mainstream media, for the most part.

image.thumb.png.7427b7ef5bb07e99d814db3e04992d22.png

• Weenie 2

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The stone mason who works on my house up in NH has a grip like steel and he moves big rocks around like it's nothing. Dude doesn't go to the gym at all but looks like one of the Spartans from the movie 300.

Like the Trail Crew and Snowmaking team at a ski resort.  Go spend a week with them and you can barely walk at the end of it.  Dragging equipment by hand, cutting trees, moving deadfall, rocks... spend a 12 hour shift moving giant heavy hoses around trails all winter.  Those guys have to burn like 2,000 calories a shift :lol:.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Many of the people not returning are older and women.... So it doesn't completely fit your narrative. Let more immigrants in, Republicans whining about job openings will be happy in no time. A lot of people are gig working. Many freelance now. Work has changed. Ya there's some lazy people. But hippies were awfully lazy in the 60s too. There's no magical issue with this generation. The jobs blow. Anyone with a brain will pivot and fill trade roles. Doesn't happen overnight. We'll see a change in workplace in next few years including attitude toward college. Using your logic, boomers are to blame for encouraging their idiot kids to go to school in the first place. I say we blame boomers then? 

I keep hearing this like it's an excuse not to even apply because someone thinks some jobs are beneath them, acting like a spoiled little kid. What's the problem with flipping burgers, working as a cashier, waitress, etc? A job is a job for a lot of people that puts food on the table. If someone is complaining about not being able to get a job, but refuses to apply to said jobs, then they get no sympathy from me. Get off your ass and make an effort.

The latest news up here is federal assistance with high speed internet to those that can't afford it. Supposed to be more federal assistance due to the pandemic that will be given out till the money (tax payers) runs out and/or the pandemic emergency is declared over. wtf! One more reason to just sit at home and get paid. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I keep hearing this like it's an excuse not to even apply because someone thinks some jobs are beneath them, acting like a spoiled little kid. What's the problem with flipping burgers, working as a cashier, waitress, etc? A job is a job for a lot of people that puts food on the table. If someone is complaining about not being able to get a job, but refuses to apply to said jobs, then they get no sympathy from me. Get off your ass and make an effort.

The latest news up here is federal assistance with high speed internet to those that can't afford it. Supposed to be more federal assistance due to the pandemic that will be given out till the money (tax payers) runs out and/or the pandemic emergency is declared over. wtf! One more reason to just sit at home and get paid. 

Haven't you heard? Millennials are very, very special snowflakes and they can be an astronaut, the President of the United States, or even a unicorn if only they follow their dreams!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Also, finding help is nearly impossible for businesses like that now, we will see if that changes.

Just budget your restaurant to pay the dishwasher $23/hr with full benefits and health care, line cooks get 6 weeks PTO... you'll find employees ;).

Ducking and running now...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Like the Trail Crew and Snowmaking team at a ski resort.  Go spend a week with them and you can barely walk at the end of it.  Dragging equipment by hand, cutting trees, moving deadfall, rocks... spend a 12 hour shift moving giant heavy hoses around trails all winter.  Those guys have to burn like 2,000 calories a shift :lol:.

Imagine an army of 40k of these farm dudes dressed in iron armor with sharp swords and spears just going at it in a field somewhere 2,000 years ago. Must have have been brutal. LOL

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

@UMB WX doesn't like the idea of being healthy now?

Dude, read the posts before you hit them with a weenie, at least. 

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just budget your restaurant to pay the dishwasher $23/hr with full benefits and health care, line cooks get 6 weeks PTO... you'll find employees ;).

Ducking and running now...

This is econ 101 too...if you can't find people to fill your crappy job, then give them more incentive (raise wages and/or benefits). We'll see what happens when unemployment winds down more, but it takes 2 to tango. A healthy job market will have plenty of competition. Now, we can go down the rabbit hole on how healthy competition is stifled by things like monopolies (and very generous unemployment benefits), but no need to go down there.

Bottom line (whether it's "fair" or not, all barriers aside), if you want to attract workers, make it worth their while.

• Like 3