Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah but your job is more outside and active right?

Sitting in cube a stuffy office all day with a mask on is going to suck a lot more than riding ski lifts and blazing through the glades on your way to check on snowmaking operations. :) 

Lots of indoor time too.  I sell it and you hear about it when I’m giving weather obs but I do spend a lot of time inside, payroll, hiring, etc.  Especially now with the season done it’s a lot of office stuff.  Also if we are solo in an office without anyone around, mask off.  Only a couple others share my space and it’s pretty chill, lots of alone time.

But the mask has never really bothered me at all.  I’m weird like that. The beard helps keep it off my skin and probably renders it useless, but it’s comfy, ha.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

We don’t make folks wear masks in cubes, cubes are big enough at our company. Only when someone comes to your cube or you get up.

We used to be that way until the city of Cambridge decided to change the rules. Now the “cube people” have to wear them. They can take them off to eat lunch at their desk for an hour, but the minute they start typing again, on it goes.

:rolleyes: 
That said, there’s no mask police and most people either take it off or pull it below the chin. Our floor has 40 seats, but we’re at 50% capacity restriction still. Only my department is in which is 10 people on a floor designed for 40

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh yeah, mask indoors.  I never had a problem with that in the least, pretty simple thing to go on with life IMO.  Wear a mask at work but don’t even notice it to be honest.  It’s what got my buddy from the other day so worked up... how it doesn’t piss me off in the least.  I’m not going to wear it if not required but it literally takes up zero of my thoughts during the day.

But I guess that’s the point people make... life is normal now with a mask on, lol. Don’t even notice it inside anymore. But wearing glasses must suck with that thing.

Outside of this thread, this is the only time I’ve even thought of COVID today and it’s the only reminder aside from masks that it’s going on, ha.

Life is not normal with a mask on and never will be unless you are in China . I remember visiting BU which is one of my big accounts pre pandemic. Obviously a huge Asian student population. At least 1/4 to 1/2 if the students wore them. Way before the flu hit 

36 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

And I might get hit by a bus on the mass pike  tomorrow morning and die a horrible fiery death. 
Do you worry about sitting next to someone who might be pre symptomatic for measles, mumps? Mumps vaccine is only 78% effective. At some point you have to rust the vaccine and move on. Otherwise hide under the bed until Christ comes back.

Again, trust the vaccine. If you don’t, what’s the point? 
Yiu can decrease the risk of dying in a car wreck by lowering the speed limit to 30 mph. 
It’s all about risk tolerance. Personally one of the reasons I got vaccinated was to help end this non sense. But I fear this will persist awhile longer.

We don't have measles are mumps running through the population currently at fairly high prevalence. The risk calculation is very different, there. I do trust the vaccine and I hope to vaccinated in about early June or so from the looks of things and get back to normal. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

We used to be that way until the city of Cambridge decided to change the rules. Now the “cube people” have to wear them. They can take them off to eat lunch at their desk for an hour, but the minute they start typing again, on it goes.

:rolleyes:

When Biden came into office, things went a little overboard with the masks in some govt spaces (especially anything related to the Federal govt) because he was kinda obsessed with everyone "masking up" all the time as the answer to the pandemic. It was taken a bit too far, IMO. BTW, the rules on Federal installations have not been eased for vaccinated people either... this is all on Biden at this point.

Once my students are gone and I’m in my classroom I can take off my mask. Pretty much all of my coworkers are fully vaccinated so we meet in small groups maskless.  We do check with everyone to see if they are comfortable with that first. 

Our building was almost full today so that was fun.  We had a bunch of kids who had basically been doing remote since last March come in    They got right back into the old routines laughing with other kids being goofy.   It was good to see.   

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Life is not normal with a mask on and never will be unless you are in China . I remember visiting BU which is one of my big accounts pre pandemic. Obviously a huge Asian student population. At least 1/4 to 1/2 if the students wore them. Way before the flu hit 

Yeah probably wrong phrase... normal.  But maybe not.  It just doesn’t bother me I guess.  Like putting on a seat belt in a car, or wearing a hat and gloves outside... go inside a place and put a mask on.  Walk outside and take it off just like walking inside and taking a hat or gloves off.

One can easily see how it happened in the Asian communities after they went through Swine Flu and others well before COVID hit here, we just hadn’t been exposed to something like this before... the mask just becomes something they don’t notice and is big in those cultures.  It’s not China per se, it’s left over in cultures that had pandemics before.  One can see how masks may linger in the US from this like they did in Asian countries.

5 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

We don't have measles are mumps running through the population currently at fairly high prevalence. The risk calculation is very different, there. I do trust the vaccine and I hope to vaccinated in about early June or so from the looks of things and get back to normal. 

You kinda missed my point, but ok 

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah probably wrong phrase... normal.  But maybe not.  It just doesn’t bother me I guess.  Like putting on a seat belt in a car, or wearing a hat and gloves outside... go inside a place and put a mask on.  Walk outside and take it off just like walking inside and taking a hat or gloves off.

One can easily see how it happened in the Asian communities after they went through Swine Flu and others well before COVID hit here, we just hadn’t been exposed to something like this before... the mask just becomes something they don’t notice and is big in those cultures.

It has been normalized for many people. No one will mind if someone decides to keep masking after mandates are lifted. But it needs to be optional, like wearing a hat and gloves.

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

It has been normalized for many people. No one will mind if someone decides to keep masking after mandates are lifted. But it needs to be optional, like wearing a hat and gloves.

No argument there.  Like I said I’m not going to wear one as soon as I don’t have to, but it’s not an inconvenience either. It’s just something that happens and easy to see how the Asian cultures got to that point after running through a few of these sicknesses/outbreaks in the past few decades.

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

You kinda missed my point, but ok 

I understand your personal risk assessment, I think that's perfectly reasonable. At the same time, I think it would be perfectly reasonable for someone who has been vaccinated and at high risk to be careful until the community prevalence drops to a much lower level. 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No argument there.  Like I said I’m not going to wear one as soon as I don’t have to, but it’s not an inconvenience either. It’s just something that happens and easy to see how the Asian cultures got to that point after running through a few of these sicknesses/outbreaks in the past few decades.

I hate it but it wouldn’t be as bad if I didn’t wear glasses.  When you sitting inside in a stuffy conference room, it’s warm, your face is stuffed in a diaper, glasses fogged up to the point you can’t see, it’s really stifling and claustrophobic when you can’t see or breathe very well. 

10 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I understand your personal risk assessment, I think that's perfectly reasonable. At the same time, I think it would be perfectly reasonable for someone who has been vaccinated and at high risk to be careful until the community prevalence drops to a much lower level. 

People have always been allowed to be extra careful and wear masks. That has always been an option and will continue to be an option forever.

People with compromised immune systems have lived the "COVID life" for a long time now. No Federal mandates needed.

Just now, PhineasC said:

People have always been allowed to be extra careful and wear masks. That has always been an option and will continue to be an option forever.

People with compromised immune systems have lived the "COVID life" for a long time now. No Federal mandates needed.

There's plenty of relevant case law for public health restrictions in pandemics going back over 100 years. I understand it sucks. 

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I hate it but it wouldn’t be as bad if I didn’t wear glasses.  When you sitting inside in a stuffy conference room, it’s warm, your face is stuffed in a diaper, glasses fogged up to the point you can’t see, it’s really stifling and claustrophobic when you can’t see or breathe very well. 

Yeah man I don't have to deal with that but certain empathize with you... I'd hate them with a passion with glasses.  My wife went to contacts almost solely during this because of that.  She prefers glasses but it's easy to see how fast they fog and how much it sucks. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah man I don't have to deal with that but certain empathize with you... I'd hate them with a passion with glasses.  My wife went to contacts almost solely during this because of that.  She prefers glasses but it's easy to see how fast they fog and how much it sucks. 

I have a phobia about putting stuff in my eyes. Just can’t do it. I wore them years ago when I did surgery (which was very little) but I hated putting them in and taking them out. I use progressive lenses now so I’m not sure contacts would work well anyway.

8 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

There's plenty of relevant case law for public health restrictions in pandemics going back over 100 years. I understand it sucks. 

Where's the "relevant case law" that provides for vaccinated people remaining under restrictions? Or is that some of the new case law being developed as we speak?