Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

If you already had COVID......why bother getting the shot? That's like saying..."i had the flu".....then you go get the flu shot....doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  At least wait half a year or so. 

because no one knows how long post-COVID immunity lasts. is it 1 month? 3 months? 6 months? forever? seriously, why take the chance. Yes, I agree that the level of risk is low. but, do you want to take the chance? I know I don't. I know several people who have been really sick with COVID. all I can say is that I definitely don't want to get it.

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

because no one knows how long post-COVID immunity lasts. is it 1 month? 3 months? 6 months? forever? seriously, why take the chance. Yes, I agree that the level of risk is low. but, do you want to take the chance? I know I don't. I know several people who have been really sick with COVID. all I can say is that I definitely don't want to get it.

We have a general timeline. Tom Hanks and his wife were involved in a study where they got tested every month to see if they still had antibodies. They lasted 11 months. I expect a similar timeline with the vaccine.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a34864421/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-covid-19-antibodies/

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We have a general timeline. Tom Hanks and his wife were involved in a study where they got tested every month to see if they still had antibodies. They lasted 11 months. I expect a similar timeline with the vaccine.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a34864421/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-covid-19-antibodies/

lol ok.

Since the initial outbreak, multiple studies and doctors have explored the concept of COVID-19 immunity—the idea that the antibodies protect a once-infected person from getting sick again. And while the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says it’s “unclear” how long the immunity lasts, a study published in November—which has not yet been peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal—uncovered more specific findings in their sample group of 185 COVID-19 cases.

It makes very little sense that folks would have an idea how long immunity lasts after the jab vs natural immunity.    I had covid pretty bad and don't want to get it again but until science wants to show me that the vaccine is better than natural immunity I have zero interest in feeling lousy for even a half hour by my own doing.  I'm perfectly willing to read the studies once they come out but the "why not?" reason holds no water.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Amazing how different the reactions are, wife who just had covid had little reaction, sore arm and tired but better today. That was 1st pfizer

I had a sore arm and was super tired yesterday, I feel 100% better today so one day isn't bad, we'll see what shot number 2 brings in a month.

27 minutes ago, radarman said:

It makes very little sense that folks would have an idea how long immunity lasts after the jab vs natural immunity.    I had covid pretty bad and don't want to get it again but until science wants to show me that the vaccine is better than natural immunity I have zero interest in feeling lousy for even a half hour by my own doing.  I'm perfectly willing to read the studies once they come out but the "why not?" reason holds no water.

The only thing that would tempt me was if I was a long hauler since the vax is improving symptoms in some of those people.

46 minutes ago, radarman said:

Violently pounding the like button.

Additionally, what long term side effects will there be ? They jammed this out in a couple months. Alzheimer’s, blood clots, dimentia etc. I’ll take chances getting the Covid flu over any other inherent vaccine risks 

Obviously none ( or very few..) of us are actual immunologists.  I fit squarely into that distinction.   But I thought that although anti-body populations decline given time, the immune system has a memory - "immunological memory" .  I thought the body could produce anitbodies when needed that way.  B/plasmamemory and T memory cells end up with  'genomic data banks' from having already differentiated for whatever invading antigen they succeeded over in the past.   An antigen gets recognized by these B cells and T-cell response ..which in turn trigger antibody production.  

I may not have that exact but I'm at work and shouldn't be doing this - lol   ... I guess even if that is true, an antigen mutation and re-introduction to the body, probably has to be treated by the immune system uniquely - which is what and why a vax may be 'necessary' or useful after having had the earlier version of C-19... At some point, C-19 may become C-19' ( OR d(C-19) ) enough that it doesn't matter if you've had it before, you could get wiped out by a variant that is almost indestinguishable

58 minutes ago, radarman said:

The "why not" argument is especially gross when applied to young kids. 

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Additionally, what long term side effects will there be ? They jammed this out in a couple months. Alzheimer’s, blood clots, dimentia etc. I’ll take chances getting the Covid flu over any other inherent vaccine risks 

Well they just had a news report today that claims people in their 50s and 60s are at greater risk of dementia if they don't get enough sleep, so we can add that to the list of things that might kill us or would suck to get

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Obviously none ( or very few..) of us are actual immunologists.  I fit squarely into that distinction.   But I thought that although anti-body populations decline given time, the immune system has a memory - "immunological memory" .  I thought the body could produce anitbodies when needed that way.  B/plasmamemory and T memory cells end up with  'genomic data banks' from having already differentiated for whatever invading antigen they succeeded over in the past.   An antigen gets recognized by these B cells and T-cell response ..which in turn trigger antibody production.  

I may not have that exact but I'm at work and shouldn't be doing this - lol   ... I guess even if that is true, an antigen mutation and re-introduction to the body, probably has to be treated by the immune system uniquely - which is what and why a vax may be 'necessary' or useful after having had the earlier version of C-19... At some point, C-19 may become C-19' ( OR d(C-19) ) enough that it doesn't matter if you've had it before, you could get wiped out by a variant that is almost indestinguishable

People forget about memory. Circulating antibodies can decrease over time but when you see it again they can ramp back up. Same with memory T cells. There's a theory that measles, mumps, and chicken pox antibodies are so long lived because a person does keep getting exposed to those over the course of their life. Those virus' aren't eradicated. So you don't need a booster. Tetanus on the other hand is caused by a toxin from a bacteria. You don't "see" that very often, so you need a booster very 10 years or so.

So why do we keep getting colds. Well, there's a good 200 plus virus' that cause a common cold. Also, the humoral and cellular immune memory system doesn't care too much about virus' that infect the upper airway, which is mainly where head cold virus' go. The innate immune system generally takes care of it along with an antibody response. The antibodies produced aren't long lived because the memory system doesn't have a lot of surveillance in the upper airway like it does in the deep lung. This is one reason I think people with mild Covid don't have long lasting antibodies. The virus only infects the nose and throat and never gets in the deep lung. Just a postulate on my part. Nothing to back it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The only thing that would tempt me was if I was a long hauler since the vax is improving symptoms in some of those people.

I've seen the same though I think most analysis has been informal surveys and anecdotal stories with no causal links identified.  Chance some of it could be placebo effect too, but if it makes you feel better it makes you feel better.

10 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

People forget about memory. Circulating antibodies can decrease over time but when you see it again they can ramp back up. Same with memory T cells. There's a theory that measles, mumps, and chicken pox antibodies are so long lived because a person does keep getting exposed to those over the course of their life. Those virus' aren't eradicated. So you don't need a booster. Tetanus on the other hand is caused by a toxin from a bacteria. You don't "see" that very often, so you need a booster very 10 years or so.

So why do we keep getting colds. Well, there's a good 200 plus virus' that cause a common cold. Also, the humoral and cellular immune memory system doesn't care too much about virus' that infect the upper airway, which is mainly where head cold virus' go. The innate immune system generally takes care of it along with an antibody response. The antibodies produced aren't long lived because the memory system doesn't have a lot of surveillance in the upper airway like it does in the deep lung. This is one reason I think people with mild Covid don't have long lasting antibodies. The virus only infects the nose and throat and never gets in the deep lung. Just a postulate on my part. Nothing to back it up.

Lol at that pun ...

But yeah to the other - matches what I've bothered to research and read.  I'm the kind of dork that will geek out over at NCBI medical library -

Anyway, I also recall reading a ( I think it was cited .. ) Johns' Hopkins study that focused on mass-dosing with C-19.  I'm wondering if some of these "mild" run in and/or self resolved cases may have been below the "lung requirement" if you will - as though you needed a bigger whack in take to get it to ache one's bones and send them to the ER and shit.  

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You are scared of everything without evidence

Had my second Phizer shot yesterday afternoon. The first one was just a sore arm. With yesterdays shot I felt fine earlier this morning...now I'm falling asleep at my desk with that out of body lightheaded starting to get a cold feeling and the arm is sore again. No sore throat or nasal issues though (except flowers and trees having sex in my nose) Time to go home and nap

1 minute ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Dems are chastised for being scared to go out without masks and socially distant. 

Republicans are scared to get vaccine because of an unconfirmed assumption there might be long term effects. With zero to think this might happen with mrna vaccines. 

One fear based in science. The other....... 

I think you could make the case that a hesitance to ingest unknown substances is biologically defensible.

• Like 2