Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

“Last dentist for 40 miles “ is posted Heading west on route 2 Westminster 

Well for some reason there's a ton of dentists in FIT.... Kind of weird but good I suppose.  

There's houses popping up all around my house, it's crazy how much they're building out here.  Sucks. Too many suburbanites moving West.  

24 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Lol. At the farm stand with mulch?  I’m about 1.5 miles north of their on a side road.  

Yeah but you guys have that giant egg farm everyone talks about.  Maybe that's why there's chicken stuff everywhere.  FIT Water owns a lot of land in Hubb too, keep dem reservoirs clean. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That approach worked like a charm in Charlestown, MA. A lot of multi-millionaire townies cashing out over there in the last decade.

I see your point but the situation in Baltimore is much, much worse than Boston was at its worst. Boston’s deadliest year (1990) had 143 murders. Baltimore had 330 last year. They are similar size cities (population wise). 

But Baltimore should fear not-St. Louis is still outpacing it (by quite a wide margin in fact). Other contenders are Memphis and New Orleans. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I see your point but the situation in Baltimore is much, much worse than Boston was at its worst. Boston’s deadliest year (1990) had 143 murders. Baltimore had 330 last year. They are similar size cities (population wise). 

But Baltimore should fear not-St. Louis is still outpacing it (by quite a wide margin in fact). Other contenders are Memphis and New Orleans. 

But they have great crab

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

I actually went through hubbardston last weekend. I kept seeing your log on and thought I had never been. Do you live near the guy with the big plastic Chicken in his yard?

I can give you a full tour of Quabbin and Franklin Co hill towns.  Pick Dave up on your way through and we can make a day of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

yeah alot of people saying here on the home inspection-do one, but don't ask for anything to be fixed.....

We bought in August of last year....there were multiple offers on the first day. We were told by our good friend, who was also our realtor to not ask for anything, basically a take it or leave it situation. Just spoke to him recently and he said he would probably list our house for 80 to 100k more than we paid for it, just 9 months ago. It seems like 4 bedroom houses are a hot commodity right now...

The housing market is stupid crazy right now.  I feel bad any buyer that is overpaying now and is going to be forced into selling in 5 years when everyone realizes how much people overpayed.  My in-laws bought a house on the cape in 2014 for around $320K and just sold for $500k cash.  They've done ZERO work to the house and I would argue it's in worse condition now than when they bought it.  They had bought a condo in Florida so they have a place to stay.  The house isn't worth $400k, in my opinion, and I'm guessing the market is going to correct at some point.  I have plenty of friends that bought at the peak before the 2008 market crashed that had to write checks to get out of their houses when they needed to move/upgrade years later.  I have to think this is going to happen again.

13 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some good investment opportunities in cities like that if you know what you are doing...which I don’t. Lol.   I wouldn’t live there just due to the humidity, never mind crime etc. 

Most gaggingly humid place I've ever lived, and Hopkins is at the 2900 block, well north of downtown.  Also saw the biggest rats imaginable down closer to city center - big as a Guinea pig, looked like they would be a match for the average cat.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, QCD17 said:

The housing market is stupid crazy right now.  I feel bad any buyer that is overpaying now and is going to be forced into selling in 5 years when everyone realizes how much people overpayed.  My in-laws bought a house on the cape in 2014 for around $320K and just sold for $500k cash.  They've done ZERO work to the house and I would argue it's in worse condition now than when they bought it.  They had bought a condo in Florida so they have a place to stay.  The house isn't worth $400k, in my opinion, and I'm guessing the market is going to correct at some point.  I have plenty of friends that bought at the peak before the 2008 market crashed that had to write checks to get out of their houses when they needed to move/upgrade years later.  I have to think this is going to happen again.

Many Americans are terrible with money and terrible at judging market forces so I think some of this mad rush to move to a new house is a form of mass hysteria. I am seeing people around here jumping from one suburb to another in basically the same exact style and size of house, but probably paying a premium. They seem to just be caught up in a craze. They are told it's "time to buy" so off they go...

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

I'm currently looking for a 2 family house right now. Everything here in NYC is 700k plus.

Jfc:weep:

Not only this but I'm also planning a wedding at the same time.

LOL

We already gave you the solution, but you want to stay in NYC to be near your family. So you will never own a home.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Most gaggingly humid place I've ever lived, and Hopkins is at the 2900 block, well north of downtown.  Also saw the biggest rats imaginable down closer to city center - big as a Guinea pig, looked like they would be a match for the average cat.

LOL

Tell us how you really feel about Baltimore.

Having grown up with that humidity, I can't help but laugh at the New England crew when they complain about a "day of high dews" with something like 80 degrees and 75% humidity. That's like a beautiful dry summer day in Baltimore.

I also laugh at the crew that begs for "oppressive heat and humidity" in New England. I am pretty sure they have no idea what that really means.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL

We already gave you the solution, but you want to stay in NYC to be near your family. So you will never own a home.

I eventually will in Staten Island but I will be paying about 800k most likely. 

My friend owns a house in Long Island and he pays 21k in property tax.

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I eventually will in Staten Island but I will be paying about 800k most likely. 

My friend owns a house in Long Island and he pays 21k in property tax.

I have no idea how that is worth it in any scenario, but I guess the draw to be near your momma must be very strong.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Lol.  Let’s all buy starter homes in Baltimore together. I’m in so long as you and Jay are next door neighbors. :lol:

Been there, done that. The next generation whining about impossibly-high home prices might want to put their #SJW credentials to the test and buy one of those starter homes in Baltimore, however. :) It could be a life-changing experience for them.

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

"Waah, waah, America is racist and a terrible country, but I want to buy a $175k starter home in an established neighborhood of white upper-middle class professionals with zero crime and good schools. Why won't anyone build me one? Waaahh."

That sounds like something someone whose been around Twitter too long would say. 

Thankfully the real world is less annoying.

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

We bought in August of last year....there were multiple offers on the first day. We were told by our good friend, who was also our realtor to not ask for anything, basically a take it or leave it situation. Just spoke to him recently and he said he would probably list our house for 80 to 100k more than we paid for it, just 9 months ago. It seems like 4 bedroom houses are a hot commodity right now...

We’re thinking about doing a huge reno because of the rates and how much above water we are. Plus my son will be out of daycare come Sept yea buddy. $1200/mo back in the pocket. But, the constuctions costs have skyrocketed so it practically washes out the advantages. Crazy times indeed.

• Like 1

I’m something of a nomad-I can find positives and negatives in any place. I grew up in Massachusetts, went to college in Houston, had my first job out of college in Dallas for 2 years, and have now lived in NYC for 18 months... My company will probably want to move me again mid-2022. Likely candidates are Nashville, San Antonio, or Minneapolis. I can make a compelling argument for why each is/is not a good place to live. Certainly, housing is cheaper in those three markets than the greater NYC area. 

But, while a move would likely signal another promotion and career advancement, I would certainly miss being back within driving distance of much of my family, who largely live in the DC-SNH corridor. To say that @MJO812 is wrong in considering his family in where he wants to live is misguided.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2