Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

55 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Interestingly Randolph by voting records is pretty blue..67.1-30 Biden-Trump in 2020.    186 to 83.   Kevin wants to move to Jackson NH in the winter..  Better think twice..your neighbors would be pretty liberal...567 Biden to 212 Trump.

Wouldn’t be any different than here 

9 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

Me and my wife enjoy our quiet Saturday nights watching TV, usually after spending all day outdoors. We usually do Grubhub instead.

I usually pick it up from the restaurant-they make very little if any money off GH, doordash or Uber eats

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, any nice East Coast state suburb is going to have a population of hypocritical, virtue-signaling Biden voters living in it who moved there to avoid the kind of things they claim to support. They are harmless, IMO.

Did you not learn that the political garbage has  closed down this thread upteen times . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

What EV AND “Green stocks” do you like 

I’m a newbie but CSIQ and WNDW for green energy. For EV, I like LI. I am not diversified with my ‘play money’ at all...I go with what I know and try keep it simple. I see a future of all ev vehicles on the road, homes and businesses powered by green energy, and weed dispensaries lol.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Certainly seem to be on borrowed time with this thread...

Meh as long as there's no personal attacks, I think it's fine-a variety of topics here over the last week-interesting to read honestly.   Just have to respect other's opinions....

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m a newbie but CSIQ and WNDW for green energy. For EV, I like LI. I am not diversified with my ‘play money’ at all...I go with what I know and try keep it simple. I see a future of all ev vehicles on the road, homes and businesses powered by green energy, and weed dispensaries lol.  

Thanks for sharing . I am not familiar w those green plays and will check em out.

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

WNDW is pretty cool. I like the technology. What I am not good at is opening the hood on books to micro analyze a company’s balance sheet. 

Like many stocks , they got crushed when the mid February valuation bubble popped . Probably a good buying opportunity in some names now . Speculation drove so many “disruptive innovation”  and Green stocks to the moon And just stretched their valuations till the market snapped in those areas .

42 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Not funny

I went to college in central Ark. 68/69. Outside the campus De facto was still in effect. The county was dry but at least, did not have a law against dancing. The citizens in the town/county were the finest folk you could meet. Always courteous and helpful, even to strangers. If you fell on the street a mob would rush to help you. If you had a tragedy in your family the community automatically pulled together for you. The churches, all denominations, were full to overflowing on Sunday and yet and yet ........... As always ....

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Like many stocks , they got crushed when the mid February valuation bubble popped . Probably a good buying opportunity in some names now . 

I’ll research the technology, the company, etc and make my determination then but I have very a limited understanding of wall st or market jargon. I’m never sure when to buy. I was high on PLUG for months, was hoping it would level off, but it kept climbing so I eventually said eff it and bought in...then a few days later the news breaks on the class action lawsuit lol and the stock tanks. Great buy idiot. I still believe in the company long term so I’ve been adding shares to bring my avg cost down but man...the stock game can be agonizing.

So you’re thinking we’re in a good buying opportunity window now?

26 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Meh as long as there's no personal attacks, I think it's fine-a variety of topics here over the last week-interesting to read honestly.   Just have to respect other's opinions....

Overall, the discussion is great, it does seem to veer off at times and get a little personal/political. 

Personally I really appreciated the insight from WhitinsvilleWx on the vaccine stuff, that has been really interesting to me.  Stock stuff too.

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’ll research the technology, the company, etc and make my determination then but I have very a limited understanding of wall st or market jargon. I’m never sure when to buy. I was high on PLUG for months, was hoping it would level off, but it kept climbing so I eventually said eff it and bought in...then a few days later the news breaks on the class action lawsuit lol and the stock tanks. Great buy idiot. I still believe in the company long term so I’ve been adding shares to bring my avg cost down but man...the stock game can be agonizing.

So you’re thinking we’re in a good buying opportunity window now?

So much is about entry price And I would never buy a stock that went from 4$ to 40$ in less than a year. 

I’m certainly not a savant but in addition to your research I would join a group with lots of decent free research available (Seeking Alpha is good) and just look at valuations , often you will find a few articles on whatever company your interested in and there is good discussion in the comment section. 

Many of those EV and Green or future disruptive plays (and SPAC’s) entered such a bubble period that it was just pure speculation driving stocks up and it was a challenge to see if they actually had a viable business .

In that space I like a company called PGTK , it’s speculative in the sense it’s not Google or amzn and it’s future is up in the air like many non behemoth stocks but it could easily 10x from here in 2 years 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

So much is about entry price And I would never buy a stock that went from 4$ to 40$ in less than a year. 

I’m certainly not a savant but in addition to your research I would join a group with lots of decent free research available (Seeking Alpha is good) and just look at valuations , often you will find a few articles on whatever company your interested in and there is good discussion in the comment section. 

Many of those EV and Green or future disruptive plays (and SPAC’s) entered such a bubble period that it was just pure speculation driving stocks up and it was a challenge to see if they actually had a viable business 

Thanks. I’ll check out Seeking Alpha. Yea, even weed stocks too. Policy changes are very slow so it was all speculation that a blue administration would magically turn the weed and green energy industries in cash machines. 

15 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

My uncle farms wheat and raises cattle in Texas west of Fort Worth. Wheat is about $7 a bushel. A bushel of wheat weighs 60 pounds. 60 pounds of wheat makes 42 pounds of flower. That’s about $45 worth of flour at Walmart. 
The cost of diesel to  run the tractor to sow the wheat, plow the ground to get it ready to sow, cost of fertilizer, paying to get it combined, grain storage fees, etc etc. is astronomical. His combine bill last year on 5000 acres was almost 30k. To put it in perspective, wheat was $5 a bushel....during the Nixon administration. Back in the 80’s it was $3. Small farmers can’t make it anymore.

About the same fraction the loggers get here.  However, Wally World is apparently charging more for flour there than Hannaford is here.  we get 5 lb King Arthur unbleached for about $4 and the bigger producers like Pillsbury and Gold Medal are likely 10-20% cheaper.  Of course, even at those retail prices your uncle would be getting less than 25% for his wheat.

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thanks. I’ll check out Seeking Alpha. Yea, even weed stocks too. Policy changes are very slow so it was all speculation that a blue administration would magically turn the weed and green energy industries in cash machines. 

The miners in the green energy space seem a bit safer to me in the sense that those green metals will be in demand , so any Mining company that is  sort of coming out of developmental stage (where lots of funding concerns exist ) and is going into production and may have partnered with a “big boy” EV makers it seems they will have no problem selling those minerals and the demand is forecast to go up 5-10x for minerals like Lithium, Manganese, Nickel, Graphite (Battery grade) 

14 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Correct. I’ve read the same. It’s getting tougher for each generation.

The income difference between the US 1% and the other 99% is obscene, and comparing it to the poorest half is even worse.  However, that last paragraph demonstrates "innumeracy"* - inept and/or deceptive use of numbers.  The poorest half represents 165 million Americans and perhaps 70 million (a guess) or so wage earners.  A Google search shows 614 US billionaires as of last October.  Those fat cats' income has gone up 9 times as fast as incomes for the lower 50% but "90% of the pie" is a ridiculous claim. 

* "Innumeracy" is the name of  book sent to me some years back by my son, who knows I like to fiddle with numbers and would understand how other such fiddlers misuse arithmetic.

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The miners in the green energy space seem a bit safer to me in the sense that those green metals will be in demand , so any Mining company that is  sort of coming out of developmental stage (where lots of funding concerns exist ) and is going into production and may have partnered with a “big boy” EV makers it seems they will have no problem selling those minerals and the demand is forecast to go up 5-10x for minerals like Lithium, Manganese, Nickel, Graphite (Battery grade) 

Yea. It is a safer play then trying to predict which consumer goods stock will succeed. Have any green mining stocks in mind?

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Politics is not a hot topic in NNH from what I have seen. Too distant from all the silliness in DC for them to really care. That's why I enjoy it so much. 

Give it two years and then for months leading up to the primary you won't be able to go out to dinner without meeting a presidential candidate.  I think you didn't buy until after the primary this last go around.  It gets crazy for a while.  A number of the candidates will even have offices in Berlin and Littleton is a frequent stopping off point too ,especially that diner on the main drag, Polly's Pancakes as well.

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. It is a safer play then trying to predict which consumer goods stock will succeed. Have any green mining stocks in mind?

Given current stock prices for all miners I like a few

A speculative developmental lithium miner (Ticker BCLMF ) is siting on the biggest lithium deposit and partnered with a major corporation. This deposit is in Mexico and Covid has slowed down mining progress almost everywhere last year but that has big potential and a big partner to help with any funding issues that can cost many junior miners on their way to taking off .

also STLHF as a lithium play That is more “de-risked”

The big news in that space is extraction techniques that can rapidly speed up lithium production and cause less waste in the environment . Selective Absorption .So much Money is being poured into this process now to be green and to expedite the extraction process . Some of the companies that are small and process  this tech could license it to major miners and also many major miners and EV makers are creating their own divisions to try and  create Selective absorption Methods of their own . RHHNF is a play on the selective absorption tech 

I like CNIKF for A nickel miner.
I like Talga and LGO  in the speciality graphene space and graphene/ vanadium space respectively 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Randolph has a pretty sizable population of "older ladies with long gray hair who wear sandals 24/7 and walk their huskies several times a day all year long no matter the weather."

NNE is chock full of 'em, I've noticed. Definitely not Trump's base...

Politics is not a hot topic in NNH from what I have seen. Too distant from all the silliness in DC for them to really care. That's why I enjoy it so much. 

Last time I looked, New England has exactly one Republican member of Congress and she's often called the most bipartisan member of the Senate.  However, Maine's highly rural 2nd district went for Trump last year (and 2016) while the state as a whole went the other way, and by a greater margin in 2020 than 4 years earlier.   It's a long way from 1936 when only Maine and Vermont voted for Alf Landon.

• Haha 1