Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

If that is the case, why are they living at home in record numbers and clamoring to have their school debt paid off? That doesn't sound like a generation that made smart choices right out of the gate. I’m blame the Boomers also for failing to impart a strong sense of realistic work ethic on their kids and failing to tell them about the true costs/benefits of something like college. So many young people are completely ignorant of financial matters. I'm sure some are making money on YouTube or whatever but let's be real, that's a tiny percentage.

Opinion.   Now some anecdotal information.   I have 3 kids.  My oldest 2 did not go to college.   But they worked from an early age and are each making more $$ than I ever made-hint-my retirement income is probably higher than most people’s regular on this bb so that’s no small statement.  My youngest worked from hs, opened up a Roth with her part time job in college, started a portfolio on he own.   Boomers and every other generation teach by example.  I worked really hard for 50 years.   But each of my kids was not allowed to sit around and do nothing.  Nor did they want to.    Generational blaming is pointless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here masks outdoors have stopped as I mentioned a few days ago.  I was walking the dog and had a pile of poop in a bag and a rare masked individual wanted to play with the dog-a woman in her 70s.  She was masked because she was working in the building she came out of and was checking something in her car parked on the street.   Out of courtesy I reached for my mask in my pocket but she says-no need to put on your mask-   Wow what a change!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Opinion.   Now some anecdotal information.   I have 3 kids.  My oldest 2 did not go to college.   But they worked from an early age and are each making more $$ than I ever made-hint-my retirement income is probably higher than most people’s regular on this bb so that’s no small statement.  My youngest worked from hs, opened up a Roth with her part time job in college, started a portfolio on he own.   Boomers and every other generation teach by example.  I worked really hard for 50 years.   But each of my kids was not allowed to sit around and do nothing.  Nor did they want to.    Generational blaming is pointless.

It's interesting how he blames boomers above him and millenials below him for all of lives issues

• Haha 1

Last week we had people going to the mat to defend the honor of Big Pharma, this week we have people arguing it's a good thing when Wal-Mart and Texas Roadhouse push out all the small shops and restaurants from a town (more variety and lower prices!).

It's almost as if some people reflexively take the opposite position from what they actually believe just because it's me on the other side of the debate. :) 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

i hear wearing a mask outdoors helps with allergies.  it might trigger some people, though.  

I hear wearing a condom before dates helps prevent pregnancy by reducing your odds of getting laid but as long as it’s optional I don’t care what people do That is their option to act out of a abundance of caution . I honestly don’t judge folks who wear a mask anywhere because I don’t know their health situation. Just don’t demand that everyone operate out of that over abundance of caution mentality at this stage . 

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Last week we had people going to the mat to defend the honor of Big Pharma, this week we have people arguing it's a good thing when Wal-Mart and Texas Roadhouse push out all the small shops and restaurants from a town (more variety and lower prices!).

It's almost as if some people reflexively take the opposite position from what they actually believe just because it's me on the other side of the debate. :) 

It’s almost as if you have a gift lol

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

If Texas Roadhouse caused your restaurant to close, Texas Roadhouse isn't your problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, PhineasC said:

That place is always jam-packed for whatever reason. It's impossible to get in there for dinner or even lunch most days. Definitely has a following. Same gang that hits Cracker Barrel frequently maybe?

I haven't been to one in years but back in the day, it was respectable for a chain. I heard more recent reviews that they burn their food too often nowadays, but back like 15 years ago, I could be generally satisfied going there....and this is coming from a Texas BBQ/steak snob. I do agree there is a bit of cult following to that place though. To me it was just kind of a cheap imitation of an informal Texas steakhouse, but was adequate. I did like that they would cut a steak for you on request if you didn't see one you liked on the menu or display.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

:lol:

I was very much heading in another direction until very recently. Decided to bet on myself, and what I really enjoy. I'll be on the assignment desk and focusing on breaking news. 

Congrats dude....hopefully you enjoy the new career path and find success there.

• Like 2

I haven’t really seen much of an issue with chain restaurants forcing local spots to close. Reality (absent of Covid restrictions) is that Americans eat out more than ever so everyone, both chain and mom & pop, can get a piece of the pie. 

I do agree that Mom and Pop grocery stores and the like are failing...But I think Wal Mart, Target, etc are misplaced villains in that fight. But whatever, I’m just a shill for big retail/CPG. The company to criticize for decimating retail in truly small/economically depressed areas is Dollar General. 

46 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I do that

I blame all generations since I'm in between them all....I think they call us Xennials or Oregon Trail Generation....that 1978-1984 time range or so. We don't quite identify with Millennials since we all grew up still doing book reports on a type writer or by written hand (at least until High school) and most of us didn't have cell phones until we were past college-aged or nearly past it....so we all grew up memorizing phone numbers of friends and family. But our late schooling years were with high speed internet and the age of chat rooms and AIM. We are sort of the linking small generation between analog and digital.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

PDS - PhineasC Derangement Syndrome. A variant of TDS

• Like 1
  • Haha 2