• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I wonder if talk about boosters is going to pick up steam going through May. If the vaccine is most effective up to 6-months...those who received the vaccines back in December their 6-months would be June. Hopefully folks will be understanding about the notion of probably needing a 6-month booster for another year b/c it's that which will probably be the icing in the cake and prevent any spikes again. Obviously this is never going to fully go away but the last thing you want is to see local hotspots flare up

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I’d be curious on @WhitinsvilleWX’s takes on how much the second shot does towards immunity or lowering chances of a severe illness.

If you get like say 80% on the first shot and the second shot adds that extra 15% to 95%... the first shot seems like the main goal to get to the population.

Hard to say what the first shot actually gives you. Like I said a day or so ago, not much data was acquired on first vs second dose since multiple dosing regimen, durability and follow up wasn’t done. Just guessing based on other vaccine research, the first  dose is probably pretty effective, at least in the shorter term (think months). The second one is important to cement the memory aspect. But 80% is what Ive seen for the first one. But the durability is probably not as good without the second dose. 
If your going to get the first one, not getting the second one is foolish. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I wonder if talk about boosters is going to pick up steam going through May. If the vaccine is most effective up to 6-months...those who received the vaccines back in December their 6-months would be June. Hopefully folks will be understanding about the notion of probably needing a 6-month booster for another year b/c it's that which will probably be the icing in the cake and prevent any spikes again. Obviously this is never going to fully go away but the last thing you want is to see local hotspots flare up

Well, the shareholders of Moderna and Pfizer will be happy, at least. 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I wonder if talk about boosters is going to pick up steam going through May. If the vaccine is most effective up to 6-months...those who received the vaccines back in December their 6-months would be June. 

I’m not picking on you, but this is straight up mis information. I blame the media and whoever writes these stories and the editors. 
The 6 month number comes from the trials and real world vaccination data. All this means is that of the people who have been followed, immunity lasts at LEAST 6 months. That’s the longest they’ve been able to really follow it so far. Somehow this little snippet got translated by the masses that immunity only just 6 months. 
SMH 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I’m not picking on you, but this is straight up mis information. I blame the media and whoever writes these stories and the editors. 
The 6 month number comes from the trials and real world vaccination data. All this means is that of the people who have been followed, immunity lasts at LEAST 6 months. That’s the longest they’ve been able to really follow it so far. Somehow this little snippet got translated by the masses that immunity only just 6 months. 
SMH 

It’ll last for whatever length of time maximizes profits without turning everyone off to the booster idea entirely. 

• Weenie 3

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Sorry about the weenie tag, but that post deserves it. :P

That’s OK. But I think it’s rather foolish to trust Pfizer on this. They are definitely ready, willing, and able to produce junk studies that serve to increase their own profits. There are already internal groups at Pfizer and Moderna discussing the “most profitable” timeline and public messaging campaign for boosters. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

That’s OK. But I think it’s rather foolish to trust Pfizer on this. They are definitely ready, willing, and able to produce junk studies that serve to increase their own profits. There are already internal groups at Pfizer and Moderna discussing the “most profitable” timeline and public messaging campaign for boosters. 

Nobody is going to produce junk studies. 

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Nobody is going to produce junk studies. 

I'm sure Pfizer would never promote an unsafe/unnecessary use of one of their products to make more money.

Oh wait...

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/pfizer-fined-23-billion-illegal-marketing-off-label/story?id=8477617

I wonder what the "studies" said about these drugs?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I can at least sort of buy the idea that we need to blindly and obediently believe "the scientists" such as Fauci and those at the CDC/NIH. Sure, I get that at some level.

But I'll be damned if I plan to blindly believe the corporate lawyers and accountants at Pfizer and Moderna. No thanks.

I usually agree with you on a lot of stuff, but your one damn cynical know it all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I usually agree with you on a lot of stuff, but your one damn cynical know it all

Do you work for a pharmaceutical company or something? No idea why any American would get so butthurt over someone being suspicious of a global monopolistic company that has literally killed people before and simply paid a fine over it.

I don't trust Pfizer to tell the whole truth if it gets in the way of profits. I am not telling anyone to forgo getting their injection of the precious science juice. Deal with it.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Do you work for a pharmaceutical company or something? No idea why any American would get so butthurt over someone being suspicious of a global monopolistic company that has literally killed people before and simply paid a fine over it.

I don't trust Pfizer to tell the whole truth if it gets in the way of profits. I am not telling anyone to forgo getting their injection of the precious science juice. Deal with it.

20 years in pharma 

Moderna is a relative young company

I don't think any of the rank-and-file scientists and technicians at Pfizer or Moderna are hiding or falsifying anything. Not at all.

But the corporate execs, lawyers, and accountants? Definitely a possibility. 

They are definitely having conversations about the costs and benefits of pushing an "accelerated" booster timeline and the effects that will have on the financials. Of course they are talking about this, they'd not be very good stewards for the shareholders if they weren't.

The fact that they have 100% liability protection and the govt is footing the entire bill is an opportunity almost too hard to comprehend. I can only imagine what a wet dream this must be for the Pfizer leadership. It's like playing a video game in god mode. The govt is even actively torpedoing their competition. Good lord.

The fact that the govt has told the public the vaccine is incredibly safe and has a huge vested interest in keeping that message going makes it very easy for Pfizer to push earlier and more frequent boosters. The vaccine is super safe, what's the harm in more boosters, right?

Sure, I'm cynical about this. 

48 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Second moderna on Thursday... exactly 4 weeks from the first. Penciling myself in for a sick day Friday, regardless of how I feel.

Second Moderna on Tuesday. Penciling myself in for golf on Wednesday regardless...80 degrees .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't think any of the rank-and-file scientists and technicians at Pfizer or Moderna are hiding or falsifying anything. Not at all.

But the corporate execs, lawyers, and accountants? Definitely a possibility. 

They are definitely having conversations about the costs and benefits of pushing an "accelerated" booster timeline and the effects that will have on the financials. Of course they are talking about this, they'd not be very good stewards for the shareholders if they weren't.

The fact that they have 100% liability protection and the govt is footing the entire bill is an opportunity almost too hard to comprehend. I can only imagine what a wet dream this must be for the Pfizer leadership. It's like playing a video game in god mode.

The fact that the govt has told the public the vaccine is incredibly safe and has a huge vested interest in keeping that message going makes it very easy for Pfizer to push earlier and more frequent boosters. The vaccine is super safe, what's the harm in more boosters, right?

Sure, I'm cynical about this. 

Yes, cynical. With an accountant in big Healthcare corporate finance, I see firsthand how independent and honest her work is. Probably not like that everywhere, but... 

1 minute ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Yes, cynical. With an accountant in big Healthcare corporate finance, I see firsthand how independent and honest her work is. Probably not like that everywhere, but... 

If she doesn't work for Pfizer at a senior level I don't see the relevance to this conversation?

It isn't a conspiracy theory that big Pharma companies have been caught lying, cheating, and stealing to the point it killed people.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

It’s new. I knew the first  CSO there really well. And Tal Zaks is a good scientist. I know several people who work there, 2 of them who used to work for me. 

Follow the money...

Betsy Nabel, MD, president of Boston-based Brigham and Women's Hospital, sold millions of dollars in Moderna stock before she resigned from the drugmaker's board and as the hospital was preparing to reduce costs due to the COVID-19 pandemic, reports The Boston Globe.

Dr. Nabel sold 30,000 shares of Moderna stock worth $1.98 million in May and 73,975 Moderna shares worth $6.5 million on July 15, bringing her total earnings this year to about $8.5 million, according to the newspaper, which cites information filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Follow the money...

Betsy Nabel, MD, president of Boston-based Brigham and Women's Hospital, sold millions of dollars in Moderna stock before she resigned from the drugmaker's board and as the hospital was preparing to reduce costs due to the COVID-19 pandemic, reports The Boston Globe.

Dr. Nabel sold 30,000 shares of Moderna stock worth $1.98 million in May and 73,975 Moderna shares worth $6.5 million on July 15, bringing her total earnings this year to about $8.5 million, according to the newspaper, which cites information filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Yea she made money. But those sales for board members are programmed. They sell at intervals already set up months in advance on a schedule prescribed by the company by-laws. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Yea she made money. But those sales for board members are programmed. They sell at intervals already set up months in advance on a schedule prescribed by the company by-laws. 

Folks are just lucky I guess. How would the CEO ever know when they would announce results.

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla sold almost $5.6 million worth of stock on Monday, the same day the drugmaker announced positive early data on its experimental coronavirus vaccine that sent shares soaring.

Shares of Pfizer jumped by almost 15% on Monday after the company and its partner BioNTech said its vaccine was more than 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 among those in the trial without evidence of prior infection.

Bourla sold 132,508 shares at an average price of $41.94 per share, or nearly $5.6 million, according to a securities filing. The sale was part of a pre-scheduled 10b5-1 trading plan, which was adopted on Aug. 19, the filing shows, as the company was enrolling participants in its late-stage trial.

It’s unclear when Bourla found out about the positive vaccine data, though another executive, Dr. Kathrin Jansen, the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, told The New York Times she learned of the results at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

The sale accounted for 61.8% of the shares owned both directly and indirectly by Bourla. H

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's damned hilarious to me that here we are in 2021 and a huge capitalistic pig such as myself who literally makes money designing weapons for the DoD would be on here as the lone person arguing to not trust huge corporations with zero liability.

COVID, it’s a passionate debate topic.  The usual viewpoints don’t align sometimes.