• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

That’s why I don’t understand when we have the constant “open it back up” stuff here when literally nothing is closed. Schools are open, restaurants are open, movie theaters are open and gyms are open. What is still closed? We seem to be one of the most liberal countries when it comes to opening up activities and venues.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

That’s why I don’t understand when we have the constant “open it back up” stuff here when literally nothing is closed. Schools are open, restaurants are open, movie theaters are open and gyms are open. What is still closed? We seem to be one of the most liberal countries when it comes to opening up activities and venues.

It's because, when they look at their calendars, they still think it's April 2020 instead of April 2021.  they likely haven't left their house in a year and thus haven't realized things are open.

8 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Many schools are still closed multiple days per week and restaurants/shops in many places have strict capacity and time restrictions. Leave your bubble and you’ll see. 

4 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I mostly agree with you on the “open up” question-But some restrictions are just illogical at this point.

For example, here in NY (and MA used to have this restriction), you must order food if you’re at a bar/restaurant. So, you can’t grab cocktails at a different place before going to dinner. Another example would be the subway shutdowns from 2AM-4AM for “deep cleaning” when we know the disease doesn’t spread efficiently on surfaces. 

Bringing it back to New England, why does Gov. Baker allow indoor restaurants to open at 100% but outdoor sporting events and concerts aren’t yet allowed to be open at anything close to full capacity?

In my view, you either go really hard on restrictions (I.e. New Zealand) or no restrictions at all. This in between shit just makes everyone crazy, whether it’s the “Covid-Zero” types or the Clay Travis disciples.

5 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I mostly agree with you on the “open up” question-But some restrictions are just illogical at this point.

For example, here in NY (and MA used to have this restriction), you must order food if you’re at a bar/restaurant. So, you can’t grab cocktails at a different place before going to dinner. Another example would be the subway shutdowns from 2AM-4AM for “deep cleaning” when we know the disease doesn’t spread efficiently on surfaces. 

Bringing it back to New England, why does Gov. Baker allow indoor restaurants to open at 100% but outdoor sporting events and concerts aren’t yet allowed to be open at anything close to full capacity?

In my view, you either go really hard on restrictions (I.e. New Zealand) or no restrictions at all. This in between shit just makes everyone crazy, whether it’s the “Covid-Zero” types or the Clay Travis disciples.

Lot of folks here without school age kids apparently. 

17 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

How many concerts have you been to this month? Ask a catering company how business is. Get out of your bubble

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

Lot of folks here without school age kids apparently. 

Correct, I’m 25 and single :) 

But agree that school issue is a big one, it just doesn’t personally affect me much (besides the fact that our GDP is probably constrained by 10-20 bps/yr on a 20 time horizon due to learning loss).

Restaurants are 100% capacity in mass?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Many schools are still closed multiple days per week and restaurants/shops in many places have strict capacity and time restrictions. Leave your bubble and you’ll see. 

how many times recently have you been refused entry at a restaurant because of capacity limits?  keep feigning that faux outrage.

Just now, fujiwara79 said:

how many times recently have you been refused entry at a restaurant because of capacity limits?  keep feigning that faux outrage.

Many times. I have probably traveled more than anyone here since the pandemic started. If you can’t get a reservation to even a chain restaurant that is just like being turned away. You are the guy arguing for WFH for all time so I doubt you go out much. 

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Restaurants are 100% capacity in mass?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

the only 'restrictions' right now are international travel and mosh pits at concerts.  but the perpetually aggrieved and outraged will continue to complain about "lockdowns" ten years from now.  at this point it's part of their mental programming and now reflective of reality.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

the only 'restrictions' right now are international travel and mosh pits at concerts.  but the perpetually aggrieved and outraged will continue to complain about "lockdowns" ten years from now.  at this point it's part of their mental programming and now reflective of reality.

This is definitely not the case. You clearly have zero idea what you are talking about. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Many times. I have probably traveled more than anyone here since the pandemic started. If you can’t get a reservation to even a chain restaurant that is just like being turned away.

sorry, but no.  i've had trouble getting reservations for my preferred times to restaurants before covid.  happens all the time.  waiting an hour to get seated at oilve garden was commonplace on a saturday night but now you can walk right in.  keep raging, bro.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You are the guy arguing for WFH for all time so I doubt you go out much. 

okay, boomer.  you've got quite the social lifestyle given your 26k posts.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That’s not really true. They still have to have tables and booths 6 feet apart... so it’s more than likely nowhere close to 100%

And for many smaller restaurants that’s still a huge restriction. Restaurants need to be packed to have the slim profit margins work out. The single 20-something DoorDash crowd has zero clue about any of that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

And for many smaller restaurants that’s still a huge restriction. Restaurants need to be packed to have the slim profit margins work out. The single 20-something DoorDash crowd has zero clue about any of that. 

Not sure why you’re attacking me when I posted earlier that many of the restrictions are nonsensical? I’ve also done my part in supporting the restaurant and travel industry. I eat out multiple times per week, have travelled to Utah and South Carolina already in 2021, and violated the quarantine rule in VT several times in order to ski!

And before you say that I’m not feeling any economic hardship. It’s true that I’ve kept my job, have a reasonably high income, etc... But my company’s most profitable segment, our gum and mints business, is down 30% since Covid began due to the fact that people don’t like chewing gum while wearing masks. As a result, bonuses were reduced, we’ve laid people off, etc...

Have I proved my Covid bona fides to you yet? (Not that I need to-but I’m not going to sit around while you attack me on here)

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I work with these businesses daily and many got more from the 3 PPP distributions then they would have received in a reduced Covid crowd the last 12 months. Even with 100% occupancy, I doubt many restaurants reach that point during the last 12 months. You should see how much some of these restaurants have in their accounts when they usually are just breaking even.

2 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Not sure why you’re attacking me when I posted earlier that many of the restrictions are nonsensical? I’ve also done my part in supporting the restaurant and travel industry. I eat out multiple times per week, have travelled to Utah and South Carolina already in 2021, and violated the quarantine rule in VT several times in order to ski!

And before you say that I’m not feeling any economic hardship. It’s true that I’ve kept my job, have a reasonably high income, etc... But my company’s most profitable segment, our gum and mints business, is down 30% since Covid began due to the fact that people don’t like chewing gum while wearing masks. As a result, bonuses were reduced, we’ve laid people off, etc...

Have I proved my Covid bona fides to you yet? (Not that I need to-but I’m not going to sit around while you attack me on here)

Don’t take it personally, I think you get it, fundamentally. Guys like @fujiwara79 are a big part of the issue, however. There is a tendency for the WFH techno-capitalist class to keep pushing for lockdowns and restrictions because they feel zero impact from such things and have an anti-social bent already. The vast majority of journalists and media figures are also in this group. That’s really not a good thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I work with these businesses daily and many got more from the 3 PPP distributions then they would have received in a reduced Covid crowd the last 12 months. Even with 100% occupancy, I doubt many restaurants reach that point during the last 12 months.

PPP loans definitely helped but many businesses missed out. You had to move fast. 

I’m from PA so that’s why it may be different here, but we have a liberal governor and literally everything is open. I’m guessing in Maryland or Massachusetts things aren’t? I think it should all be open, I’m not arguing otherwise...just stating I don’t see much closed or off limits.

Just now, PhineasC said:

PPP loans definitely helped but many businesses missed out. You had to move fast. 

Yeah, most of my clients got them. I work at a large bank and we adapted quickly. Most of the smaller businesses 1-3 employees were the ones hurt the most. They were too late/or didn't know how to go through the process. It was quite complicated in the first few months.

3 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I’m from PA so that’s why it may be different here, but we have a liberal governor and literally everything is open. I’m guessing in Maryland or Massachusetts things aren’t? I think it should all be open, I’m not arguing otherwise...just stating I don’t see much closed or off limits.

Or maybe you just don’t do much? Never attend concerts, or ball games, or shows?

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Or maybe you just don’t do much? Never attend concerts, or ball games, or shows?

I work two jobs one my career one to help pay off college so not a lot of time to being doing a lot of that, but I’ve seen full high school baseball games well attended, local theater has been open for community orchestra, restaurants have been booming and local bars and wineries having live music. Seems like we’re coming out of it pretty good.