Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

3 hours ago, klw said:

How do we know that suicides are a lagging indicator?  Is this based on all our prior experiences with pandemic lockdowns?

Because it takes time for people to get to the point where they want to kill themselves. You will see other indicators such as job losses, divorce, alcoholism, and homelessness increase first, which is already happening. And we do have experience with this, for example during the 2008 financial crisis.

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Phineass knows it all. 

I don't see why you would flaunt your ignorance like this, but you do you, I guess.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-04-14/no-rise-in-global-suicide-rate-in-first-months-of-pandemic

A team from the University of Oxford in England wrote a commentary that accompanied the findings.

"Suicide can be a lagging indicator of psychosocial difficulties, influenced by medium-term and longer-term disruptions to civic life and the economy," wrote Seena Fazel, a professor of forensic psychiatry, and researcher Stella Botchway.

Their commentary noted that previous research has shown that suicides can rise after economic downturns and that such increases can persist for several years.

"Without countermeasures, ongoing reductions in economic activity can translate into individual financial and personal problems, such as job losses, reduced social status, housing instability, and relationship breakdowns," Fazel and Botchway wrote.

Along with social isolation and disruption of normal routines, these factors can lead to depression, drug and alcohol abuse and an increased risk of suicide.

• Weenie 1

I think we have to wait another year or two to see how suicides trend. Hopefully it trends down, nobody really knows even some of the know it all folks in here. I think people might have supported each other better during the pandemic, families had no choice but to stay home.. maybe that helped or has helped so far. I think that would be a positive.

Every 1% that unemployment rises there has been a correlation with 40,000 Additional deaths 

There have been how many tens of millions in 3’rd world countries who went into poverty due to Covid who haven’t had the luxury of stimulus checks and unemployment. I could link how poverty and hunger and homelessness effects mortality but I would hope folks can do the math 

This was a lose -lose and in a era of people clamoring for an end to “inequality” it’s sorta interesting how Covid measures effected those of different country’s and income levels much worse but it’s Not brought up or imagined away ? No scrolling death toll there to raise awareness 

I don’t intend to agitate (honestly )but cmon  , sounds like it’s a inconvenient truth that the suffering from Covid lockdowns and closures has really crippled social safety nets in many foreign countries and has actually led to many fatalities  . Like I said it’s a lose lose And it’s not fun to think about .

when Agency’s and governments make decisions they will show you statistics that  support their decisions , especially when lives are the cost by any decision.

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2021/03/18/the-pandemic-stalls-growth-in-the-global-middle-class-pushes-poverty-up-sharply/

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Drinking a 120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head tonight here in DE. I assume you guys don't have those up there?

We've got Dogfish Head up here but don't know about that particular brew.  Never had any of theirs but have seen the brand in most stores.

I know how DIT feels and their time has passed, but Sip o' Sunshine is the choice here tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We've got Dogfish Head up here but don't know about that particular brew.  Never had any of theirs but have seen the brand in most stores.

I know how DIT feels and their time has passed, but Sip o' Sunshine is the choice here tonight.

It's their really strong IPA. Variable ABV, usually 17-19%.

It's amazing, and you can age it for years too and it gets nice and mellow.

I only ever find it down here in DE where the brewery is located.

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Holy crap!  I'm reading up on it now and their naming of the beer based on the schedule of adding hops to these brews.  Cool stuff.  The lower minute brews are widespread but the 120 sounds tougher to find outside their area.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think you can get the 60 min and 90 min dogfish head in a lot of spots in New England, they have it at my local beverage spot in town here, so must be pretty wide spread i would think.

DogFish head 60 and 90 got me into the IPA game about 11-12 years ago when I lived in PA.  Enjoying a Doppelganger from TH tonight.

6 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I think you can get the 60 min and 90 min dogfish head in a lot of spots in New England, they have it at my local beverage spot in town here, so must be pretty wide spread i would think.

DogFish head 60 and 90 got me into the IPA game about 11-12 years ago when I lived in PA.  Enjoying a Doppelganger from TH tonight.

The craft beer shop in Gorham has only local stuff, nothing from outside NNE. The dude in there is awesome though. He never seems to leave the place and is always entertaining. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Hope you feel better dude, what shot was it?

2nd pfizer

6 minutes ago, radarman said:

Doubtful.  But I never got to 101.6.  Of course my 99-101 fever lasted 4+ days.

I get some significant immune responses when I get sick. I’ve had the flu a few times in the last 20 years (including H1N1) and my temp usually peaks between 103-104.5 for a couple days. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Can’t even think about beer. Up to 101.6...wtf. Hope it’s down by morning. 

You can alternate Motrin and Tylenol. Take the Motrin, then 3 hours later do the Tylenol, then 3 hours later Motrin again and stay in that cycle for 12 hours. You can do that because they each have a different moa and excretion mechanism. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

It’s hard to find but I’ve seen it in a few stores here every now and again.

You never see it out at a bar though...only exception I ever came across was sunset grille in Brighton, MA. They had like a million beers there and they actually had 120 min dogfishhead. This was like circa 2007 though and I think they closed down a few years ago. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Can’t even think about beer. Up to 101.6...wtf. Hope it’s down by morning. 

Damn. I am curious as to why some get crushed by the vaccine and others like the experience I had feel fine. My wife got tired but that is all but she also had a long shift that day. Interesting 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s hard to find but I’ve seen it in a few stores here every now and again.

You never see it out at a bar though...only exception I ever came across was sunset grille in Brighton, MA. They had like a million beers there and they actually had 120 min dogfishhead. This was like circa 2007 though and I think they closed down a few years ago. 

Our packy carries it . They also carry Ginx cider lpl

c577d06277be1b5d10dcc1baf173a2f8_640x640.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Damn. I am curious as to why some get crushed by the vaccine and others like the experience I had feel fine. My wife got tired but that is all but she also had a long shift that day. Interesting 

I think the younger people have a stronger immune response. Anyway, I woke up to 99.3 and after letting the birds out I’m 98.1. No more aches either. Just a bit of a headache and sore back, but I barely ate anything yesterday.

• Like 3