• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

At any rate, if you've just had it I'd wait at least a couple months.  Personally I'm waiting 6-9 mos and then will reconsider if new strains are circulating.

Admittedly my story is anecdotal, but at least representative enough that some clinics are refusing to vaccinate within a certain period of contracting it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radarman said:

At any rate, if you've just had it I'd wait at least a couple months.  Personally I'm waiting 6-9 mos and then will reconsider if new strains are circulating.

Admittedly my story is anecdotal, but at least representative enough that some clinics are refusing to vaccinate within a certain period of contracting it.

My mother contracted covid between first and second shot. They gave her the second shot like a week out of quarantine, no issues. 

My wife and I were about a month and a half removed from covid when we got the mixer a dose.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Here's a snippet of the US. We're now at 51% vaccinated (1st dose), yet cases up 15%. Cases should start to crater soon. Rest of the states are here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=hp_pandemic-guide-box-1208

image.png.c9539a6f686b7b00920b2692f155ec37.png

I’m a little concerned about the lack of a tangible drop 

3 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I have kids in school who bring home all manner of crap. So I’m immune to most crud I imagine. 

My wife was sick as a dog for 2 weeks back in February 2020. All the symptoms. She was tested for flu and was negative. I’m convinced it was Covid. 

Yes, I was sick for 6 weeks that started back in that same time frame as your wife last year as well,  We have a home based daycare that my wife has been running for over 30+yrs, I think my immune system is top notch with all these toddlers and school age kids here 12hrs/day..........;)

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My mother contracted covid between first and second shot. They gave her the second shot like a week out of quarantine, no issues. 

My wife and I were about a month and a half removed from covid when we got the mixer a dose.

Is there any evidence that the jab is better than natural immunity?

My wife’s mom got the second Pfizer shot Saturday. 103 fever since then and cannot leave her bed. My entire family got it no issues, including my stage 4 cancer mom. I think drinking lots of water is huge in not getting sick. My wife’s mom never drinks enough and is prone to kidney stones. I’m now a little scared for my second next week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radarman said:

That might be a question for @WhitinsvilleWX. It has to do with antibodies too. From what I understand, those with mild cases from catching COVID may have a chance of losing antibody protection quicker compared to those with more severe cases they got naturally, or from the vaccine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My wife’s mom got the second Pfizer shot Saturday. 103 fever since then and cannot leave her bed. My entire family got it no issues, including my stage 4 cancer mom. I think drinking lots of water is huge in not getting sick. My wife’s mom never drinks enough and is prone to kidney stones. I’m now a little scared for my second next week. 

My brother in law is having a rough go as well after his second pfizer shot, He's had a high fever since Saturday as well and he got his second dose 7 days ago, I worry about him, He has copd.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, radarman said:

Not sure. I have read articles that say the combination of having Covid and then the vaccine offers something of a “super” immunity.

All the folks I know who had the moderna shot and had not previously had covid, had no side effect with shot one. I on the other hand, was pretty ill for like 12 hours, so I’d like to think this was a positive immune response from my body.

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That might be a question for @WhitinsvilleWX. It has to do with antibodies too. From what I understand, those with mild cases from catching COVID may have a chance of losing antibody protection quicker compared to those with more severe cases they got naturally, or from the vaccine. 

If anybody tells you they know, they’re full of shyte. Covid hasn’t been around long enough to follow anything long term, either from natural immunity or vaccine. It’ll take a couple years to really know for sure. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Do people get this sick from the flu shot? I have never heard of anything but a little arm soreness with that one.

I think they have the dose a little high. Moderna is at 100 micrograms per dose, Pfizer is 30 micrograms. Anecdotal evidence seems like Moderna has more side effects than Pfizer off the second shot. They could probably back off the second dose a little, cut the side effects and still see the same efficacy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I think they have the dose a little high. Moderna is at 100 micrograms per dose, Pfizer is 30 micrograms. Anecdotal evidence seems like Moderna has more side effects than Pfizer off the second shot. They could probably back off the second dose a little, cut the side effects and still see the same efficacy. 

Good to know. 

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Good to know. 

They just need to do more trials and play with the dosing regimen. That’s why it usually takes 4-5 years to get a vaccine. It’s not the safety. The safety data is generated in the first year. That’s really not an issue for these. Like I said before, even for a longer term vaccine study, they wouldn’t have enrolled enough patients to pick up a 1 in a million issue. It’s the dosing regimen and durability that’s worked out later. This one had to get done and out so they didn’t run as many regimen studies. Dont take that as it’s a bad thing though. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Somebody I know who contracted covid a few weeks ago in the same little outbreak that got me went to get vaccinated having heard a rumor that the vaccine was helping folks with lingering symptoms.  Upon getting there they refused to jab her saying it would make her very ill.  She complained and said her doctor said it was ok, etc., but no dice.  So the next day she went to a different clinic and they gave her the shot.  She went to work and collapsed and was taken to the hospital.

A nurse practitioner friend of mine had a similar experience. She got covid, received the vaccine a couple weeks later and was as sick as she'd ever been.

28 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Seems like something a longer trial would have sussed out... just saying.

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

They just need to do more trials and play with the dosing regimen. That’s why it usually takes 4-5 years to get a vaccine. It’s not the safety. The safety data is generated in the first year. That’s really not an issue for these. Like I said before, even for a longer term vaccine study, they wouldn’t have enrolled enough patients to pick up a 1 in a million issue. It’s the dosing regimen and durability that’s worked out later. This one had to get done and out so they didn’t run as many regimen studies. Dont take that as it’s a bad thing though. 

Man, you have good insight. 

23D1F8AC-B39E-4129-BBD3-C7BC96B965EE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I had lunch with a friend today whose wife is a pediatrician in a fairly dense metro area. He said her hours had been cut and she can only work 3 days a week now. I couldn't believe that. Doctors are always in demand. He explained that many pediatricians have had hours cut because sports injuries are not occurring, parents are skipping yearly physicals due to fear of COVID, no school referrals, and lack of people coming in for flu. So she was basically furloughed. Nuts. He said many surgeons who handle elective surgeries are having their hours slashed too.

Anyway, just a datapoint on the second/third order effects of lockdowns and restrictions. I found it really hard to believe.