Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

59 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I have stayed away from crypto because it seems ripe to suddenly be forced into heavy govt regulation/taxation mode and crash in value since there is literally nothing underpinning it except hopes and dreams.

Actually, with rising interest rates, I am being pushed away from bonds as well. I also don't want to buy any more houses. LOL

Need a different safe bet for investing some excess cash.

It's called a mattress ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I have stayed away from crypto because it seems ripe to suddenly be forced into heavy govt regulation/taxation mode and crash in value since there is literally nothing underpinning it except hopes and dreams.

Actually, with rising interest rates, I am being pushed away from bonds as well. I also don't want to buy any more houses. LOL

Need a different safe bet for investing some excess cash.

Plastics

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s only value right now is that there are people that believe it’s valuable but can’t we say the same thing about fiat currency in general? 

I would agree in a vacuum with that sentence but Not really In reality  . Bc if cryoto ever crashes it won’t be bailed out . The dollar is basically backed by Oil and the Us military for decades and it supported still by the biggest deepest market in finance ..the US  treasury market 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That's what I did last weekend. I'm up a few thousand in a week.

That suggests you were playing with bigger amounts than most people want to risk.

However , it doesn’t matter because even if you only invested a few hundred dollars, a 20 or 30% profit in a week or two is way more than you’re making in almost any other investment. 

very risky but yolo. 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That suggests you were playing with bigger amounts than most people want to risk.

However , it doesn’t matter because even if you only invested a few hundred dollars, a 20 or 30% profit in a week or two is way more than you’re making in almost any other investment. 

very risky but yolo. 

Yeah I put in 7k. My other investments are pretty conservative, so figured to try something different. Better then earning .25 in my online money market. My one friend who works in tech is huge in crypto and recommended XRP. He thinks it's going up to $10+ per in the next few years and believes its going to replace electronic/wire transfers in every bank.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

I’m riding that pony till late next week then out..

As long as it’s short term speculation , I can see the logic.

I just went to a site where people apply for virtual mortgages for a “limited supply”’of  virtual plots in “decentraland”. I went just to experience the oddness that is going on in corners of the market . 

A mortgage company that writes loans for virtual land ....

https://medium.com/rcnblog/rcn-decentraland-introducing-virtual-land-mortgages-9c9268665cdc

As long as it’s short term speculation , I can see the logic.
I just went to a site where people apply for virtual mortgages for a “limited supply”’of  virtual plots in “decentraland”. I went just to experience the oddness that is going on in corners of the market . 

A mortgage company that writes loans for virtual land ....
https://medium.com/rcnblog/rcn-decentraland-introducing-virtual-land-mortgages-9c9268665cdc

Geez, that’s some weird stuff

44 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Team fortress 2 is over 10 years old. There are items still being sold in that game for over $5k. Virtual items exist and go for crazy amounts.

https://mannco.store/item/1761

2 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

Hopefully you drive a Prius

at least when you're driving a car, you're using energy to go from point A to point B.  you're actually using energy to do something.

with crypto, you're burning endless amounts of energy to generate a new hash function in your blockchain?  it's stupid.

hopefully crypto spectacularly collapses and puts an end to the nonsense.

• Weenie 2

I mean pure speculation as long as you know it’s. Kind of a crapshoot.   Does anyone really know how it works and sustainability?  OTOH I came close to buying $2500 worth of bitcoin about 10 years ago.   That is $90M today....lol

Looking for some travel suggestions, I am coming up to visit in Sept with wife and daughter and another couple and their daughter who have never been to New England. We are staying in ORH area and I am looking for a driving route where we can visit S VT, NH, and Maine in a day if possible? We are staying Thursday through Monday so time is limited. Any help is appreciated.