Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

I drink my fair share of IPAs, mostly during the summer and my cholesterol takes a hit by the Fall. Any alcohol isn't great for you, but I think the corn syrup they add to some beer makes it worse due to the sugar. I don't think all of it is consumed during fermentation.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

There are no small craft breweries that I know of adding corn syrup to their ales.  Some use Belgian Candy sugar or beet sugar to up the ABV in strong ales and double IPA's becuase it is cheaper than Pilsner Malt (the most common malt in IPA).  The big commercial breweries do indeed use rice and corn and other sugars as fermentable adjuncts.  There are several possibilities of why some beers make you feel bad.

I'm tired now and this is a long discussion that I will get back to tomorrow.  I actually need to be up early to dump grain in the mill for brew day.    ^_^

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I needed ibuprofen after my first.   2nd wasn’t as sore but I was more tired although it wasn’t too bad.  Your friend has skin in the game at this point so he might as well complete it.   People do what they want but the inability to tolerate minor discomfort for so many people amazes me.   Worst case you’re housebound for a day or 2...

He's had some other medical issues too, He's not that old (early 50's) but has A fib and is on meds for that.

52 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

I’ve actually been around 1500-1800 per day for about 1 month now, it’s not easy to do when family and friends eating all day (teenagers)

On my diet last few months I've been under 1500 and lost almost 40 lbs, I've been working out too so that helps lose weight. I'm almost at my target weight so I can up a little once I get there though I've lost my appetite for big meals since I've got used to consuming less.

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

He's had some other medical issues too, He's not that old (early 50's) but has A fib and is on meds for that.

That sucks.  Hopefully he can do ok.

Covid sucks too.   My daughter’s friend who she hasn’t seen the past few weeks because she (the friend) has a new boyfriend was at a gathering, got covid, and is really sick.  21 years old.  Our daughter is fully vaccinated because she has.a weekend job taking care of a disabled woman in her home and the agency she works for arranged vaccinations for all of the home workers.   But few of any of her friends are vaccinated including her sick friend.   Hopefully the young woman ill does ok...

23 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That sucks.  Hopefully he can do ok.

Covid sucks too.   My daughter’s friend who she hasn’t seen the past few weeks because she (the friend) has a new boyfriend was at a gathering, got covid, and is really sick.  21 years old.  Our daughter is fully vaccinated because she has.a weekend job taking care of a disabled woman in her home and the agency she works for arranged vaccinations for all of the home workers.   But few of any of her friends are vaccinated including her sick friend.   Hopefully the young woman ill does ok...

The death statistics are what they are, but there seems to be a lot of randomness in the younger crowd. I was lucky and didn’t have it bad, but that doesn’t mean someone my age (27) won’t get it bad. I’m overweight by a bit, but in otherwise good health. Seems to just not matter sometimes though.

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The death statistics are what they are, but there seems to be a lot of randomness in the younger crowd. I was lucky and didn’t have it bad, but that doesn’t mean someone my age (27) won’t get it bad. I’m overweight by a bit, but in otherwise good health. Seems to just not matter sometimes though.

Two good friends of mine and their 3 year old daughter got it in March 2020 at the very beginning of this. The kid was totally fine as was mom. The guy was really ill for 10 days and it probably took him a good 6 months to finally get over the lingering stuff. He went from running 6-8 miles a few days a week to not being able to walk up a flight of stairs without being winded. Pretty scary stuff for healthy people in their mid 30s.

Have my second Pfizer shot on Thursday. Can't wait to be done with all of this and see concerts, go to bars, and do all the stuff I've missed in the last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Was at a meeting last night, And a buddy of mine that had got his first moderna shot 2 weeks ago said his arm had hurt real bad for 4 days where he got the injection and the pain went up into his neck, He's debating on if he will get the second one or not that's how bad it was for him.

Just woke up and couldn’t go back to sleep. So far so good. Arm about the same.

Your buddy might have gotten the injection too high up. If they got the needle a little high, it could have irritated the bursa. If that happened, the soreness could last a little longer. I’d stay the course and get the next one if that’s all the side effect he had. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

Ha wow I say this as someone who drinks way more then I should,  but also runs 3 miles a day and consistently snowboards/surf/skateboards that this comment is the biggest load of BS. Do you have any idea how many high functioning alcholics are out there? I’m sorry, I enjoy your posts normally, but you are delusional if you think you can drink as many beers as you want without consequences. It defies science and the  anatomy of our body. 

Bottom line.. as long as you burn off calories with exercise weight should not be an issue in tandem with watching caloric intake. It’s why diets don’t work . They lose weight, go off it and gain more back 

5 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Just woke up and couldn’t go back to sleep. So far so good. Arm about the same.

Your buddy might have gotten the injection too high up. If they got the needle a little high, it could have irritated the bursa. If that happened, the soreness could last a little longer. I’d stay the course and get the next one if that’s all the side effect he had. 

Glad you didn't get sick. I felt absolutely nothing from either shot other than feeling like a bruise if I touched the injection site with shot 1.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Bottom line.. as long as you burn off calories with exercise weight should not be an issue in tandem with watching caloric intake. It’s why diets don’t work . They lose weight, go off it and gain more back 

Its your liver that is the problem with alcohol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont think his point was the weight, it was the other effects but I also don’t think you were saying drinking a few everyday is healthy.

On my diet last few months I've been under 1500 and lost almost 40 lbs, I've been working out too so that helps lose weight. I'm almost at my target weight so I can up a little once I get there though I've lost my appetite for big meals since I've got used to consuming less.

Congrats!! I’m at 22 lbs, also started running and cycling. It’s amazing the benefits of dropping excess weight. Running has been great, usually I get back pain or shin pain when I hit mile 3 or 4, but no pain and fastest pace I’ve done I’m years. 20 more to go.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Glad you didn't get sick. I felt absolutely nothing from either shot other than feeling like a bruise if I touched the injection site with shot 1.

I’m up and getting ready to go into work. Arm is really sore. Had a hard time lifting it up to dry my hair with the towel. But other than that I feel fine.  If by this afternoon, 24 hours later there’s nothing else, I’d say it was pretty uneventful.  

15 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I’m up and getting ready to go into work. Arm is really sore. Had a hard time lifting it up to dry my hair with the towel. But other than that I feel fine.  If by this afternoon, 24 hours later there’s nothing else, I’d say it was pretty uneventful.  

My arm felt more sore after the first dose. After the second I felt a little crappy for around 8 hours the next day. No big deal. Same for my wife.  Tetanus shots affect me more 

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But we were talking about beer in conjunction with weight . Marijuana is bad for things too. Everyone has different likes 

One of the things that has always annoyed me about weed advocates is that they rarely, if ever, mention any of the negatives.  For example, it can't be all that healthy purposely inhaling burning material into your lungs.  Does it have the chemicals that tobacco has ? No but it is still burning a plant matter and putting that smoke into you.  It wouldn't surprise me if over time as pot becomes legal across the country, big business starts to work it's way in and start treating like tobacco.  Having said that, I realize that there are many positive properties in both the CBD and THC sides that make edibles and tinctures desirable for many and you can't argue that the societal effects are anywhere near what they are with alcohol. 

9 minutes ago, mreaves said:

One of the things that has always annoyed me about weed advocates is that they rarely, if ever, mention any of the negatives.  For example, it can't be all that healthy purposely inhaling burning material into your lungs.  Does it have the chemicals that tobacco has ? No but it is still burning a plant matter and putting that smoke into you.  It wouldn't surprise me if over time as pot becomes legal across the country, big business starts to work it's way in and start treating like tobacco.  Having said that, I realize that there are many positive properties in both the CBD and THC sides that make edibles and tinctures desirable for many and you can't argue that the societal effects are anywhere near what they are with alcohol. 

Edibles my man. Hard to find any negatives with them. 

9 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Cannabis is not even remotely close to being as dangerous and harmful as alcohol.

From the CDC.

Excessive alcohol use is responsible for more than 95,000 deaths in the United States each year, or 261 deaths per day. These deaths shorten the lives of those who die by an average of almost 29 years, for a total of 2.8 million years of potential life lost. It is a leading cause of preventable death in the United States, and cost the nation $249 billion in 2010.

More than half of alcohol-attributable deaths are due to health effects from drinking too much over time, such as various types of cancer, liver disease, and heart disease. However, short-term health effects from consuming a large amount of alcohol in a short period of time accounted for most of the years of potential life lost, such as deaths due to poisonings that involved another substance in addition to alcohol (e.g., drug overdoses), suicide, and motor vehicle crashes.

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Why is why edibles and tinctures are dominating. Inhaling smoke is bad no matter what the matter is. 

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Whats bad about edibles 

I don’t know enough about them . What I do know is any drug , has some type of negative side effects on the body. I’ve never done any drugs. Beer is all that I drink .Never smoked weed. Not once.  Never taken a puff of a cig. I only brought that up last night because there was discussion of beer / weight 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t know enough about them . What I do know is any drug , has some type of negative side effects on the body. I’ve never done any drugs. Beer is all that I drink .Never smoked weed. Not once.  Never taken a puff of a cig. 

Man you are boring AF.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I hear you loud and clear. There’s certainly issues and effects. What those are, remain to be seen. Similar to Covid vaccinations later in life 

• Weenie 3

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t know enough about them . What I do know is any drug , has some type of negative side effects on the body. I’ve never done any drugs. Beer is all that I drink .Never smoked weed. Not once.  Never taken a puff of a cig. I only brought that up last night because there was discussion of beer / weight 

Alcohol is a drug. Anything that alters your mental state is.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Why is why edibles and tinctures are dominating. Inhaling smoke is bad no matter what the matter is. 

Some are stuck in 1995 thinking. An occasional hit off a one hitter bat is ok. I can't smoke anyways due to my damaged lungs from the embolisms. But I think most people are eating rather than smoking.