Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I'm with you 100% on the face mask outdoors.  I'd only do it on a busier trail or something and never out of fear but from trying to be courteous or what my friend calls as "you're being too nice."  As he says, if everyone was just super nice to each other we'd quickly lose all rights to everything.  He thinks we as a society needs to have more of an a$$hole mentality as that's what keeps personal rights around.  Not going along with every little thing out of niceness and caring for your neighbor.

Your buddy sounds pretty well-informed to me. 

I don't get angry over people wearing masks, I just wish it was optional. I really don't like govt overreach "for our safety."

When I see someone with a mask on when it is not required, I feel more pity than scorn. 

I do get a little upset when I see small children with masks. It's really cruel to prevent kids from being able to use the facial cues they need to determine the disposition of another child or an adult. Making everyone stare at each others crazy eyes all day just makes people paranoid. Can't see any smiles or grins. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't get angry over people wearing masks, I just wish it was optional. I really don't like govt overreach "for our safety."

When I see someone with a mask on when it is not required, I feel more pity than scorn. 

I do get a little upset when I see small children with masks. It's really cruel to prevent kids from being able to use the facial cues they need to determine the disposition of another child or an adult. Making everyone stare at each others crazy eyes all day just makes people paranoid. Can't see any smiles or grins. 

Masks are mostly used to prevent the person wearing them from spreading to others. 

"I don't get angry over people not wearing masks", I only post about it every day of the week for hours a day. Nope doesn't bother you at all! 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You know I was at the gym last night... doing my usual.  I go to that gym every day when outdoors doesn't permit - which sort of puts it in my ID that it belongs to me?

Which is BS of course...but I log the most hours there nonetheless.  I wear a mask ...'cept, when doing aerobic...  Treadmill, Elliptical ... Peleton cycling... the mask may slip down unknowing ...'cause when you're on min 45 and the end is in sight you may not even feel it any more. Normal not to...

A couple of times someone, usually a 62 year old ( right ~ in that age group ) gets in your face and 'makes sure' you pull up your mask so it properly this and that... They don't work there. You've never seen that person before.   What is it about that generation -

I just fantasize punching their face and as they are vaguely conscious and bleeding from the nose ...  asking what was more dangerous: was it covid 19, or putting their ****ing self-righteous unsolicited mug in my work out space to enforce a policy that is frankly still in a process of scientific discovery ??

Hmm... 'which one you busted nose superiority complex'

I mean this asshole was particularly egregious ...instead of losing it, I just apologized obsequiously and said that it slipped down, and he made some crinkled brow gesture that I couldn't quite tell the full nature of which because of what you said - he was hiding his face.  But he also gestured with his hand in a jerk movement, which smacked as agitated when I said it - like he's taking a risk... I mean, there are those not like me that will punch his face..  They end up on the evening news of course but...I have seen the mask related Jerry Springer bang outs ...

• Like 2

Just now, DotRat_Wx said:

Masks are mostly used to prevent the person wearing them from spreading to others. 

"I don't get angry over people not wearing masks", I only post about it every day of the week for hours a day. Nope doesn't bother you at all! 

What does this post say about the guy who constantly responds to the guy who posts about masks all day? Where does he fit into the hate hierarchy?

Just now, PhineasC said:

Amazingly, the "science" just suddenly changed again and now vaccinated people can go maskless outdoors.

I anxiously await the next bit of "scientific progress" that removes indoor mask mandates out of the blue. 

I applaud the CDC decision. Not sure what the point is here. I still reccomend people wear masks in close proximity out of respect, if you don't know who is vaccinated. Simple respect. 

• Thanks 1

Just for clarification, because sometimes I am obtuse, do people on here purposely disregard rules posted by owners of businesses regarding masks?  I get wanting to not follow guidance of govt but if a business requires it, do you willfully ignore it?  And I get doing it accidentally etc. And I also understand that I just about every case the owner does not want to post such rules.  

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Pouty faces are hard to discern but with most people, their hidden behind the mask smiles are signaled by their eyes.  Far short of a mask-free smile but still a pleasant sight.

• Like 2

Just now, DotRat_Wx said:

I applaud the CDC decision. Not sure what the point is here. I still reccomend people wear masks in close proximity out of respect, if you don't know who is vaccinated. Simple respect. 

Those of us who have not received the vaccine will respect you more if you just go back to normal...

None of us feel that we need you to keep us safe. You can stop now.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just for clarification, because sometimes I am obtuse, do people on here purposely disregard rules posted by owners of businesses regarding masks?  I get wanting to not follow guidance of govt but if a business requires it, do you willfully ignore it?  And I get doing it accidentally etc. And I also understand that I just about every case the owner does not want to post such rules.  

We follow the rules in any business we enter. It's our choice to enter, and they can set the rules as they see fit. Doesn't bother us if it's an optional thing on both sides.

We have left places before if the rules and hygiene theater silliness seemed over-the-top (a couple places in Maine spring to mind).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

And I also understand that I just about every case the owner does not want to post such rules.  

THIS ^

I do it some because I know the business doesnt enforce it, doesnt want to, its posted because the state says to,  and a lot of people dont want to wear one either. The more people see others not do it, they'll do it too. That's the only way it'll get finished faster. 

I have to say ive never been chastised by a single business. Had one customer hollar at me in home depot. I just walked on by.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

We follow the rules in any business we enter. It's our choice to enter, and they can set the rules as they see fit. Doesn't bother us if it's an optional thing on both sides.

We have left places before if the rules and hygiene theater silliness seemed over-the-top (a couple places in Maine spring to mind).

I appreciate that    Likewise I have avoided doing business with establishments that have flouted public hygiene regulations during a pandemic - a certain hotel in the town next door to mine for example. 

• Like 1

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

THIS ^

I do it some because I know the business doesnt enforce it, doesnt want to, its posted because the state says to,  and a lot of people dont want to wear one either. The more people see others not do it, they'll do it too. That's the only way it'll get finished faster. 

I have to say ive never been chastised by a single business. Had one customer hollar at me in home depot. I just walked on by.

Our son was working minimum wage last summer loading mulch, hay bales etc in the heat wearing a mask due to requirements. An occasional yahoo would give him shit about wearing it.   He never said anything to the “customer”, the customer just wanted to vent at a 19 year old kid

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

I appreciate that    Likewise I have avoided doing business with establishments that have flouted public hygiene regulations during a pandemic - a certain hotel in the town next door to mine for example. 

It's really not a big deal when it's all optional and people can be treated like rational adults and trusted to make the best decisions for themselves and/or their business.

Hopefully that world can return soon.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Your buddy sounds pretty well-informed to me. 

You and him would get along just great.  The stuff he says in mocking people who think differently than him regarding the 'Vid (weak, scared, sheep, Karens, crazy nutjobs, etc) is almost identical to what you write and he's definitely extremely passionate about sharing his opinion on COVID, ha. Definitely don’t get him going on the seatbelt law though, think there may be more passion there than COVID.

I was thinking about sending him a link to this thread though the Mods may not appreciate that :lol:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our son was working minimum wage last summer loading mulch, hay bales etc in the heat wearing a mask due to requirements. An occasional yahoo would give him shit about wearing it.   He never said anything to the “customer”, the customer just wanted to vent at a 19 year old kid

You used to see videos of people on YouTube or social media who are "trying to stick it to the man" and not wear a mask while entering like a Bed Bath and Beyond... brave souls just looking for a confrontation with anyone.  It was always weird to me because you are basically trying to get into an argument with some minimum wage employee who had literally nothing to do with the decision to make you put a mask on.  Like I dare that high schooler working part time after school tell me to put my mask on.  

• Sad 1

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Thats awful. 

It was rare. Maybe happened 3-4 times to him over 4 months or so.  When he worked at the mountain this winter no one gave him grief.  People followed the regs for the most part there, common areas, lift lines.      Anyway, I will be glad when masks are done.