Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Anyone travel to Iceland recently (pre pandemic or during).  
Thinking of going this summer

My wife went before all this covid stuff came about, said it was awesome, we plan on going someday. It was also a fairly inexpensive trip for 4 days 3 nights and she saw a lot in that time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Food is technically up about 4% year over year....but that is more than recent years. We've become accustomed to very low food inflation since the recession in 2007-2009. A couple years in there actually had slightly declining food prices (2016 most recently). Global food inflation is a bit higher though...some countries are experiencing double digit food infation because of higher energy costs in addition to the more modest food inflation. The United States is lucky in that it can grow way more food than it needs and doesn't need to import a lot of staples...and the two countries we happen to import the most food from are right next to us (Canada/Mexico) which keeps transports costs down.

Have you been food and paper goods cleaning supplies shopping lately.  No way only 4%,  food alone has to be 10%

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Have you been food and paper goods cleaning supplies shopping lately.  No way only 4%,  food alone has to be 10%

I disagree.  I’m the one who does the food shopping in my house (for 20+ years) and I don’t see the prices up overall that much. Some items yes. Paper good and cleaning supplies have been gouged 

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Certain items are up a lot. Soybeans are up like 80% in the past year. But food as a whole is up about 4%. It’s because some items dropped in price too. Each person shopping might have a different experience depending on their diet. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Ticking up on food? I’d say it’s up like 25-30% in the last 12-14 months. It’s not even subtle

Yeah I’ve noticed some items have shot up. Soda water cans one of them. But meat and other items like that, anecdotally seem ok.  I wonder if some of that is supply chain too. I’m still hearing about issues with shortages on truckers. 

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I’ve noticed some items have shot up. Soda water cans one of them. But meat and other items like that, anecdotally seem ok.  I wonder if some of that is supply chain too. I’m still hearing about issues with shortages on truckers. 

Yup. Lack of truckers especially those with hazmat endorsements.  That could cause gas hikes.  

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Meh. The Dow doesn’t seem to care

The market cheered the awful jobs report and in particularly growth stocks and Nasdaq . It was just what that index needed. The Fed has said they are focused on maximum employment and will Begin to remove emergency monetary accommodation (lol sure ) when employment levels reach their  goal.
Market loves that This report means Easy money policy will be here longer now.  

I don’t Think a sicker system , that needs monthly emergency crack(Cash) from Federal reserve and stimulus could be out there posing as something strong . It’s really quite the feat..until it’s not .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is a great example of the financial shenanigans that are running rampant (Shitcoins , Gme , SPAC pump and dump, etc) with the fertile back drop of record Easy money central bank policy combined with record fiscal stimulus (Throw lack of any real regulation on top as the cherry )

In NJ a high school math and wrestling coach is the CEO/CFO of hometown international (HWIN) . The company is made of one deli with 35K in sales in two years and has a market capitalization of 100 Million . 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/15/hometown-international-nj-deli-owner-worth-millions-in-stock.html

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Undoubtedly.  Food prices have been ticking up over the past year or so. Now things like steel (and lumber obviously) are going to the moon.  

Rough go ahead for many

Meat prices are insane.  Dairy too.  
We eat mostly natural raised or organic so that adds to the cost but that’s our choice.

Either way, price shock at the supermarket these days.

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

This is a great example of the financial shenanigans that are running rampant (Shitcoins , Gme , SPAC pump and dump, etc) with the fertile back drop of record Easy money central bank policy combined with record fiscal stimulus (Throw lack of any real regulation on top as the cherry )

In NJ a high school math and wrestling coach is the CEO/CFO of hometown international (HWIN) . The company is made of one deli with 35K in sales in two years and has a market capitalization of 100 Million . 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/15/hometown-international-nj-deli-owner-worth-millions-in-stock.html

:o :lol:

WTF?  

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Food is technically up about 4% year over year....but that is more than recent years. We've become accustomed to very low food inflation since the recession in 2007-2009. A couple years in there actually had slightly declining food prices (2016 most recently). Global food inflation is a bit higher though...some countries are experiencing double digit food infation because of higher energy costs in addition to the more modest food inflation. The United States is lucky in that it can grow way more food than it needs and doesn't need to import a lot of staples...and the two countries we happen to import the most food from are right next to us (Canada/Mexico) which keeps transports costs down.

Maybe it’s more the items we buy I guess. But I’m not kidding when I say an 80-90 bill for groceries is now  like $120.

50 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Meat prices are insane.  Dairy too.  
We eat mostly natural raised or organic so that adds to the cost but that’s our choice.

Either way, price shock at the supermarket these days.

That’s interesting.  I’m with HubbDave, we haven’t noticed any real big increase that some of you have.  But we mostly go with sale items and tailor the menu to that. Eat a lot of chicken (under $2/pound) and my wife likes pork chops... that always seems to be BOGO, ha.

Veggies seem similar on the whole.  But again we go into Shaws or Hannafords looking for what’s on sale and build menu around that.  Can always find sale items.

I’m sure those of you with kids though are on a much more fixed, less flexible grocery list.  Maybe not though, but kids like consistency.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Milk prices haven’t moved much in over a year.  Yogurt same. Egg prices fluctuate wildly every year. 

Yeah I’m a big dairy fan, haven’t noticed any difference in that realm.  I also shop in Morrisville, VT so mileage may vary compared to more populated areas, ha.

What foods are you guys seeing an uptick in particularly?  Manufactured stuff or like meat/produce?  All of it?  

My (food/confectionary) company just gave a 4.5% net pricing increase to our customers (averaged across the portfolio-some items more, some less). Customers can decide how they want to pass that on to the consumer-They’ll pass along most of it but will take a 20-30bps haircut to their margins.

That’s pretty much standard across CPG right now-definitely not 30-40% increases. Can’t speak to what is happening in meat/dairy/veg. 

• Like 1

Just now, bch2014 said:

My (food/confectionary) company just gave a 4.5% net pricing increase to our customers (averaged across the portfolio-some items more, some less). Customers can decide how they want to pass that on to the consumer-They’ll pass along most of it but will take a 20-30bps haircut to their margins.

That’s pretty much standard across CPG right now-definitely not 30-40% increases. Can’t speak to what is happening in meat/dairy/veg. 

What’s like an average yearly increase, say over the past decade?  How different is that from a normal YOY increase?