• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I think the metric that “powers that be” want to use before saying it’s ok to unmask and open is cases under 10,000. That’s about 200 cases per day per state, on average. That’s a pretty low baseline. I honestly don’t know what the steady state positives will be nor what the baseline vaccination rate will be. 
The baseline case number to unmask and open up will have to be more than 10k per day I would think. I’m not sure that number is really attainable even in the medium term.

On another note, I get my second Moderna tomorrow at 4:28. Yes the times are that granular. I have to say I’m a little apprehensive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I think the metric that “powers that be” want to use before saying it’s ok to unmask and open is cases under 10,000. That’s about 200 cases per day per state, on average. That’s a pretty low baseline. I honestly don’t know what the steady state positives will be nor what the baseline vaccination rate will be. 
The baseline case number to unmask and open up will have to be more than 10k per day I would think. I’m not sure that number is really attainable even in the medium term.

On another note, I get my second Moderna tomorrow at 4:28. Yes the times are that granular. I have to say I’m a little apprehensive. 

Case counts depend upon testing. If you test enough, you will find the cases. If they test every single unvaccinated person a couple times a week (as some of the vaccine passport proposals have indicated may be the alternative to getting the vaccine) you will always find several hundred cases per day, IMO.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I wonder how many people have made it through this entire pandemic without ever being tested for COVID. I know I qualify, along with my wife and kids. Never tested.

It seems some people are regulars at the testing sites, however. 

I was tested once but only because they happened to do a drive through test site one day when I happened to be at my office. I just wanted to see what it was like. My wife and son haven’t been tested at all. 

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I wonder how many people have made it through this entire pandemic without ever being tested for COVID. I know I qualify, along with my wife and kids. Never tested.

My family did once when we came back from Disney. I had to so I could get back to work and the kids had to in order to get back in school. My wife had to get tested or they wouldn’t let the kids in school unless the whole family tested negative. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They were offering testing at my building once a week for a couple of months after work so I went. They stopped doing it at my building and moved it to another one across the city so I stopped. Plus all vaxxed up anyway. 

They offer once a week free testing at work. Not mandatory. I’ve never had the need to do it. 

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I’ve been tested probably 50 times. I tested once per week at least, sometimes twice, since July at my job.

That obviously stopped when I got COVID in Feb.... haven’t hD a test since 

18 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Good evening Phineas. I’ve never been tested on my own but as a regular blood donor, Ive found out that one of the sample vials is used to test for antibodies. I have never been notified of being positive. .I am now, thanks to loving daughters, fully Pfizer vaccinated, the daughters knew that, left to me, I probably would have waited until the 12th of never, as always ...

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Once for me.  Tested upon leaving Colorado from a ski trip.  That's it.  

17 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Better than the early days of the brain tickle-that was my biggest fear having to do that test....

18 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Better than the early days of the brain tickle-that was my biggest fear having to do that test....

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The testing I did was just the outer nose swab. For the last few times I did it myself

Our son gets tested twice per week at his U and it is self administered outer nose. No big deal. 

Mine was the brain tickle I think. Absolutely horrible.

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Then they will never open, because we will never get to 70-80 percent of people vaccinated at this rate. 

A constant state of fear, worry, and anxiety is the real "new normal". At least in this part of the country. Enough is enough, it's time to open up. Having had both shots, I feel like I'm cosplaying as a weirdo every time I have to wear a mask now. There's no need for it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

A constant state of fear, worry, and anxiety is the real "new normal". At least in this part of the country. Enough is enough, it's time to open up. Having had both shots, I feel like I'm cosplaying as a weirdo every time I have to wear a mask now. There's no need for it. 

And I promise you every unvaccinated person agrees with you. There seems to be a weird belief that we are the people still clinging to masks, restrictions, and fear. 

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

And I promise you every unvaccinated person agrees with you. There seems to be a weird belief that we are the people still clinging to masks, restrictions, and fear. 

At least this state has been on the more reasonable end of the spectrum the whole time. I go south of the border and still see people walking their dogs on a beautiful day, nobody within 500 feet of them, with a mask on. Blows my mind.

• Like 1

Just now, DomNH said:

At least this state has been on the more reasonable end of the spectrum the whole time. I go south of the border and still see people walking their dogs on a beautiful day, nobody within 500 feet of them, with a mask on. Blows my mind.

Yeah, NH has been pretty good. I have some seen some strange behaviors in VT and ME. People with masks on walking their huskies hundreds of feet away from anyone, furious spraying of all surfaces with bleach spray while masked and face-shielded, crowds gathered at outdoor spot-a-pots because the larger inside bathrooms were inexplicably closed due to COVID. Some spots in VT and ME really went off the deep end with all of this. I feel like maybe it's a combination of the standard COVID fear every state dealt with mixed with the sort of hippie and new age healing power crystal energy vibe stuff that tends to permeate these states already? LOL just my theory anyway. There definitely was a certain demographic of long gray-haired lady with sandals and huskies who seemed to take COVID most seriously out of anyone... NNE is full of them. Hopefully they will get their chakras aligned soon and ease off a bit. Some yoga might help.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, DomNH said:

yeah that's pretty weird I see that here in the burbs....

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

yeah that's pretty weird I see that here in the burbs....

Out of context it's weird, just like people in their cars by themselves windows up mask on. Then I realized I'm that weirdo because I am going to more than one place and don't feel like taking it off and then having to put it back on and adjust it etc. in between stops. Same with being outside. Rather than putting it on and taking it off in a public space depending on proximity to others it's just easier to leave it on.

23 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, NH has been pretty good. I have some seen some strange behaviors in VT and ME. People with masks on walking their huskies hundreds of feet away from anyone, furious spraying of all surfaces with bleach spray while masked and face-shielded, crowds gathered at outdoor spot-a-pots because the larger inside bathrooms were inexplicably closed due to COVID. Some spots in VT and ME really went off the deep end with all of this. I feel like maybe it's a combination of the standard COVID fear every state dealt with mixed with the sort of hippie and new age healing power crystal energy vibe stuff that tends to permeate these states already? LOL just my theory anyway. There definitely was a certain demographic of long gray-haired lady with sandals and huskies who seemed to take COVID most seriously out of anyone... NNE is full of them. Hopefully they will get their chakras aligned soon and ease off a bit. Some yoga might help.

How are you celebrating 4/20 today Phin?  ;)

• Haha 1