Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Everyone I want to talk to agrees with me on masks. I am good with a solid separation. Assume I am infected and could kill your grandma. I am actually excited about it. I enjoy having my personal space. 

I think more people than you think agree with you... but not everyone is as fired up about it. It’s the end, masks will start being phased out. They already are.

• Like 1

The outdoor mask thing is dumb. No question. Hell even jogging next to, and sucking on someone’s direct breathe would need 10-15 minutes to increase a risk. But I don’t have a problem if indoor stuff remains on an individual basis. That’s up to those businesses. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, radarman said:

For what it's worth I've been in the DFW area all week and even without mask requirements for quite a while now, the vast majority of folks are wearing them inside retail stores, entering/exiting restaurants and coffee shops, inside hotel lobbies and businesses, universities, etc.  Only when you get far afield of the populated areas do you see masks disappearing.  So even if the requirement goes away the masks will probably remain.

you do realize that virtually all the big box retailers, restaurant chains, airlines, etc. have their own mask policy that has nothing to do with state mandates?  wal-mart and costco required masks for shoppers way before most states mandated it.  even as states remove those mandates, most large businesses will continue requiring them for the remainder of 2021 and perhaps well into 2022.

6 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

you do realize that virtually all the big box retailers, restaurant chains, airlines, etc. have their own mask policy that has nothing to do with state mandates?  wal-mart and costco required masks for shoppers way before most states mandated it.  even as states remove those mandates, most large businesses will continue requiring them for the remainder of 2021 and perhaps well into 2022.

that will end real quick when business starts going down. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

I’ve been in Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Market 32, Wegmans, Cumberland Farms, local hardware stores, etc. Never had one word said to me by store personnel. Not once. We went to a local independently owned restaurant with another couple last weekend. Walked in without one, stayed 2 hours, and walked out without one. Once the state lifts the mandates it’s over. Except for federal property and airlines of course. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

Big box stores, chain restaurants, and walmarts aren't on my travel itinerary so I'll have to take your word for it.  But in those places that are, many without requirements, folks are still very often wearing them.  Be it courtesy, fear, conditioning, or uncertainty about the policy... Likely all factor into individual decisions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Damn right. Places like Home Depot and even Wegmans have said they don’t enforce it. My mom lives in a no mask mandate state. Big box stores and national chains there don’t enforce squat.  

Once the mask mandate is ended in the states that have it, businesses would be foolish to enforce it. People who don't want to wear a mask will just go elsewhere. Once the mandates are lifted if people still want to wear them...awesome and if people don't want too...equally as awesome. 

• Like 3

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

If it is a business’s requirement I will wear one.  I’ve never said anything to someone not wearing one.  I really wish people would follow the rules set out by the business (and the state in this case) to make it less stressful for the employees.  

That’s really it. It’s pretty damn simple and straight forward.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

Who shops or eats there?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 2

14 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Damn right. Places like Home Depot and even Wegmans have said they don’t enforce it. My mom lives in a no mask mandate state. Big box stores and national chains there don’t enforce squat.  

Yeah there's definitely a trend from widespread corporate regulations that were issued at the start of this, to dealing with it on a local level now depending on local or state guidance.

Big companies made sweeping policies to be followed by all of their establishments regardless of state or location at the start of this.  And now most of them are changing from that one-size-fits-all policy to following state/local guidance.  We've done it at Vail Resorts too, with ski resorts across the U.S. and internationally in Canada/Australia... the original company stance was to be initiated at all properties last summer (masks, distancing, etc).  This spring it's switched to "follow your local state guidelines"... which makes more sense.  Companies know that if they mandate this stuff in places who do not require it, business will take a hit.

People vote with their wallets.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah there's definitely a trend from widespread corporate regulations that were issued at the start of this, to dealing with it on a local level now depending on local or state guidance.

Big companies made sweeping policies to be followed by all of their establishments regardless of state or location at the start of this.  And now most of them are changing from that one-size-fits-all policy to following state/local guidance.  We've done it at Vail Resorts too, with ski resorts across the U.S. and internationally in Canada/Australia... the original company stance was to be initiated at all properties last summer (masks, distancing, etc).  This spring it's switched to "follow your local state guidelines"... which makes more sense.  Companies know that if they mandate this stuff in places who do not require it, business will take a hit.

People vote with their wallets.

To be honest, the most Covid cautious ski area I skied at this season was Magic... Which I wouldn’t expect given their “old school vibe.” They had people shouting at folks getting OFF the lift about pulling your mask up. Really annoying honestly, but the snow was good that day so I dealt with it.

The most Covid “cavalier” was Snowbasin.. Which of course is a Vail/Epic partner. They were loading up full gondolas in January. 

All the Vail resorts were somewhere in the middle in terms of rules/enforcement.