Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

11 hours ago, Supernovice said:

If someone had told me not even 5 months ago, when I decided it’d be fun to mess with the trolls on here (due to quarantine boredom) and already DIT would have threatened to call the cops on me...first I obviously would have pissed myself laughing, then I would have kissed you on the mouth. How very on brand for DIT.

Ok I got my laughs for tonight now I’m done. If anyone really does know about vaccine  IP I’m super curious- paging Whineminster.

Ahhh I don't know anything about vaccines bro. ....only thing I know is that I got one.

Maybe the US gubmint is keeping it close to the chest as it gives us an advantage on the world stage....or maybe they're not happy with the amount of microchips in the Vax. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Whineminster said:

Ahhh I don't know anything about vaccines bro. ....only thing I know is that I got one.

Maybe the US gubmint is keeping it close to the chest as it gives us an advantage on the world stage....or maybe they're not happy with the amount of microchips in the Vax. 

My wifi has been spotty with the Pfizer...

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Do you think they're going to have their open house this year? I forget what time of year they have it? Late summer?

On their website:

Our annual Open House has been postponed from its original date of June 27th. We have not yet decided upon a new date. Please check back for updates.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Supernovice said:

If someone had told me not even 5 months ago, when I decided it’d be fun to mess with the trolls on here (due to quarantine boredom) and already DIT would have threatened to call the cops on me...first I obviously would have pissed myself laughing, then I would have kissed you on the mouth. How very on brand for DIT.

Ok I got my laughs for tonight now I’m done. If anyone really does know about vaccine  IP I’m super curious- paging Whineminster.

if internet trolling was a crime i'd be serving life without parole

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Is someone actually confused as to why a giant pharmaceutical company that is obsessed with profits wants to keep the incredibly lucrative vaccine IP to itself for as long as possible? Really?

The Pfizer CEO indicated he was open to sharing the IP. I have a call with the Moderna CEO in 2 weeks...hopefully this is a non-issue by then. Just like everything else- it’s not a black and white issue which is hard for people to comprehend.

There is something else going on (personally I think it’s language buried in a contract somewhere) and I’ll make some calls tomm am to try and find out. Please don’t hold your breathe in the meantime.

The Pfizer CEO indicated he was open to sharing the IP. I have a call with the Moderna CEO in 2 weeks...hopefully this is a non-issue by then. Just like everything else- it’s not a black and white issue which is hard for people to comprehend.

There is something else going on (personally I think it’s language buried in a contract somewhere) and I’ll make some calls tomm am to try and find out. Please don’t hold your breathe in the meantime.

I guess they could license it, still make money

1 hour ago, Supernovice said:

LOL ok keep us posted, bro. 

• Haha 2

We ate with our cousins (all 4 of us fully vaccinated) at a nice place indoors last night.  Damn I missed this!  Didn’t realize how much.   The place is about 2.5 miles from our house and my wife and I are already planning to walk there and back come summer.   The restaurant was full and tables had a reasonable amount of separation between them.  The last time we were there was pre pandemic and about double the capacity.  Food and drink were great!

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We ate with our cousins (all 4 of us fully vaccinated) at a nice place indoors last night.  Damn I missed this!  Didn’t realize how much.   The place is about 2.5 miles from our house and my wife and I are already planning to walk there and back come summer.   The restaurant was full and tables had a reasonable amount of separation between them.  The last time we were there was pre pandemic and about double the capacity.  Food and drink were great!

Welcome back. It’s nice out here. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

US just announced it is releasing raw covid materials to India 

That’s a good thing.

A little perspective. The current 7 day average daily death rate is around 2700. The 7 day average for positives is around 300,000. 
The US has had similar numbers back in January. The population of India is 1.6 billion. 
Even if the numbers of reported dead and positives are double, the percentages still dwarf what the US had. 
Doesn’t make it any less terrible, but a little perspective. 
Hopefully they’ll be able to use what we send them. 

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That’s a good thing.

A little perspective. The current 7 day average daily death rate is around 2700. The 7 day average for positives is around 300,000. 
The US has had similar numbers back in January. The population of India is 1.6 billion. 
Even if the numbers of reported dead and positives are double, the percentages still dwarf what the US had. 
Doesn’t make it any less terrible, but a little perspective. 
Hopefully they’ll be able to use what we send them. 

The spike is going straight up for them, vaccines are in short supply, and the country is packed with much less adequate resources (oxygen) than we have. 

They might catch up to us very quickly in terms of per capita numbers.

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

The spike is going straight up for them, vaccines are in short supply, and the country is packed with much less adequate resources (oxygen) than we have. 

They might catch up to us very quickly in terms of per capita numbers.

We’ll see where it goes. It won’t go up forever. It’ll peak and drop on its own no matter what any intervention looks like. India is very densely populated where the population is, especially in southern India. Infrastructure is awful, sanitation is non existent, and the hospital system is just as abysmal. 
The other thing that’s not discussed is the caste system. This is only a guess, but I would bet a months pay that a lot of the sick and dead are lower caste Dalits. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The same people that skipped the second dose better not bitch and moan about masks. Boo hoo I may feel like crap for a day.

Wherever Phin is right now, he just felt his head tic or spasm involuntarily and he doesn’t know why yet.  I think many consider the mask mandates and vaxx as two separate things.

At least they got the first one, chances for serious COVID illness seems to plummet with even one poke.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

At least he didn’t get the vaccine. But these people who skip the second dose. :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Some doctors wanted to skip the 2nd dose altogether in the beginning when the vax rollout was slow. 

The UK’s strategy was to get as many people as possible the first shot and delay the second. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/03/19/briefing/atlanta-shootings-ncaa-mens-division-teen-vogue.amp.html

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Some doctors wanted to skip the 2nd dose altogether in the beginning when the vax rollout was slow. 

Yeah I’d be curious on @WhitinsvilleWX’s takes on how much the second shot does towards immunity or lowering chances of a severe illness.

If you get like say 80% on the first shot and the second shot adds that extra 15% to 95%... the first shot seems like the main goal to get to the population.