• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

On my mother's side, my grandmother lived to 94, one aunt lived to 89, another aunt lived past 100.  My mother died at 54 from ovarian cancer, but her twin brother lived to 90.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at 50, and apparently there is a genetic link between ovarian and prostate cancers.  Hope I dodged the bullet and hit my 90s like the others!

• Like 4

Not sure how I feel about this whole booster thing. If it’s yearly, no problem. Like the flu vax, but six months. Idk. I thought the whole rush is to mostly reduce it to manageable levels. I think folks will always die of covid like the Flu but if we need to live getting a shot every 6 months seems crazy. I agree with most that we will learn to live that like many other viruses, people will die, there will always be new variants and we will need to vaccinate yearly. The question is what is that acceptance level of deaths? 100 a day? 50?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Not sure how I feel about this whole booster thing. If it’s yearly, no problem. Like the flu vax, but six months. Idk. I thought the whole rush is to mostly reduce it to manageable levels. I think folks will always die of covid like the Flu but if we need to live getting a shot every 6 months seems crazy. I agree with most that we will learn to live that like many other viruses, people will die, there will always be new variants and we will need to vaccinate yearly. The question is what is that acceptance level of deaths? 100 a day? 50?

200/day?  75k/year. 

Heart disease claims 1800/day, but it’s not “contagious”. 

1 hour ago, Bostonseminole said:

Welcome to the club! 

Hey where did our conversation go ? oh is that related to that row over vax the other day .. ah shit I made a cool written post about ‘zombie carriers’ (asymptonatic transmitters ) and wanted to rescue the line for me writin’ but it’s gone d’oh

I guess didn’t think I was contributing to any fights but okay

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Very strong business forces at the major pharmaceutical companies are going to ensure the public remains terrified of COVID and is on-board with boosters as often as needed by the shareholders. 

Maybe if we socialized medicine and pharma we wouldn't have share holders? 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I doubt it for Maine. Talk radio this morning was asking whether Gov Mills and Dr Shah had any metrics that need to be met to loosen restrictions. Apparently she has none. I'm sure in backroom discussions they've certainly discussed, but they shouldn't keep the people in the dark. I mean we're getting close to 50% vaccinated and they don't have anything to say? Their silence is probably doing more harm at this point and contributing to increased cases because people are tired of the merry go round, especially when the most vulnerable are vaccinated, we've pretty much done everything the state CDC has asked and yet we're being treated like it's one year ago.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I doubt it for Maine. Talk radio this morning was asking whether Gov Mills and Dr Shah had any metrics that need to be met to loosen restrictions. Apparently she has none. I'm sure in backroom discussions they've certainly discussed, but they shouldn't keep the people in the dark. I mean we're getting close to 50% vaccinated and they don't have anything to say? Their silence is probably doing more harm at this point and contributing to increased cases because people are tired of the merry go round, especially when the most vulnerable are vaccinated, we've pretty much done everything the state CDC has asked and yet we're being treated like it's one year ago.

There appears to be a camp of people who are still of the mindset that we can get to "near zero" cases by "vaccinating everyone" before we reopen. It seems they are stuck in 2020 mode still with impossible goals.

The last time I was in Maine in late March, I was struck by how much they emphasized the surface cleaning hygiene theater behavior. They seemed even more into it than VT. 

BTW, the CDC has formally changed their position and are now saying regular household cleaning and hygiene practices (such as just washing your hands with soap) are sufficient. No more need for people in bunny suits to be hosing down every surface at night.

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-com-original/updated-cdc-cleaning-guidance-highlights-coronavirus-spread-mostly-through-air-not-surfaces/

The media really buried this one, unsurprisingly.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

41 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

There appears to be a camp of people who are still of the mindset that we can get to "near zero" cases by "vaccinating everyone" before we reopen. It seems they are stuck in 2020 mode still with impossible goals.

The last time I was in Maine in late March, I was struck by how much they emphasized the surface cleaning hygiene theater behavior. They seemed even more into it than VT. 

BTW, the CDC has formally changed their position and are now saying regular household cleaning and hygiene practices (such as just washing your hands with soap) are sufficient. No more need for people in bunny suits to be hosing down every surface at night.

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-com-original/updated-cdc-cleaning-guidance-highlights-coronavirus-spread-mostly-through-air-not-surfaces/

It wasn't buried, it's just old news. We are a year removed from the initial scare that surfaces that may have been contaminated with the virus pose a significant risk. If public places want to continue the bunny suit deep cleanings, that's fine by me. More cleanliness and hygiene in public places is way better than less. Does anyone ever complain that some place is too clean?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jim Marusak said:

quick question. are there any RAOBS going up from Chatham MA any more? did they relocate the UA station to the Boston NWS office? or something else wrong? thanks.

Apparently ...they were discontinued as of March 31 citing site stability due to erosion as the primary factor/safety for personnel access to the station.  I don't "think" it's intended to be permanent based upon the content provided here,

https://www.weather.gov/media/box/Chatham_Closure.pdf

4 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

It wasn't buried, it's just old news. We are a year removed from the initial scare that surfaces that may have been contaminated with the virus pose a significant risk. If public places want to continue the bunny suit deep cleanings, that's fine by me. More cleanliness and hygiene in public places is way better than less. Does anyone ever complain that some place is too clean?

It’s definitely not old news. The CDC literally just provided updated guidance on this topic based on new study results. Many businesses and schools have been wasting millions of dollars on unnecessary extra cleaning. Hopefully states will catch on soon and drop requirements. 

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Apparently ...they were discontinued as of March 31 citing site stability due to erosion as the primary factor/safety for personnel access to the station.  I don't "think" it's intended to be permanent based upon the content provided here,

https://www.weather.gov/media/box/Chatham_Closure.pdf

thanks. hope they can relocate it soon, whether to Logan Airport or at the NWS office near Norton.

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s definitely not old news. The CDC literally just provided updated guidance on this topic based on new study results. Many businesses and schools have been wasting millions of dollars on unnecessary extra cleaning. Hopefully states will catch on soon and drop requirements. 

It's old news from a practical standpoint. It's been a year since anyone has suggested you're gonna catch Covid from a Prime delivery or because you didn't run your groceries through a Lysol bath before using them. That's fine if the CDC took its sweet time updating official guidance because they wanted to wait for fully conclusive studies to complete. The deep cleanings we see businesses undertake are half theater/public reassurance and half CYA over potential claims of negligence. Until you had brought it up I thought wash your hands, wear a mask, socially distance was basically it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Knee jerk morning coffee hot take:  depends on how much time...

Small Pox was  "declared" eradicated by WHO/ world ... circa 1979 I believe, but it was something on the order of a 30-year campaign.  

Obviously the immediate rebuttals are: 

tech and ubiquity therein and the science of medicine are vastly superior at this end of modernity ... Of course they will team up to - maybe - make goals more satisfyingly faster.  'Don't know, but that seems to be comparing two eras that are too unlike, which risks false equivalency traps and so forth ...

The other obvious aspect that leaps to mind is that Small Pox is not in the Corona virus family ... I'm 'pretty sure its pathogenicity is different - like you had to be right in the person's safe zone, almost sharing bio-spooge droplets closer to source; contrasting, SAR CoV2 is more robust and can hang in the air longer and remain viable, making it harder to contain..etc. They may both be trans via aerosol but the proficiency makes them tough direct comparison.

Anyway ...to your point, I doubt these "vax everyone" thinkers come from a realistic logistical worldly awareness... And, spending the next 20 .. 30 years in masks, social distancing,... and ( gag ) persona of feigning virtuosity shit?  I don't think society is signing up for that and the signs of 'silent revolt' are pretty much not so silent anymore as it is... It probably isn't what they really have in mind.   My god. 

They're imagination is seeded in the fertility of convenience, which produces unrealistic visions of success.  It reminds me of the Simpson episode from back in the day, where the kids of the on-going regular cast end up in a "Lord Of The Flies" rip on some island - the show did that regularly, mocking popular lit and cinema through their comedic lens. But there is this amusing sequence in there where Bart convinces Nelson Muntz and the 'bully faction' that there is no reason to oppress because "...With the monkey butlers serving us all, we'll live in paradise"  ... Of course their doing cut aways to visualizations of Ewok-ian tree house utopic communities with the kids in hammocks being served umbrella drinks and burgers by monkey staff ...  Awesome stuff ...

'Everyone vaccinated' ideology is very 'monkey butler-ish' naive.

More seriously to point, they are likely naive to the point of disconnect ...

Multi- generational cyclic conveniences become the way it is,  a presumption ...and there's just no awareness otherwise.

11 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

It's old news from a practical standpoint. It's been a year since anyone has suggested you're gonna catch Covid from a Prime delivery or because you didn't run your groceries through a Lysol bath before using them. That's fine if the CDC took its sweet time updating official guidance because they wanted to wait for fully conclusive studies to complete. The deep cleanings we see businesses undertake are half theater/public reassurance and half CYA over potential claims of negligence. Until you had brought it up I thought wash your hands, wear a mask, socially distance was basically it.

Your personal ignorance is not reality. 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Your personal ignorance is not reality. 

You are being a drama queen. If you want to stay scared because some government web site is slow to update, have at it. If you're pissed about the way your state is running things during the pandemic, move to a different state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2