Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, PhineasC said:

Where's the "relevant case law" that provides for vaccinated people remaining under restrictions? Or is that some of the new case law being developed as we speak?

I thought we were talking in general. Idk, I think the suggested guidance on vaccinated people trends too safe. 

The Court held that "in every well ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand" and that "[r]eal liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own [liberty], whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I thought we were talking in general. Idk, I think the suggested guidance on vaccinated people trends too safe. 

The Court held that "in every well ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand" and that "[r]eal liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own [liberty], whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

I agreed with this a lot more a year ago. It doesn't make any sense now. Unfortunately, govt and social inertia is a thing and it slows down course changes.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Just talked to my SIL in Nova Scotia.  She said as of yesterday  the entire province is in a two week lockdown.  Apparently they have about 400 cases province wide.  :blink:

They've been running a mostly zerocovid policy, like here. We've had success due to the travel restrictions in Atlantic Canada.

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

They've been running a mostly zerocovid policy, like here. We've had success due to the travel restrictions in Atlantic Canada.

Well, I guess the Atlantic provinces are isolated enough with low enough populations that that type of policy could work.

You’ll never have it down to zero cases anywhere in the US, that’s for sure.

14 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Brought receipts...nice. Everything being done at this point I see falls well within those bounds.

• Weenie 1

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Well, I guess the Atlantic provinces are isolated enough with low enough populations that that type of policy could work.

You’ll never have it down to zero cases anywhere in the US, that’s for sure.

Yeah I agree. It's worked here. We've only had 6 deaths in NL, for example. Were up to about 30% vaccinated with the first dose, so there's a solid opportunity cost advantage in preventing infections and deaths this spring as we vaccinate. 

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

There would be no tolerance for the way Canada has handled this here.

hasn’t there vaccine rollout been abysmal?

Wasn't their state travel restrictions early on? 

We don't have domestic vaccine manufacturing so we had a slower start, but just over 30% have a first dose now. It's much better than many other countries, but not as good as the US, the UK, or Israel. The daily rates lately are similar to the US. 

I never suggested that what Atlantic Canada did could work there. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Luckily I don't need to hire Amazon delivery boys so I don't need to worry about what they think. :) 

I took that job to get into shape for a few months, because I had another job lined up delayed due to covid. Could have stayed home and collected unemployment and didn't. 

Nice personal insult though man. 

We should have a discussion about this outside the next g2g. You should come

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Wasn't their state travel restrictions early on? 

We don't have domestic vaccine manufacturing so we had a slower start, but just over 30% have a first dose now. It's much better than many other countries, but not as good as the US, the UK, or Israel. The daily rates lately are similar to the US. 

I never suggested that what Atlantic Canada did could work there. 

I just think it’s kind of unfair to compare the two places. There is a ton of people packed into a very small area in mass, especially eastern ma. I’m not defending mass and their approach, just saying it’s difficult to compare to very different places