Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

Odd folks you keep running into.

Ha. 
I personally know a guy who’s whole family, including himself, are fully vaccinated. He won’t  let his wife go out shopping, won’t let his kids or grandkids in the house. His wife can’t go anywhere, he wont let her. They haven’t been anywhere in 14 months. The kids bring them groceries, etc and leave it on the porch.
I know another guy, both he and his wife are fully vaccinated. She hasnt left the house in 14 months except to get the vaccine. He only goes ur once every 2 weeks to get necessities that can’t have delivered. 
Yea, more people out there like that then you think. 

• Haha 1

The indoor mask stuff I don’t have an issue with. No big deal. You slap it on if you need to. 

The outdoor mandates just lacked and still lack some common sense. You shouldn’t have to throw one on if your hiking up Tuckerman’s ravine in January. Even the CDC more or less acknowledged just in the last few days what we knew. Outdoors is safe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I see that as isolated instances, not the prime minister going on Tv and encouraging it. I think most governments would realize that would result in a sort of increased threat of blow back for those caught "ratting" 

I don't think we are "there" quite yet... but we are not far away. Imagine if a renewed variant appeared that can more readily defeat the vaccines we have today and vaxxed people started dying again. I think the next step for a place like Canada that already has very strict lockdowns is sanctioned nationwide tattling and police action against "rule breakers" to send them to camps. The laws for that are already on the books in Canada, actually. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Ha. 
I personally know a guy who’s whole family, including himself, are fully vaccinated. He won’t  let his wife go out shopping, won’t let his kids or grandkids in the house. His wife can’t go anywhere, he wont let her. They haven’t been anywhere in 14 months. The kids bring them groceries, etc and leave it on the porch.
I know another guy, both he and his wife are fully vaccinated. She hasnt left the house in 14 months except to get the vaccine. He only goes ur once every 2 weeks to get necessities that can’t have delivered. 

You don't run into these people if you are one of these people...

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

Ha. 

Like I said odd folks, I know nobody like that.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 3:02 PM, HimoorWx said:

Anyone seeing any hummingbirds yet in Southern New England?  They usually return in May, and we want to have the feeders ready for them after their long journey.  Amazing birds!

I have friend in old Lyme who saw them over 2 weeks ago, I saw my first this week

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Labeling something as a huge Conspiracy is a bit of a cop out from serious discussion in some cases. I realize people do go over the line with that sort of talk but there is a balance.  Phin isn't living in fear , he's living in annoyance because he believes people are being successfully fear mongered as a means to adjust their behavior and he usually articulates that in a way that pushes people's buttons to put it nicely.

It was a difficult message to deliver to the masses to raise awareness and change behavior but the decision was made to sort of go overboard and some of that imo is because that is what works and effects change and it's also how health experts are  sorta judged, not on people's level of emotional stability or overall health ,  but  b.c they have the most job security going overboard and focusing on reducing covid numbers while having a lot of lee way on economic and emotional health  costs. It's a tuff balance and i don't mean to be overly critical b.c a health experts job is difficult these days but i get the frustration 

No I get it, I only used that phrase because I know he’s called himself a conspiracy theorist that tends to get it right.

It was too far, out of line.  Just reacted to a sad way to live is not caring about wearing a mask.

All good, I appreciate everyone’s opinions and love the dialog.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Sure.. keep making up these stories, they are funny.

Get out more? I travel up and down the East Coast and have been doing so without a break since the start of the pandemic. You won't even eat out yet and brag about it... no one is shocked that you haven't met anyone "like that" yet. We know...

• Weenie 1

Get out more? I travel up and down the East Coast and have been doing so without a break since the start of the pandemic. You won't even eat out yet and brag about it... no one is shocked that you haven't met anyone "like that" yet. We know...

Good for you. Not sure where your heard I dont eat out, you can’t keep up with your made up stories.

• Like 1

The circumstance where I can understand living cautiously after you've gotten the vaccine is if you're compromised/have reason to think the vaccine won't work well inside your body.  I don't know for sure, but it seems like the more severe breakthrough cases/deaths are occurring in people who are older/compromised.  If you're older/severely compromised and concerned, I would think it may not be a bad idea to get an antibody test after being fully vaccinated to get an idea of how well the vaccine took inside your body.

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

This was just a trying period that stress tested so many relationships, so many people's emotional stability for various reasons some related to loved ones passing, some to the stress of being home with kids screaming 24/7 , some from being isolated at nursing homes or college. 

If you wanna go down the rabbit hole and think of scenarios where a variant advances that bypasses vaccinations to some degree and the degree to which it does is not near last winters morbidity levels but is elevated from here...and  if it became the mandate to overreact for our safety to a variant and the news carried out that sort of advice...we could easily go to a far uglier period.  

One of the reasons i am so very interested in the current financial system and the current  monetary experiment going on by central banks (and that's really what it is at this point ) is that this could portend to a period of difficulty economically that we haven't experienced in a few generations thou they certainly have occurred in the late 1800's and 1930's ... a transition to a lower standard of living or a sort of financial period of higher volatility (that we have not personally experienced) but happen throughout thousands of years of the history of monetary systems.  usually affords itself less freedoms thou that word is a cliche. A variant could be good political cover for that transition to go with less resistance but this is not something i stay up thinking about. Not much really bothers me for whatever reason and i'm not just saying that but i think it helps me look at things going forward that may not be that pleasant ( i don't have a wife or kids to worry about , which  would probably make me not want to contemplate it as much , i am also not one of those guys that hates the system and wants it to go down, I would love them to be able to kick the can on this financial system as long as possible but it's in rough shape in it's current form there will likely be a reorganization or a reset that reflects the globalized future economy and the transition will not be enjoyable in my opinion for many not prepared. Covid does sometimes have the feeling of something that will not go away but nobody really knows.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also if I’m vaxxed, I’m living my life. All the older loved ones who are in my circle are already vaxxed too. No way in hell am I hiding in fear.

4 generations today for Mother’s Day. Everyone vaxxed and living. We move on.

Red Sox best record in the MLB.  Good times.

• Like 8

Talked to momma for 1 1/2 hrs on the phone today. Heh ... I figured since she gave me 9 months + 18 years of patience we should be even now.

Fauci... “...time to rethink the indoor mask mandate. “ citing vaccine numbers. As in be more liberal  

I was noticing ... 260 million one dosed. So  what ... 260 m @ 78% protection .. we should already be seeing a taper off of new cases - right?  Logically the ambient risk has to already be substantially reduced - that’s just stat math. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Talked to momma for 1 1/2 hrs on the phone today. Heh ... I figured since the gave me 9 months + 18 years of patience we should be even now.

Fauci... “...time to rethink the indoor mask mandate. “ citing vaccine numbers. As in be more liberal  

I was noticing ... 260 million one dosed. So  what ... 260 m @ 78% protection .. we should already be seeing a taper off of new cases - right?  Logically the ambient risk has to already be substantially reduced - that’s just stat math. 

Just anecdotally, I don't know anyone who has gotten COVID in a quite a while now. There was a period in late winter where it did seem to spike and every day I was hearing of someone we know who tested positive, but once March hit and people really started getting vax appointments it dropped off a cliff. Again, just anecdotal.

Also, no one I know talks about getting tested anymore. So that alone should cause case counts to drop.

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Just anecdotally, I don't know anyone who has gotten COVID in a quite a while now. There was a period in late winter where it did seem to spike and every day I was hearing of someone we know who tested positive, but once March hit and people really started getting vax appointments it dropped off a cliff. Again, just anecdotal.

Also, no one I know talks about getting tested anymore. So that alone should cause case counts to drop.

Me neither. Altho I was never really in or around any kind of hot zone ... still the last diag was early March - nada since. 

Un or sort of related, I’m sensing a growing indifference ...maybe issue exhaustion. But yeah anecdotal ... I suspect the greater accounting of those who got it and resolved over the fewer that rang up 100 grand in med bills might be getting people to mutter to themselves 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I’m getting around one student per week being out for Covid. Either themselves or someone in their household.  

But def way down.   No adult I know in quite a while

8 hours ago, radarman said:

First one showed up today just as the red azalea began to bloom.  Shows up without fail at exactly this time every year.  

Interesting my red azaleas are blooming now as well