Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

There will be more people in theaters once studios start putting them in there. Right now there are only a couple of new ones. The big tent pole one (King Kong vs Godzilla) got terrible reviews so it isn’t packing them in

Out local place is doing better now.  They sold out many weekends of the rentals and now are doing public shows.  

Eh, we'll see.

Many studios seem to already be moving away from blockbusters in theaters to putting out episodic shows on the various streaming platforms. I don't see a serious bounce back in theaters because the age of the blockbuster movie may be at an end anyway. Maybe some local joints can make it by turning more boutique, as described in my prior post.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I hope you're wrong . I miss a packed theater man .

Im totally fine going to the movies.  I hope for the love of God they hang on .I've been to the theater 3 times this past year .  The Saturday night showing was about 50% capacity which I was fine with.  The more the merrier.  Let's get back to normal please . The other 2 times it was like only 12 people in the theater which was kind of sad ( Pennsylvania).

I feel like the studios have wanted to break the back of the theater companies for a while anyway. There are economic reasons why it is better for Disney to release seasonal shows rather than throw all the eggs in the basket of a major blockbuster movie that may bomb. Further, companies such as Amazon and Netflix are now stepping up and making theater-quality productions, but they started as streaming platforms and have always treated theaters as a secondary channel.

I am not a big theater guy and never was so maybe this is one area I am biased on because I don't really care if theaters go away. It costs me well over 100 dollars to take my family to see a movie now... kinda crazy. I can just buy the movie outright for 20 bux and nearly everyone has giant TVs or projectors at home now anyway.

• Haha 1

I haven’t been to a theatre to see a movie in 25 years. I have teenagers too and they both couldn’t care less if they go to a theaters or not. They’re fine with Netflix, Disney plus, etc. 

Thats not something we ever missed in all this. We have been to the drive-in in Mendon and the one down in North Smithfield. 
The shut down has affected my wife the most. She and her sister go to a lot of live music events so that’s been tough. We also have season tickets to the Hanover Theatre Broadway series. That came to a halt. Supposedly the season starting in September at the Hanover is planning on a full season. We got our renewal notice and there was no mention of restricted capacity.

• Like 1

Brick and mortar theaters are on the way out.   I wish it weren’t so..love the theater experience.   But streaming services are producing so much high quality stuff it doesn’t make sense to keep them going.   Home theater used to only be for wealthy people.    Now it’s for everyone.

• Like 1

Theater visits were already down prior to Covid. 5% in 2019.  
As Phin (and I many months ago) and others have posted, boutique theaters (with food etc) will be what survives   This has been forecast for literally decades.  

I am interested in the July release of Black Widow.  Curious to see how it does when compared to similar Marvel films like Ant Man, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel (in terms of scope) 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

How many kids u have :whistle:

No I get your reasoning but imo there's enough theater lovers like me to keep it going . Nothing beats the BIG screen 

Some will remain...but the days of a multiplex in almost every town are over.  The potential audiences are much much smaller going forward...who wants to pay $100 for a family of four (includes snacks) when you can watch it at home for $8?  The 2 theaters here (one with 2 screens, one with 8 or 10) both closed here in the last year....

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Brick and mortar theaters are on the way out.   I wish it weren’t so..love the theater experience.   But streaming services are producing so much high quality stuff it doesn’t make sense to keep them going.   Home theater used to only be for wealthy people.    Now it’s for everyone.

Having a 65”-75”+ screen with a decent soundbar or system is definitely more doable for many. 

The home experience can also reduce distractions and offer other benefits (pausing for the bathroom etc)

Our great room/family room is set up as a theater-ish with reclining seats etc  

But I still like to sit in a proper theater.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

There's also many rural people like me who don't have a hard line like cable or fiber and rely on a hotspot . Netflix and Prime are hit and miss for mby . Crappy signal and loss of signal completely ....happens often . DVDs are always a lock though :lol: and ofc the theater .

I actually just wrote about this issue vis a vis health care.  One of the biggest priorities in the public sector is to equalize broad band so that rural and highly rural areas have access.   Think about it from a health care perspective.   Rural based patients have to travel long distances for specialty care.   Telemedicine should bring the rural based patient more equal patient access but lack of strong broad band coverage makes it tough in many areas.    Like the rural electrification done in the 1930s, we need as a country to prioritize this.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

As Phin (and I many months ago) and others have posted, boutique theaters (with food etc) will be what survives   This has been forecast for literally decades.  

I am interested in the July release of Black Widow.  Curious to see how it does when compared to similar Marvel films like Ant Man, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel (in terms of scope) 

Covid or no covid, I think they are or were on the way out anyway. So many ways to view movies and media now. If you can wait 10 minutes, you can watch it on your tablet or tv for a fraction of the price.

I bought a 65 inch tv for like $350.... I can pretty much create a movie feel in my living room.

It’ll devolve from primary media to a cottage industry ... but it won’t go away entirely for reasons cited here - if the proportions are similar there’ll be millions that’ll provide enough for ‘boutique’ ... eventually   There are other formats to consider like dinner theaters like Chunkies and so forth - those kinds of places… People have to get their kids outta their houses one way or the other ... the list goes on ...there’s gonna be lots of reasons why people want these kinds of outlets so there will always be at least some demand enough to keep a few options accessible.

... but the age of theaters providing the only means for the silver screen experience are over. 

I want to see top gun 2

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you have some room, consider a 4K projector and screen. I think many people have not priced them and assume they cost thousands and thousands. Not true. You can get a great 4K projector and 120”+ mounted screen for less than a new 80” TV. You need the right room for it but it is doable on a budget. Totally changes the experience of watching a movie at home. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

If you have some room, consider a 4K projector and screen. I think many people have not priced them and assume they cost thousands and thousands. Not true. You can get a great 4K projector and 120”+ mounted screen for less than a new 80” TV. You need the right room for it but it is doable on a budget. Totally changes the experience of watching a movie at home. 

You def need to be able to get the room pretty dark but they are def better than even a few years ago. And not that expensive like you said.  Then of course you need a sound system but those aren’t bad. We just use a soundbar. 
The projector Would not work for my house because we don’t have a wall big enough (lots of Windows) 

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, but it literally changed when Biden took office. Restrictions are actually much tighter now at DoD facilities than they were last summer. It doesn't make much sense, but then again being double-masked during a state dinner after full vaccination doesn't make any sense either.

Phins correct, the minute his SECDEF was approved, mask rqmts changed to all the time, including outdoors and , my favorite, doing cardio at the gym. Oftentimes I was the only person doing  cardio in a space the size of a basketball court and was expected to wear a mask. They got tired of asking to wear it in those instances. Two weeks ago the removed they removed the requirement for cardio machines 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

13 hours ago, S&P said:

Phins correct, the minute his SECDEF was approved, mask rqmts changed to all the time, including outdoors and , my favorite, doing cardio at the gym. Oftentimes I was the only person doing  cardio in a space the size of a basketball court and was expected to wear a mask. They got tired of asking to wear it in those instances. Two weeks ago the removed they removed the requirement for cardio machines 

Can't really imagine trying to do cardio while masked.  It's tough enough singing in our choir - skilled composers always leave room for catch-breaths between phrases, but that's "maskless room" and not enough when drawing air through the cloth.  Sometimes it feels like I'll suck the mask halfway down my throat.  :o

17 hours ago, weathafella said:

I love going to the movies. A neighbor up the street from us, is wealthy and a film buff, so he and his wife stepped in to save the Garden Theatre in downtown Greenfield.

I’m taking my kid to see King Kong versus Godzilla later this week.  

The bonus is, the town gave him a beer and wine license! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I love going to the movies. A neighbor up the street from us, is wealthy and a film buff, so he and his wife stepped in to save the Garden Theatre in downtown Greenfield.

I’m taking my kid to see King Kong versus Godzilla later this week.  

The bonus is, the town gave him a beer and wine license! 

Godzilla vs Kong sucked watched in on HBO max. But a kid will like it

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, weathafella said:

Our theater in Stowe is one of the few with waitstaff... can order drinks, beer, etc during the movie which keeps some novelty to it. Like a bar that you watch a movie at. Surprised more don’t have a liquor license for serving in-movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1