• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

You'd have to be really ignorant of history to think giving the Federal govt all this power means they will never use it again once the current "crisis" has passed. LOL

Whenever people tell me it'll all be back to normal once we have enough "jabs in arms" I ask them if they still have to take off their shoes at the airport 20+ years later. That always makes them stop in their tracks.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Brazil. They had like 4200+ deaths the other day. Worse than any US day with 2/3 the population 

ughhh that's horrific. The strain that has developed there is no joke. Might be the scariest one of them all. I mean look at the Canucks...top fit athletes very young and some are in not very good condition.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

ughhh that's horrific. The strain that has developed there is no joke. Might be the scariest one of them all. I mean look at the Canucks...top fit athletes very young and some are in not very good condition.

I honestly had not heard about that outbreak.  They should be fine considering age and fitness.  Who is in rough shape?  

It took E Rodriguez on the Sox 9+ months to recover 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Worldwide this has killed about 2.9 million people.  
Third worst since the Black Plague in the 1300s (including HIV/AIDS which was over a longer period of time).    
Still a pretty big deal.  Many(not all) of the precautions etc were warranted. 

The prior flu epidemics ravaged healthy young people, though. This disease is by far most deadly for sedentary, elderly, obese, sick people, of which the industrialized world has an abundance. That's why it seemed to make no sense to quarantine the young, healthy workers and kids we need to keep the economy going and protect our future society. Locking them up gained the sick old people very little in the way of add'l safety IMO but wrecked millions of lives. The number one thing we did to reduce deaths was to protect the nursing homes, followed by better treatments and stopping the obsession with venting everyone. Obviously, vaccines have taken over the lead in the fight now.

I do think we need to look really hard at the impacts of lockdowns so we don't make the same mistakes. To be honest, it is very easy to make the same argument to lockdown over a bad flu that we made for COVID.

As for the numbers, it clearly was very bad, but I am waiting for the studies that come out in 3-5 years after the hysteria has passed and more analysis of actual causes of death can be done. We labeled a lot of people who had heart attacks after testing positive as "COVID deaths." The CDC has not denied this. This may be offset by the likely hundreds of thousands of deaths in places like China that have not been reported.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You'd have to be really ignorant of history to think giving the Federal govt all this power means they will never use it again once the current "crisis" has passed. LOL

Whenever people tell me it'll all be back to normal once we have enough "jabs in arms" I ask them if they still have to take off their shoes at the airport 20+ years later. That always makes them stop in their tracks.

I would say comparing it to airline terrorism protocols isn’t a good argument. One is an act of nature, one is human behavior.  A closer model maybe is having states do travel restrictions during severe winter weather...a govt response to a natural phenomenon.   But yeah...once the genie is out of the bottle, hard to put it back in

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

This! This is a fantastic point and something not talked about often. But that is a huge problem. Some of these tests out there are extremely sensitive and result in false positives. A month or two ago, I was listening to a doctor on the radio (or maybe it was something I read from a doctor), but they were explaining that some of these tests are so sensitive they are returning false positives. Something to the idea that even if they hint at a trace of the virus it comes back positive...which can be very misleading. 

There is a difference between having traces of virus in you and having levels high enough to exhibit symptoms and be able to spread. Our bodies are constantly being attacked by viruses daily...I'm sure if we got tested daily for something the majority of us would test positive for something. 

But this goes to say...how many of these daily cases are actually anything? Let's look at sports for example...outside of the Vancouver Canucks situation (which they are the culprit of the Brazilian variant) look how many athletes have tested positive and never exhibited symptoms (now that's not to say they can't spread it) or it turned out they were false positives. Now thing of the population size of athletes vs. the entire country. 

This is certainly key...and with this...it is a little on the concerning side to see hospitalizations continue to increase across many states...even serious/critical conditions numbers have risen. Hell, even here in Connecticut, we have seen a daily increase just about every day over the past 3-weeks...maybe 2 or 3 days where the number dropped. 

Whittinsville has spoke about it a lot if you're referring to this sub.

Regarding Phin’s above post, I agree on just about all points.  It def was worse for older people (not always but % wise hugely). Hopefully lessons learned regarding LTCs etc can help in the future. 

I was excited to pass out paper report cards to my students today!  The online ones sucked.  I then had to leave early because our furnace at home was busted.

• Like 1

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Regarding Phin’s above post, I agree on just about all points.  It def was worse for older people (not always but % wise hugely). Hopefully lessons learned regarding LTCs etc can help in the future. 

I was excited to pass out paper report cards to my students today!  The online ones sucked.  I then had to leave early because our furnace at home was busted.

Your school sounds pretty awesome just based on your posts here.

It gives me hope that even butthead districts like Fairfax County, VA and San Francisco will eventually come around and do what is right for kids. 

Regarding people who had had covid getting vaccinated-it is increasingly clear that doing that confers “super immunity” based an ab tests.   Also, there is anecdotal evidence that long haulers that are with difficult symptoms get relief from vaccination.   Time will tell

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Your school sounds pretty awesome just based on your posts here.

It gives me hope that even butthead districts like Fairfax County, VA and San Francisco will eventually come around and do what is right for kids. 

There is still plenty of suckage in my school. “Specials” were ravaged by budget cuts as well as having teachers teaching multiple subjects they know nothing about due to cuts (I’m teaching a block of ancient civilizations...wheee!). There are some technology issues and logistical problems (we are still not sure how to do lunches when we have all of the kids back due to CDC guidelines and space). 
But the kids have been awesome. 
Where my wife works it has been pretty close to normal for months (masks are the biggest difference, as well as group work). 

The pace that things are bouncing back overall in society has me optimistic. Good luck finding a vacation rental on Cape Cod this summer

16 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I honestly had not heard about that outbreak.  They should be fine considering age and fitness.  Who is in rough shape?  

It took E Rodriguez on the Sox 9+ months to recover 

Over 20 players and coaches have tested positive with several ending up in the hospital. Several players family members very sick too. I don't think the Canucks have played a game in like 3-weeks now. The NHL is hoping the Canucks can return this upcoming Thursday but it's kinda more hope. There is a chance they may not be able to finish out the rest of their season.

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Whittinsville has spoke about it a lot if you're referring to this sub.

Moreso news but yes he has!

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Michigan is bad too.

Really the driver in daily cases across the country and IIRC they are one of the states struggling with vaccine rollout.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Regarding people who had had covid getting vaccinated-it is increasingly clear that doing that confers “super immunity” based an ab tests.   Also, there is anecdotal evidence that long haulers that are with difficult symptoms get relief from vaccination.   Time will tell

Yeah. I posted a story from NPR about the latter a few days back. That could be a great thing 

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah wtf is going on there?   Vaccinated people have gotten covid and apparently 3 died?

Hope we aren't already seeing the breakdown of vaccine efficacy due to variants.

This is a huge, very rapid vaccine rollout (surely fastest of all time?) so I think we are just seeing the kinds of little blips that happen with vaccines but are usually spread out over many years compressed into a couple months, so it seems like a lot of issues but not really.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We hope. 

My wife has had neurological issues (brain fog/buzzing, tingling/shaking, sleep issues, abnormal eeg) since last March. So far, dose 1 hasn't helped but maybe she'll get some improvement after the 2nd. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Even if the vaccine is 95% effective, that means it is 5% not effective. Some could still get it and a smaller number could croak.  

And they probably aren't even that effective in the real world across millions of people, especially if those people stop masking and distancing.

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah wtf is going on there?   Vaccinated people have gotten covid and apparently 3 died?

Surprising - were they fully vaccinated? I suppose it would be silly to think it would be 100% effective over millions in sample size. Could be additional factors that we don't know about as well. 

• Like 1

Pfizer is eyeing full FDA approval pretty soon.

The pair’s mRNA vaccine is 91.3% effective against symptomatic COVID-19 disease as measured in people who have been immunized with the second dose of the shot for up to six months, the companies said Thursday.

The new efficacy data, plus a safety analysis comprising data from more than 12,000 people who were fully immunized for at least six months, allow the companies to file a drug application with the FDA to turn the shot’s emergency use authorization into a full approval, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla, Ph.D., said in a statement.

The efficacy level is slightly down from the 95% number the vaccine first posted in the trial. With those data, Pfizer secured an FDA emergency use authorization in December. Since that initial analysis, more COVID-19 cases have accrued, increasing to 927 as of March 13 from the previous 170.

Of the total cases, investigators recorded 850 in the placebo group compared with 77 in the vaccine cohort. Thirty-two severe COVID-19 cases were recorded, all in the placebo group, translating into a 100% efficacy against severe disease for the vaccine.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/pfizer-biontech-eye-official-covid-19-vaccine-nod-as-efficacy-stands-strong-including

3 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

We hope. 

My wife has had neurological issues (brain fog/buzzing, tingling/shaking, sleep issues, abnormal eeg) since last March. So far, dose 1 hasn't helped but maybe she'll get some improvement after the 2nd. 

I hope for her sake that happens!

• Thanks 1