Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Their meats are fantastic but trendy store and overpriced because the yuppies pay for status. 

I haven’t been in one in 20 years or so.  They had great salsa I remember.  I do a majority of my grocery shopping at Price Chopper in Gardner.  They added a beer and wine aisle a couple of years ago and their food selection went way down.  There used to be a Stop and Shop nearby that I liked but it closed when they merged with Hannaford.    Lots of people in my town drive out to Athol for Market Basket. Super cheap but very busy and chaotic

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I haven’t been in one in 20 years or so.  They had great salsa I remember.  I do a majority of my grocery shopping at Price Chopper in Gardner.  They added a beer and wine aisle a couple of years ago and their food selection went way down.  There used to be a Stop and Shop nearby that I liked but it closed when they merged with Hannaford.    Lots of people in my town drive out to Athol for Market Basket. Super cheap but very busy and chaotic

Love price chopper in Putnam.  Definitely a bargain place for sales. I try to get their often. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Love price chopper in Putnam.  Definitely a bargain place for sales. I try to get their often. 

The one near me makes decent sushi. I get it for a weekend lunch sometimes if the guy is making it fresh.   Good dragon rolls. 

Had some RI sopressa a couple of weeks ago on a charcuterie board. I forget the name of who made it.  

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They used to sell a blend of wine called Two Buck Chuck for $2.  Not sure about now

It was actually $3 on the East Coast $2 West Coast but the three didn't rhyme.  lol

I don't hit the one in Hadley too often because it is always super busy.   We stick with Big Y and the local Co-op.

• Like 1

I wish we did have a local sort of farm co op place. You can do meat shares, but would be nice to get local meats. However, the opposite is true for seafood. Tons of local places. And in the summer, can easily find one of those little stands to buy veggies and what not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Same here. Felt fine until like 9. Then real achy and went to bed. Got the chills at like 2a. Worst is gone, just feel a little out of it.

Mom has chills , body aches and slight  fever once again as she had with shot 1.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I wish we did have a local sort of farm co op place. You can do meat shares, but would be nice to get local meats. However, the opposite is true for seafood. Tons of local places. And in the summer, can easily find one of those little stands to buy veggies and what not. 

We do a farm share at an organic farm in Easton, right down the road on 138. It’s all certified organic. We do a half share, which is $400 for the year, and runs from May through like early November. It pays for itself like two times over.

• Like 1

AWT

Eric ( Radarman) posted this elsewhere 

Super informative paper... King's College of London lead... Sample size 627,383 vaccinated patients

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00224-3/fulltext

A few highlights:

1) As many have suspected, the reaction to the vaccine is far worse if you've had Covid already.

"Systemic side-effects were more common (1·6 times after the first dose of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (aka Oxford/AstraZeneca) and 2·9 times after the first dose of BNT162b2 (aka Pfizer)) among individuals with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection than among those without known past infection. Local effects were similarly higher in individuals previously infected than in those without known past infection (1·4 times after the first dose of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 and 1·2 times after the first dose of BNT162b2). "

2) There is no difference in side affects if you had covid recently, or quite awhile ago

" No consistent difference in occurrence of systemic or local adverse effects was observed between individuals who reported a positive test result within the past 6 months and those who reported they received a positive test result at least 6 months ago "

3) Infection risk reduction peaked at 60% for AstraZeneca at day 12, 69% Pfizer (shot1) at day 21-44, 72% at day 44-59 (shot 2)

"Significant reductions in infection risk were seen starting at 12 days after the first dose, reaching 60% (95% CI 49–68) for ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 and 69% (66–72) for BNT162b2 at 21–44 days and 72% (63–79) for BNT162b2 after 45–59 days."

4) In a separate sample group over an observation period of 14mos (starting Jan 2020) 10.8% of unvaxxed participants tested positive, and 3% of vaxxed participants tested positive.  (Note- vaccine wasn't ready in Jan 2020, so it's a shorter observation window implying less chance of exposure... but also to note some of those 3% likely contracted it shortly after getting the vaccine, before it takes affect)

"3106 of 103 622 vaccinated individuals and 50 340 of 464 356 unvaccinated controls tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection."

My conclusions... 

a) the vaccines generally work and reduce risk substantially, but perhaps not as well as was reported in phase 3 trials

b) the vaccines are nowhere near as effective as natural immunity

c) if you've previously had covid, you are very likely to have substantial side effects no matter how long it's been since you've had it, with almost nothing to gain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

I would think natural immunity would always win out.

Depends on the vaccine.

For things like mumps, measles, German measles, and polio, the vaccine is probably as good as natural. Those vaccines use the whole virus. You make antibodies and T cells that recognize the entire viral coat, not just the business end. So when you “see” it again, you mount an immune response to the entire viral protein coat. 
For recombinant or mRNA vaccines, your just immune to the business end. If the business end mutates too much, the immunity you have won’t work as well whereas if you have immunity to the entire virus, it can work better since the whole thing won’t mutate at the same rate.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

AWT

Super informative paper... King's College of London lead... Sample size 627,383 vaccinated patients

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00224-3/fulltext

A few highlights:

1) As many have suspected, the reaction to the vaccine is far worse if you've had Covid already.

"Systemic side-effects were more common (1·6 times after the first dose of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (aka Oxford/AstraZeneca) and 2·9 times after the first dose of BNT162b2 (aka Pfizer)) among individuals with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection than among those without known past infection. Local effects were similarly higher in individuals previously infected than in those without known past infection (1·4 times after the first dose of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 and 1·2 times after the first dose of BNT162b2). "

2) There is no difference in side affects if you had covid recently, or quite awhile ago

" No consistent difference in occurrence of systemic or local adverse effects was observed between individuals who reported a positive test result within the past 6 months and those who reported they received a positive test result at least 6 months ago "

3) Infection risk reduction peaked at 60% for AstraZeneca at day 12, 69% Pfizer (shot1) at day 21-44, 72% at day 44-59 (shot 2)

"Significant reductions in infection risk were seen starting at 12 days after the first dose, reaching 60% (95% CI 49–68) for ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 and 69% (66–72) for BNT162b2 at 21–44 days and 72% (63–79) for BNT162b2 after 45–59 days."

4) In a separate sample group over an observation period of 14mos (starting Jan 2020) 10.8% of unvaxxed participants tested positive, and 3% of vaxxed participants tested positive.  (Note- vaccine wasn't ready in Jan 2020, so it's a shorter observation window implying less chance of exposure... but also to note some of those 3% likely contracted it shortly after getting the vaccine, before it takes affect)

"3106 of 103 622 vaccinated individuals and 50 340 of 464 356 unvaccinated controls tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection."

My conclusions... 

a) the vaccines generally work and reduce risk substantially, but perhaps not as well as was reported in phase 3 trials

c) if you've previously had covid, you are very likely to have substantial side effects no matter how long it's been since you've had it, with almost nothing to gain

I knew it was only a matter of time until these studies came out. Everyone was in such a rush. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

AWT

Couldn't open link.  Paywalled?   Maybe I need to turn off my VPN?

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

AWT

A few highlights:

My conclusions... 

My conclusion 

The real key with the vaccine is the percent it reduces severe Covid (hospitalization, organ failure , death ) 

Otherwise  a significant part of  population will never move on and be focused on the fact you can still test positive . 

We are  basically in the biggest extended phase 3 safety trial the world has seen (This is not a critique and not meant to be fearful). Basically a calculated role of the dice that will save lives .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modfan sent me this bad news we lost a forum poster @kbc360 an infrequent poster but a nearby neighbor and a snow plow operator for CT DOT who often posted snow totals as he traveled around ECT.  RIP Keith 

It is with a heavy heart to inform you that we lost my wife's brother, Keith Cooper at 2:45 am this morning at the age of 53, after a brief illness and a broken heart.
 Keith and my wife Lisa lost their dad, role model, hero, mentor, and best friend just a few short months ago and it has been very difficult on both of them.
  Keith loved life, had a very high IQ and drive.
After basic schooling, he excelled in the fire and EMS service, joined the Navy, and was part of the Navy-air department during desert storm, an emergency 911 dispatcher for northeastern CT. For many years, fire chief for Williamsville Fire Engine Company, part of the emergency team for Homeland security's North Eastern CT. area and a good friend to many.
In his spare time, Keith was employed by CT. DOT where he also excelled in the permitting and inspection office at the main office in Norwich.

• Sad 8