Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

13 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Just not seeing cases tanking here despite 44% full vax'd and 57% with one dose. And that's not taking into account those that already have some immunity from infection. Infection rate is actually up to 0.93 from 0.87 last week. ICU hospitalizations up too.image.png.eb58750a12229499f2875247a33ae529.png

image.png.00e8155334666503279e79ffded965cd.png

Yup... this is what is referred to in statistics&analysis as an 'outlier' - an anomaly relative to the mean of a much larger data density.  

- you know that ... just sayn'

I mean obviously, when by virtue of shear size of an 'event arena' in nature, that concomitantly means there are/apt to be differential environments contained within said arean ... any one of which can and will response to event arrival/passage through at different rates based upon blah blah internal favorable vs unfavorable aspects.    Doesn't Maine engage in a lot of those 'keys in the fishbowl' parties ?   ...just kidding

Maine likely isn't the only place that is 'nook' bucking trends - ...  but yeah, doesn't do or say much to help the attitudes of those in/around any lingering festering ulcers on the map of COVID, no

With the relaxing of mandates put on indoor activites such as restaurants, I would assume as long as less than 60-70 percent of the population remains unvaccinated or not protected from infection that the case numbers will continue to remain at higher levels. Covid seems to be very good at finding a host, especially with the increase in mutations being a bit more contagious. There does seem to be a bit of seasonal variation, so the case numbers should start dropping from increased vax and summer weather...Fall and winter should be telling with regards to how well the vaccines are actually working...Without antibody testing (accurately) everyone in the country, we may never really know just how many may have partial or full immunity moving forward.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Just not seeing cases tanking here despite 44% full vax'd and 57% with one dose. And that's not taking into account those that already have some immunity from infection. Infection rate is actually up to 0.93 from 0.87 last week. ICU hospitalizations up too.image.png.eb58750a12229499f2875247a33ae529.png

I’m been following for weeks now, I honestly would have expected better in many areas with vaccine numbers. Just not seeing it. Concerning 

25 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m been following for weeks now, I honestly would have expected better in many areas with vaccine numbers. Just not seeing it. Concerning 

We will definitely see a sharp drop off soon due to the change in seasons.  Big test IMO will be next winter. If there are no boosters, the earliest vaccinated will be approaching a year post vax.  Also, if only <70 percent of Americans get fully vaccinated, there won’t be herd immunity at that time. WW, herd immunity may never be achieved for many years if at all. 

8 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

We will definitely see a sharp drop off soon due to the change in seasons.  Big test IMO will be next winter. If there are no boosters, the earliest vaccinated will be approaching a year post vax.  Also, if only <70 percent of Americans get fully vaccinated, there won’t be herd immunity at that time. WW, herd immunity may never be achieved for many years if at all. 

Trends in MA look great.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maine cases are falling even after relaxing the mandates. Is going from 25 ppl in ICU to 55 ppl in ICU that concerning? Doesn't seem like a statistical significance when considering the entire population. MA is declining nicely. 

It's closing in on last Winter's worst of it. Regardless of stats, I'd say it's a bit concerning.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

I guess we'll see there. Just spitballing

Less natural immunity than other areas. Maine has the 4th least cases and deaths per capita

Vaccine coverage is excellent in the 65+ population (85%) but 43% in the 16 to 49 population. With little natural immunity the disease can still spread in younger people but with an ever decreasing case fatality rate. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I guess we'll see there. Just spitballing

Less natural immunity than other areas. Maine has the 4th least cases and deaths per capita

Vaccine coverage is excellent in the 65+ population (85%) but 43% in the 16 to 49 population. With little natural immunity the disease can still spread in younger people but with an ever decreasing case fatality rate. 

So that should fall soon as more get vaccinated. It's probably the brief spike some states saw before things started to go down. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So that should fall soon as more get vaccinated. It's probably the brief spike some states saw before things started to go down. 

Yeah I think so. The behavior is relaxing at the same time the vaccines are happening and the coverage is lower in the prime spreading population. 

12 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Ha. 
I personally know a guy who’s whole family, including himself, are fully vaccinated. He won’t  let his wife go out shopping, won’t let his kids or grandkids in the house. His wife can’t go anywhere, he wont let her. They haven’t been anywhere in 14 months. The kids bring them groceries, etc and leave it on the porch.
I know another guy, both he and his wife are fully vaccinated. She hasnt left the house in 14 months except to get the vaccine. He only goes ur once every 2 weeks to get necessities that can’t have delivered. 
Yea, more people out there like that then you think. 

it's amazing someone could hang on that long.  I bailed after 6-8 weeks-couldn't take it anymore....

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Are you concerned that the vaccine is less effective than advertised? Or something else?

Other than masks, I don't see why a vaccinated person would need to ever think about COVID, much less be concerned over it.

Just now, PhineasC said:

Are you concerned that the vaccine is less effective than advertised? Or something else?

Other than masks, I don't see why a vaccinated person would need to ever think about COVID, much less be concerned over it.

yeah I'm fully vaccinated-I just go on with life at this point.  Yeah we still have to do the dog and pony show of masks in the grocery store but other than that's it's back to normal for me.

-

sidebar-the local grocery stores took out the one way aisle markers and killed the PA address every 5 minutes about "proper social distancing"  (which no one has done for the better part of 9 months now....)

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maine cases are falling even after relaxing the mandates. Is going from 25 ppl in ICU to 55 ppl in ICU that concerning? Doesn't seem like a statistical significance when considering the entire population. MA is declining nicely. 

Its never going to get to zero, anywhere. If people are waiting for that to 'feel safe", open up 100%, and stop wearing masks indoors and out, they will be waiting the rest of their lives.

Just now, PhineasC said:

I'm not. If at worst I get a mild case down the road, so be it. My only concern is for my kids. I know kids generally react more in a benign way from it, but as a parent...you genuinely care. However......given what I mentioned about kids, me vaccinated, and the low amounts of cases...I'd feel pretty good overall. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I'm not. If at worst I get a mild case down the road, so be it. My only concern is for my kids. I know kids generally react more in a benign way from it, but as a parent...you genuinely care. However......given what I mentioned about kids, me vaccinated, and the low amounts of cases...I'd feel pretty good overall. 

I’m more worried about my kids choking on a nugget from McDonalds or getting severely dehydrated from diarrhea than them getting COVID. The data is super firm that COVID is very low risk for kids. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

I’m more worried about my kids choking on a nugget from McDonalds or getting severely dehydrated from diarrhea than them getting COVID. The data is super firm that COVID is very low risk for kids. 

exactly.   I think that played a big role here in our schools suddenly reopening in early March-cases would never get to zero and this is a non event for 99.9% of children (and vaxx open to teachers at that point)

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Right, I agree. But with this a novel virus...my instinct is naturally there to always keep them safe. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see hospitalizations broken down by vaccinated vs non-vaccinated. My wife knows a nurse that said people who have been vaccinated are coming in "left and right" to the hospital. Not sure what to make of that. Sounds very overstated and obviously not what would be expected. A few breakthrough cases for sure, but not hoards of people.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right, I agree. But with this a novel virus...my instinct is naturally there to always keep them safe. 

I want mine safe too-but mental health plays a role-some schools still remain closed and there's some parents who don't let their kids socialize to this day...just insane IMO

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I'd like to see hospitalizations broken down by vaccinated vs non-vaccinated. My wife knows a nurse that said people who have been vaccinated are coming in "left and right" to the hospital. Not sure what to make of that. Sounds very overstated and obviously not what would be expected. A few breakthrough cases for sure, but not hoards of people.

Our son's gf works in our local hospital..  she says right now there is a decent uptick in the number of Covid patients there.  But zero have been vaccinated people.   Small sample though

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our son's gf works in our local hospital..  she says right now there is a decent uptick in the number of Covid patients there.  But zero have been vaccinated people.   Small sample though

I believe the same is true in CT.  

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yup, a good parent is there to protect their kids. Way too much unknowns with the virus to say they will be fine. I am not locking them up in a bubble, but I am also not sending them off to covid parties either. They wear seatbelts in the car, they wash their hands after going to the bathroom (they will acutally put their mask on without asking more often, I am still fighting them to wash their hands after the bathroom) My wife is pregnant and that is a whole different story. I am in the middle of being vaccinated, when finished I will remain on the safer side of things for the sake of my children and wife. Sometimes it just means doing things that reduce risk, like going to Costco in the evenings instead of Saturday afternoon, a mask when I am indoors. I do not find myself inconvenienced at all, sitting in traffic is more annoying than putting a mask on at a grocery store and definitely worse for my health.  My life is actually better with not eating at restaurants, I have saved a ton of money and definitely healthier. But to each their own I guess.....