Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Aldi’s is an interesting store. Not a lot of variety, but pretty dam cheap. 

They don't have any freezers for inventory in the back. Just put stuff out as it gets delivered. Helps keep costs down. That and focusing on a narrower range of things and buying in ridiculous volume.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What? Lol no. I went to one down in Plymouth. Just an interesting setup. 

There is one in the city in which I work but I haven’t been there.  Some people love it.  
I finally went into a Wegman’s for the first time a few weeks back.  Cheaper than I thought.  Good beer selection too 

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I disagree.  I’m the one who does the food shopping in my house (for 20+ years) and I don’t see the prices up overall that much. Some items yes. Paper good and cleaning supplies have been gouged 

I guess you don’t eat meat, up near 11%

The BLS said food prices climbed by 0.7% in May, following a 1.5% spike in April. “However, unlike the broad increase in April, the May increase was driven mostly by a 3.7% rise in the index for meats, poultry, dairy, and eggs. The beef index increased 10.8% in May, its largest-ever monthly increase,” said the agency’s monthly Consumer Price Index Report.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What’s like an average yearly increase, say over the past decade?  How different is that from a normal YOY increase?

Typically you’ll see visual pricing of 4-5% every two years, and then in the “odd years” companies will take weight out of their packages but maintain visual pricing. 

It truly is dependent on the category though and there are dynamics at play besides just commodity/labor/input costs-For example, I used to work for PepsiCo-we had a lot more pricing power on the Frito-Lay side of the business as we were dominant player in salty snacks vs. on the beverage side, they always let KO take pricing first as they’ve got higher market share in carbonated soft drinks. None of that is proprietary information, they talk about that kind of stuff on the earnings call. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Typically you’ll see visual pricing of 4-5% every two years, and then in the “odd years” companies will take weight out of their packages but maintain visual pricing. 

It truly is dependent on the category though and there are dynamics at play besides just commodity/labor/input costs-For example, I used to work for PepsiCo-we had a lot more pricing power on the Frito-Lay side of the business as we were dominant player in salty snacks vs. on the beverage side, they always let KO take pricing first as they’ve got higher market share in carbonated soft drinks. None of that is proprietary information, they talk about that kind of stuff on the earnings call. 

RC Cola?

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I’m a big dairy fan, haven’t noticed any difference in that realm.  I also shop in Morrisville, VT so mileage may vary compared to more populated areas, ha.

What foods are you guys seeing an uptick in particularly?  Manufactured stuff or like meat/produce?  All of it?  

I drink like 3 gallons of whole milk a week. My only beverage besides coffee. I eat a lot of whole grain cereals. Milk was 1.99 a gallon last Feb now about 2.99. Chicken is cheap, pork somewhat but anything beef is off the hook. Veggies are up but the kicker is paper goods, cleaning supplies. We by in bulk now

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

RC Cola?

RC Cola is actually owned by Keurig Dr. Pepper-I don’t know for sure, but I bet they execute pricing changes on it in line with the rest of their portfolio (Dr. Pepper, 7UP, Snapple, etc). 

If we’re talking niche sodas though-I’d have to go with Cheerwine as my favorite. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I guess you don’t eat meat, up near 11%

The BLS said food prices climbed by 0.7% in May, following a 1.5% spike in April. “However, unlike the broad increase in April, the May increase was driven mostly by a 3.7% rise in the index for meats, poultry, dairy, and eggs. The beef index increased 10.8% in May, its largest-ever monthly increase,” said the agency’s monthly Consumer Price Index Report.

Maybe not as much I guess.  We do eat a bunch of chicken and that has stayed steady for us.  Some ground beef. Just made good burgers from 85% for $4 per lb. maybe I follow sales too much?  
Bacon has def gone up a bunch. 

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I drink like 3 gallons of whole milk a week. My only beverage besides coffee. I eat a lot of whole grain cereals. Milk was 1.99 a gallon last Feb now about 2.99. Chicken is cheap, pork somewhat but anything beef is off the hook. Veggies are up but the kicker is paper goods, cleaning supplies. We by in bulk now

Yeah. I only buy paper goods and cleaning stuff at Walmart now (which I despise). But their bulk stuff is better for us plus it is very close to me and easier than the supermarket 

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yeah beef we only buy on sale and can go a couple weeks without eating it.  Wife isn't huge on red meat.  I'll definitely agree with you on the household products.  That stuff is getting pricey, laundry detergent, the pods for washing machines and dishwashers, etc.  A lot of it seems gimmicky but they are moving towards that stuff.... just give me the basic detergent for either the dishwasher or washing machine, not some pod with 4 different gels that'll clean that plate like never before. And every cleaning product now has some new R&D formula to clean better!!!! and we'll charge you for it.  More bubbles!  Foaming!  A gnome who comes out of the bottle and spit shines everything.

13 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

RC Cola is actually owned by Keurig Dr. Pepper-I don’t know for sure, but I bet they execute pricing changes on it in line with the rest of their portfolio (Dr. Pepper, 7UP, Snapple, etc). 

If we’re talking niche sodas though-I’d have to go with Cheerwine as my favorite. 

Cheerwine is awesome.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That’s strange because 80% ground beef is on sale for $1.99/lb at the Hannaford here. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Steak has been pretty expensive for a while though. I def have noticed that.  Steak tips $9/lb seems typical.  

I tend to buy that type of stuff in bulk at BJ’s. I bought a vacuum sealer and freeze it in meal size packages. Like you, I shop the sales so I’ve noticed some increase but nothing overly big, except maybe bacon  

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Maybe? I just went in and got stuff. They did have some organic that I noticed.

I have not been yet, the closest one is down in Hadley. Somebody told me they are now carrying lots of organic and natural stuff. Maybe different locations have different allocations of that stuff based on demographics?

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I have not been yet, the closest one is down in Hadley. Somebody told me they are now carrying lots of organic and natural stuff. Maybe different locations have different allocations of that stuff based on demographics?

Could be, but I went in there to grab some stuff. I wasn’t spending a lot of time looking. 

I’ll tell you what place is great, Trader Joe’s. 

• Like 1

I remember back in the 80s the penny stocks craze. Some cashed in like Tequila Barry who made 300K but many lost out. This coin stuff is nutz. If you used your $1400 stimulus to buy DOGE at .002 you would have 400+k today. Thats insane. Know when to hold um know when to fold um