Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

On a different note, just sat down and am catching the last half hour of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. For us Gen X’ers, this is one of the touchstone movies of our youth. Even if not everything was exactly the same as where you were going to high school, there are enough things that you can identify with that are hilarious. 

Are you in my class? I am today dude.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One positive is that we just now purchased a Keurig K Cafe machine and I’m happy to report is it makes decent cappuccinos. Got a good deal on it

Work just ditched their basic Keurig and went with a Flavia system. It does regular coffee, tea, cappuccino, latte, hot chocolate etc.  They have a froth packet you use to make the steamed milk. Powered milk but its actually really good when its frothed up with the coffee.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Wachusett had a pretty successful season $$$ wise talking to someone we know in their accounting. 

I don't have inside info, but my impression is that Berkshire East did too.  A lot of it might have had to do with VT travel restrictions, but also I think WFH policies made it way easier to play hooky during the week.

17 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm pretty surprised where I work only one guy got covid at this point. Quite a few anti maskers including him and they work close to one another doing manual labor. In the labs where I work we're masked up but it took several months before anyone other than me to wear one. Our ceo doesn't enforce them so it's odd and annoying at times to work with some who wear them and some who don't.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

We have to wear them in the lab and if you sit in a cube. Although most in the cube folks pull them down on their chin when they’re at their desk. There’s no mask police. 

There’s 3 floors in our 7 floor building with lab people. We have 10 including 2 managers on our floor, and about that many on the other 2. In the other 8 story building, there’s 5 floors of lab including the vivarium. Probably 70 people in that building. We’ve not had one case in 10 months at any location. We’re still at 50% capacity but the daily census is around 25%. They still haven’t said when the office people need/have to come back. The rumblings are probably not until 2022.

13 minutes ago, White Rain said:

I know the crowds were pretty decent at Wachusett from my trips with the family this season. In our case I messed up and didnt get passes at the start of the season and they were not available if you did not get them during a very limited period at the start. May have helped to boost their profits.

They say they are limiting them again this upcoming year, and they are starting to sell them in early May.   If you are looking for a little bit of a discount, I have a GPS group which usually saves you $10 per pass.

I am assuming they are limiting them again (hopefully with more available) because they make way more dough on day tickets

2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Taking off well now. 

499AC926-98FD-4A74-B342-DE9A73902661.jpeg

Not specifically about Europe but People have to keep in mind , Take many of the poorer countries numbers with a grain of salt regarding trends .

India was VASTLY under reporting in the beginning . I am not saying numbers aren’t growing in other countries , just that some trends can’t be established as well as we would like due to horrible reporting , maybe they have been solid since last summer , I don’t know . If the desths spike in 3 weeks in India you will know it’s not from more testing 

The variants are more contagious so the lack of vaccinations in Other countries are clearly leading to spikes not just in cases but deaths with a 3-4 week lag

I have been anticipating a slow rise /spike in US cases From the more contagious variants becoming dominant but* not in deaths due to elderly and middle age vaccinations being high and younger Unvaccinated  folks getting more new cases 

12 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Also posted this in the lawn thread:

Does anyone have recommendations for a nursery in Worcester/Middlesex Counties that sells, delivers, and plants fairly mature bushes/trees? Not looking for huge things, but still like 7-8' mountain laurels.

Thanks!

Try Weston Nursery in Hopkinton. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Also posted this in the lawn thread:

Does anyone have recommendations for a nursery in Worcester/Middlesex Counties that sells, delivers, and plants fairly mature bushes/trees? Not looking for huge things, but still like 7-8' mountain laurels.

Thanks!

There's one on West Main in Hopkinton too, I think it's Angels. Looks like they have a lot of things and provide a lot of sevices.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:49 AM, snowman21 said:

It wasn't buried, it's just old news. We are a year removed from the initial scare that surfaces that may have been contaminated with the virus pose a significant risk. If public places want to continue the bunny suit deep cleanings, that's fine by me. More cleanliness and hygiene in public places is way better than less. Does anyone ever complain that some place is too clean?

IMO they buried it purposeful behavior by the mSM. Primarily transmitted via aerosols was their conclusion. But yes general cleanliness a good thing may actually help reduce other transmissions, like the flu

14 hours ago, PhineasC said:

If you work for the Federal govt (and surely most state and local govts), you can't even sit in an office by yourself with the door locked without a mask on. You can't roam outside at any Federal installation or facility without a mask on, even if you are the only person for 50 miles in any direction. 

Yes That’s the policy and it depends on how people act at different locations but my experience is people are respectful of others wishes when required. I see very few people (any) wear  a mask alone in their office and if two people want to meet without masks they do it. I never where a mask outside on base With no repercussions 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

If you work for the Federal govt (and surely most state and local govts), you can't even sit in an office by yourself with the door locked without a mask on. You can't roam outside at any Federal installation or facility without a mask on, even if you are the only person for 50 miles in any direction. 

Despite Maine's generally tight restrictions, state employees aren't treated quite like that.  When I'm at the office (about once per 2 weeks) I have to be masked while in the hallway or with others nearby but my little corner is 20' from the hall and it's masks off.  We're limited to 2 per state vehicle, masks on, but no silliness about masking while bushwhacking thru the woods - likely would have it ripped off in the brush.  As of this time no Parks and Lands employees have tested positive, and the staff at state parks have had lots of contact with visitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S&P said:

Yes That’s the policy and it depends on how people act at different locations but my experience is people are respectful of others wishes when required. I see very few people (any) wear  a mask alone in their office and if two people want to meet without masks they do it. I never where a mask outside on base With no repercussions 

That’s good, I am just not a fan of rules that are stupid and can be ignored usually but are still on the books. Sometimes they are suddenly enforced or used to target certain groups (e.g, jaywalking and loitering laws used to target urban youths).

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Despite Maine's generally tight restrictions, state employees aren't treated quite like that.  When I'm at the office (about once per 2 weeks) I have to be masked while in the hallway or with others nearby but my little corner is 20' from the hall and it's masks off.  We're limited to 2 per state vehicle, masks on, but no silliness about masking while bushwhacking thru the woods - likely would have it ripped off in the brush.  As of this time no Parks and Lands employees have tested positive, and the staff at state parks have had lots of contact with visitors.

Same for state employees in VT

22 hours ago, PhineasC said:

That was not true in the federal workplace I was in during the first 6 months of the pandemic.   No one masked in private and it was evident on the too many calls we had.   In fact, a directive specifically saying that masking is required outside of private offices.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 12:26 PM, PhineasC said:

Exactly. DINK couples hitting Whole Foods and the local pizza joint once a week acting like we are wide open across the land. LOL

Went to a movie yesterday.

4 people in the theater to see a movie that came out a week ago.

RIP to cinema.

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

That was not true in the federal workplace I was in during the first 6 months of the pandemic.   No one masked in private and it was evident on the too many calls we had.   In fact, a directive specifically saying that masking is required outside of private offices.

Yes, but it literally changed when Biden took office. Restrictions are actually much tighter now at DoD facilities than they were last summer. It doesn't make much sense, but then again being double-masked during a state dinner after full vaccination doesn't make any sense either.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, traditional theaters are dead. All that may remain is a few boutique "old timey" theaters as more of a nostalgic thing, like drive-in theaters are today.

Used to have several within 1/2 hour where we lived when I was a kid, there's only one left, I took my nephew one night and it was pretty full, was surprised.

There will be more people in theaters once studios start putting them in there. Right now there are only a couple of new ones. The big tent pole one (King Kong vs Godzilla) got terrible reviews so it isn’t packing them in

Out local place is doing better now.  They sold out many weekends of the rentals and now are doing public shows.  

• Thanks 1