Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

31 minutes ago, radarman said:

My personal dietary habits that you have no clue about aside, should one not also be worried about these things in food?   

yes, i think you should be.  and if you are, then you are logically consistent and i have no qualms.  

• Like 1

Daughter just got an email from UMass Amherst that all students will be required to be vaccinated for the Fall semester.  Not sure about other campuses, but I'd assume it's a system-wide policy.   Email also confirmed full, in person classes and residence halls.  Didn't say anything about testing or masks, but that will likely be ironed out this summer.  Very happy for her...she spent her entire sophomore year home taking all classes remotely.  That sucks 

Have to think most colleges (in the northeast anyway) will require vaccinations for the Fall 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, White Rain said:

I was reading they think the India numbers may be under reported, so maybe even higher in reality. Interesting their peak is coming so much later than the US given the population density.

probably due to variants that are easier to spread.  Brazil is bad too, lots of poor slums there too so I'm sure that drives the spread too....

Got Moderna #2 yesterday am.  Wasn't too bad when I went to bed - actually felt like the side effects may have peaked and were decreasing and I was cautiously optimistic....  

I was sadly disappointed at 1:30 this morning - ugly couple of hours and have been slowly improving since. Wasn't really able to function when I got out of bed.  I'm still a little foggy and sore from the aches and chills from last night.

I'm guessing it will be a another day or two until I'm back to 100%, but I'm excited to have it over with!  

My wife got both shots and not a single side effect.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, White Rain said:

I was reading they think the India numbers may be under reported, so maybe even higher in reality. Interesting their peak is coming so much later than the US given the population density.

Viruses mutate rapidly so lots of variants coming, let’s hope they are all manageable. 

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Viruses mutate rapidly so lots of variants coming, let’s hope they are all manageable. 

That's one of the issues if we don't start helping other countries get their vaccination programs going, a much bigger playing field for the virus to mutate in.

• Like 1

60% of CT residents 16+ have received first dose and just over 1,175 million are fully vaccinated. Positivity rate in the last 24-hours was 1.78%...lowest daily number I can remember in a while. Really expecting numbers to drop significantly as we close out April. Just wish hospitalizations would start going down. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

60% of CT residents 16+ have received first dose and just over 1,175 million are fully vaccinated. Positivity rate in the last 24-hours was 1.78%...lowest daily number I can remember in a while. Really expecting numbers to drop significantly as we close out April. Just wish hospitalizations would start going down

those are from cases 2-3 weeks ago, so would think as gross #'s start dropping they will.   Just 10 days ago we were at a solid 1500 cases a day, this week has been half that....

Just now, Brian5671 said:

those are from cases 2-3 weeks ago, so would think as gross #'s start dropping they will.   Just 10 days ago we were at a solid 1500 cases a day, this week has been half that....

that's what I'm figuring but really for the past month (maybe even 6 weeks) hospitalizations have increased more than decreased...I mean the numbers aren't crazy but just would be nice to see. IIRC though I think the majority of those are related to the New York variant and I think some with the UK. I'm really hoping as we get into early May new cases numbers are only in the couple hundreds with positivity rate below 1% given vaccination rates. 

3 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

It'll take awhile for the PTSD and conditioning to subside. :)

When I have to start getting back on the computer rail, I'll be wearing a mask.  I'll probably also continue wearing one when grocery shopping and in other big crowded stores.  I haven't even had a hint of a cold since all of this started, so why not keep wearing the mask.  No big deal to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HimoorWx said:

When I have to start getting back on the computer rail, I'll be wearing a mask.  I'll probably also continue wearing one when grocery shopping and in other big crowded stores.  I haven't even had a hint of a cold since all of this started, so why not keep wearing the mask.  No big deal to me.

I haven’t come down with any type of cold since Spring 2019. I usually get one bad one a year that knocks me out for at least a few days. 

• Like 1

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

I haven’t come down with any type of cold since Spring 2019. I usually get one bad one a year that knocks me out for at least a few days. 

I had a cold in Nov 2020 but that was it.     Our immune systems have not had much practice with all this masking and sanitizing...

I can't even remember the last time I was sick. I want to say it was 2017. It was a Sunday and I was helping a friend with some work and it was like 3-4 PM and all of a sudden I couldn't stay awake and I got horrific chills. I had to drive back to Danbury too that night b/c I had a final the next day. Thankfully when I woke up Monday morning I was better and was able to get back. 

1 hour ago, butterfish55 said:

Daughter just got an email from UMass Amherst that all students will be required to be vaccinated for the Fall semester.  Not sure about other campuses, but I'd assume it's a system-wide policy.   Email also confirmed full, in person classes and residence halls.  Didn't say anything about testing or masks, but that will likely be ironed out this summer.  Very happy for her...she spent her entire sophomore year home taking all classes remotely.  That sucks 

Have to think most colleges (in the northeast anyway) will require vaccinations for the Fall 

Yale doing the same for students. Waiting on a decision for faculty, staff and outside contractors. 

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I can't even remember the last time I was sick. I want to say it was 2017. It was a Sunday and I was helping a friend with some work and it was like 3-4 PM and all of a sudden I couldn't stay awake and I got horrific chills. I had to drive back to Danbury too that night b/c I had a final the next day. Thankfully when I woke up Monday morning I was better and was able to get back. 

Jan '04 for me. Curious to find out whether that means a nasty reaction to Moderna round 2 in a few weeks. We'll see. 

18 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I had a cold in Nov 2020 but that was it.     Our immune systems have not had much practice with all this masking and sanitizing...

Yeah I normally get one or two bad colds but have had nothing since the pandemic started. I actually had the flu in early March 2020 (tested + for influenza b and subsequently - for antibodies). 

Sort of like not getting sick lol

33 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Yea. I also would like people to stay socially distant moving forward too. Unless you want to give me a handy or pay for my groceries, back off. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

UMass said they are "encouraging" faculty and staff to get it, but not requiring it

I’m sorta surprised they are requiring it for students since it is a state university and the vaccine has not been fully FDA approved.  I personally think it is a good idea but not sure if it would pass legal muster.  My sons private university is requiring it for the fall. He will have his second dose Wednesday 

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m sorta surprised they are requiring it for students since it is a state university and the vaccine has not been fully FDA approved.  I personally think it is a good idea but not sure if it would pass legal muster.  My sons private university is requiring it for the fall. He will have his second dose Wednesday 

The email said "on the basis of expected additional state, federal and legal guidance "

I think that means current legal precedent wouldn't allow for it, as you mention.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fujiwara79 said:

go read the ingredients for most of the preservative-laden or chemical-laden food items in the grocery store.  or any type of fast food.  you're ingesting "unknown substances" every day.  lots of cognitive dissonance with this particular argument.

Boy you picked the wrong person to post that to. Lol 

1 hour ago, HimoorWx said:

As soon as the mandate goes for stores I’m burning every mask I have. I didn’t go through what went through the last couple of days to keep wearing a face diaper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1