Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ah interesting. I mean the schools sound like some around here, but most of what you stated doesn't seem all that much different to be honest.  If you don't go to church or have kids in school... your life is probably pretty similar. I followed most folks' advice from way back and don't watch MSM... just put a mask on inside, and go about life. 

It definitely seems like something where the more one dwells on COVID and thinks about it, the more space it takes up in one's life.  I guess there are stressors on both sides of the aisle... from folks worried about COVID, to the folks worried about the worrying over COVID.  Can't control how others think and feel, but I do agree with you that going from NNE chill to suburbia high-strung energy must be a shock.  No more kumbaya listening to live music on a June-like Friday evening.

I realize you guys are just on-going through colloquy on the matter to pass time ...nor asking for a rant.  But duh?  Isn't this ( bold above) exactly what the "MSM," ( did you mean MSN ? )  ... CNN's, Fox News, CNBC, FB ( before they "supposedly" grew a conscience)  wanted all along?

( right now you're going, 'yeah yeah, we know.'  But I still wanna rant lol -)

The day the "Industrialized media conglomerate" figured out how to convert thumb swiping these filthy germ glazed portable devises ( or mouse clicks ) into money, we were doomed.  We haven't seen or heard veracity hailing from the Code of Journalistic Integrity since.  That all begin technically when the Internet began to slope humanity.  But now?  There so much deception that ( ironically ..) it is like a virus that fools the immune system such that the immune system can't see through the mimicry. 

The target audience, 7.5 billion 'photo-electrically addicted cattle' of the world, most probably don't even knows what that code is any more. But Journalism Ethics and Standards was supposed to ensure no bias, hence, trusted information. I even catch NPR 'spinning' ... but CNN and FOX are just unreadable. Here's the scary part: more than 50% of the biomass that takes in their "designs on reality", believe it out of device box. They are like little birdbrains sitting in a nest with their beaks open pointing at the sky at all times, waiting for CNN and FOX news to swoop in and drop another "kernel worm" of bird food information.  (Gee, how do you really feel lol)

It's not all that hopeless. I mean, though there is a lot of distrust, that's really a sign that objectivity must exist out there in more and less measure. When was the last time anyone's "trusted" shit?  In fact, 'social trust' is a key detrimental factor that is tearing at civility; we live in a very schismatic time... with fringe ideologies using the web to formulate these cultural islets - and that's whole 'nother digression at sociological scales that starts in the imagination and end in anarchy. 

We need consequences for bad decisions.  Modern convenience ... wipes the ass of bad decisions - ultimately, enables people's break from consensus norms that always were based in common sense, if not instincts, ...certainly heritage method and culture of ways and means that actually worked toward proactive survival. All that is missing in the butt-wipe convenience of modernity, that affords people the ability for "recreational outrage," ...and these media sources want you outraged, ... so you keep glued in.  

Turning the Pandemic's interminable ability for fear and infinitum of ways in which a prone civility can be jolted into a profit cow, HA!  - it really all came along at the perfect time in history.  ...  decades of wicking the system to the point of near mass delusion, and most per capita addicted, then the Pandemic happens ... Oh, its real!   I am meandering a little in my point here, but this is what drives paranoid conspiracy theorists into orbit ...where is that profit going? 

We probably really just went through the greatest transfer of wealth from one sector of western economics to another, in history.  And those that received it ... they really should give it all back- or they are greedy with no redeeming value at all.  0. And though there isn't a hard conspiracy ... it's like the Bobby Axelrod affect - you really wanna keep that in entertainment and not have those types really pulling the levers of society.

There'll probably be a bit of as surge in vax counts.. post ~ April 15 at a national scale.

I think I've read or heard chirps that states overall are opening up to the main bell curve mass of population  - or the remainder after the vulnerable ( comorbs) and AARP+ age groups have had their chance to get poked. 

But ... there's some recent idea whether a lot in the 16 to 55 age range will even opt to get the vaccine? 

The news media machine et al could be manufacturing a 'crisis there, that isn't as significant though ... again ..and again, and again and again ...because they need lies to maintain operating cost and pad the sociopathic wallots of their Industrial captains.. But, somewhere in their 'social engineering' tactics there are kernels of truth ...  We just don't know if there's really that many %, in theatage range, that are going to hide from immunization of this .. ?

I bet we see a surge in vax counts though.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ah interesting. I mean the schools sound like some around here, but most of what you stated doesn't seem all that much different to be honest.  If you don't go to church or have kids in school... your life is probably pretty similar. I followed most folks' advice from way back and don't watch MSM... just put a mask on inside, and go about life. 

It definitely seems like something where the more one dwells on COVID and thinks about it, the more space it takes up in one's life.  I guess there are stressors on both sides of the aisle... from folks worried about COVID, to the folks worried about the worrying over COVID.  Can't control how others think and feel, but I do agree with you that going from NNE chill to suburbia high-strung energy must be a shock.  No more kumbaya listening to live music on a June-like Friday evening.

My business and one of our customers has already been sued over "COVID protocols," and other businesses are dealing with the same exact issue. Many lawsuits are working through the system with new and untested COVID-related statutes on the books in cities and states.

So whether I want to "dwell" on it or not, I have to think about it very realistically at a large scale on a regular basis, probably more than just about anyone else here, assuming most here can just worry about themselves, or maybe their immediate family.

Trust me, I wish I could just hang out at the mountain all day drinking session IPAs and strumming a guitar. LOL

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I think those of us with milder symptoms have crappier immune responses..lol.

Maybe - I've read this from people who ought to know.  However, I've never knowingly had the flu - vaccinated or not - and have infrequent mild colds, also very rarely get infections from the frequent scrapes and cuts inherent with bushwhacking thru the Maine woods and playing in the firewood pile.  My Moderna symptoms were all but non-existent (#1) and some arm soreness plus a bit of fatigue the day after #2, which I'd describe as mild.

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Maybe - I've read this from people who ought to know.  However, I've never knowingly had the flu - vaccinated or not - and have infrequent mild colds, also very rarely get infections from the frequent scrapes and cuts inherent with bushwhacking thru the Maine woods and playing in the firewood pile.  My Moderna symptoms were all but non-existent (#1) and some arm soreness plus a bit of fatigue the day after #2, which I'd describe as mild.

Yeah who knows?   I have a friend who so far (10 years) has beat stomach cancer.  He’s 80 and was sick for 2 days after Moderna shot #2.   Women react more than men I think at least that’s most people’s observation.

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah who knows?   I have a friend who so far (10 years) has beat stomach cancer.  He’s 80 and was sick for 2 days after Moderna shot #2.   Women react more than men I think at least that’s most people’s observation.

Anecdotal reports must always be approached with caution. I'm sure you dealt with that a lot as a medical professional. Something like an anxiety disorder, for example, can mimic the effects of a real issue such as COVID or a pending heart attack: fatigue, feeling flushed/warm, chest tightness, chest pain, rapid heart rate, aches, and perceived difficulty breathing.

More time will be needed to get a better idea of how many of these vaccine reaction stories are dealing with issues like the above, where someone was so concerned about the vaccine side effects and COVID in general that they were hyper-attuned to every little issue as being related to the vaccine somehow. Obviously, some people have had major, clear reactions to the vaccine, but that is rare.

I think this actually explains a decent number of the "weird" symptoms for COVID and the vaccine that are routinely repeated by the media. They are not actually related to the vaccine or the virus at all, but people made that connection in their minds, and then others who read or hear about it then make the connection for their own symptoms.

And this may be another of my unpopular opinions, but I am little suspicious of the long-haul symptom talk right now. We need more time and diligence to study that before making a ruling. At one time in the very recent past, for example, experts were sure that asymptomatic carriers were silently spreading COVID all over the place, but recent research is starting to show that isn't the case, making COVID more like basically every other respiratory virus we know about. Those with symptoms are by far the biggest spreaders.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Anecdotal reports must always be approached with caution. I'm sure you dealt with that a lot as a medical professional. Something like an anxiety disorder, for example, can mimic the effects of a real issue such as COVID or a pending heart attack: fatigue, feeling flushed/warm, chest tightness, chest pain, rapid heart rate, aches, and perceived difficulty breathing.

More time will be needed to get a better idea of how many of these vaccine reaction stories are dealing with issues like the above, where someone was so concerned about the vaccine side effects and COVID in general that they were hyper-attuned to every little issue as being related to the vaccine somehow. Obviously, some people have had major, clear reactions to the vaccine, but that is rare.

I think this actually explains a decent number of the "weird" symptoms for COVID and the vaccine that are routinely repeated by the media. They are not actually related to the vaccine or the virus at all, but people made that connection in their minds, and then others who read or hear about it then make the connection for their own symptoms.

And this my another of my unpopular opinions, but I am little suspicious of the long-haul symptom talk right now. We need more time and diligence to study that before making a ruling. At one time in the very recent past, for example, experts were sure that asymptomatic carriers were silently spreading COVID all over the place, but recent research is starting to show that isn't the case, making COVID more like basically every other respiratory virus we know about. Those with symptoms are by far the biggest spreaders.

Of course!   But certain trends should be studied further.   The question is do the results make a difference?  If women actually are more susceptible to a reaction but all recover in a day or 2 what is added other than knowing what we already suspected?   There are a ton of unknowns.  Why do some young people not react at all?   Why do some high risk old people have strong reactions?   How much is psychosomatic?

20 hours ago, PhineasC said:

You sound very typical to me. Deal with guys like you all the time.

I hope you are a very technical high-performer. If so, you are absolutely staying in-character as expected and your boss is perfectly happy with you and understands you. Most top engineers and technicians think exactly like you. Good bosses are used to this and it is not a problem. That's basically 80% of my staff.

If not, I would suggest looking over your shoulder. Your job isn't secure if that is the attitude you bring to the table in basically any non-technical field, or if you are in a technical field and just a so-so performer.

yes, I am.  but I would argue that a flexible work environment and being able to WFH is what enables me to be a high performer.  the office is a terrible place for getting actual work done, man.

my guess is you're an older gen-Xer or a boomer.  they perceive people who WFH as anti-social or lazy.  i'm fully aware that, in a hybrid environment, people are going  to discriminate in favor of people who they see in the office more.  that's not going to change until these older generations retire from management.  thats why i encourage people to periodically go into the office, because they have to manage perceptions and optics.  they have to manage their manager, basically.  

2 hours ago, fujiwara79 said:

yes, I am.  but I would argue that a flexible work environment and being able to WFH is what enables me to be a high performer.  the office is a terrible place for getting actual work done, man.

my guess is you're an older gen-Xer or a boomer.  they perceive people who WFH as anti-social or lazy.  i'm fully aware that, in a hybrid environment, people are going  to discriminate in favor of people who they see in the office more.  that's not going to change until these older generations retire from management.  thats why i encourage people to periodically go into the office, because they have to manage perceptions and optics.  they have to manage their manager, basically.  

I haven't been into an office since 2005, I miss mingling with my coworkers and going out for a bite and a beer but I get much more done WFH. I'm in contact with the people I work with almost daily and we'll still go out and meet for lunch periodically.

15 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Psychosomatic symptoms occur obviously, but I also think there is a rush to explain away symptoms that are hard to understand and put them into a box by labeling them this way. This occurs with chronic pain patients who have complex ailments/injuries that go years trying to find answers. Typically the answer in these cases are they are not pyschosomatic, which brings a great deal of frustration to the patient.

I suspect the immune reponse has a lot to do with the stronger side effects being noted with patients that are on their second dose or previously had COVID. I find some of the recent stories regarding altering of women’s menstrual cycles after the vaccine interesting, is this brought on by stress, the nanoparticles in the vaccine or the known side effects of the shots including fever in some cases. It is certainly worth studying the impacts and assume they do matter at this stage, both short and long term. This is true of both the virus and the vaccines.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/22374523/covid-vaccine-period-heavy-survey

I don’t see that.  mRNA is an established methodology.   It makes total sense that the 2nd shot should result in a stronger reaction-the trials showed that.  It doesn’t seem that there are reactions that would be unexpected TBH.   But there is a subset of the population that reacts to everything including placebos.  

We also have routine patients that present with symptoms with no physical basis.   Sometimes evaluating the gain in the game or the real mental conditions driving the behavior is revealing.  The old word was malingering.

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

I haven’t even had a cold in years. Zero reaction 

8 minutes ago, White Rain said:

This is my personal experience with regards to chronic health issues, which I realize is a different context then a vaccine but it is very prevelant in that arena so to speak. In my experience it took multiple poor diagnosis and self advocacy to get to the bottom of it. When doctors do not believe you and you have hard to explain symptoms with no easily discoverable physical basis. This increases mental anquish so it is easy to misdiagnose.  I think women are treated this way more frequently as they can be labeled as overly emotional. I acknowledge there is a placebo effect, but there are also many cases where people have unexplained symptoms that can actually be attributed to a real cause. They are misdiagnosed because the doctors don’t have answers and the patient may be seen as suffering mentally as well. I personally believe the mental diagnosis is over used to explain away the symptoms.

I’m sorry you experienced that.  In my fairly narrow world, certain signs have 2 possible origins-disease that is missed or unexplained.  It’s easier not to miss disease with the amount of high tech available but at the same time tons of providers don’t even want to consider the fact that they’re wrong.  That is unacceptable to me. In my years being an older provider with tons of experience, I questioned myself much more than I did decades ago.  Like everything else, youth is wasted on the young.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Yes

probably why your side effects are so strong after the first dose. You should talk to your doctor about the second shot. When I was reading about side effects/symptoms it's entirely possible for your doctor to recommend not getting the second dose if you've had COVID and had a strong response to the first dose.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Yes

that's why your 1st shot is rough.   People that have had COVID tend to see stronger side effects on the 1st shot while people that have not had it have stronger side effects on the 2nd dose.  Seems the 2nd time your body sees it you get the worst effects

• Like 1

The anecdotal evidence I’ve seen with the vaccines are that those with underlying conditions or are generally susceptible to being sick have tougher reactions. My dad is 83 and is in great health. Never gets sick. Had almost no reaction to both doses. Same with my father in law. My dads brother has rheumatoid arthritis and was down for 4 days. My mother is 84 and has lupus. She was down 5 days.  Other anecdotes seem close to the same idea. And my mother had tough reaction to the shingles vaccine. My dad had no issue.