Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Skilled trades are the thing to be in right now for sure. After years of ostracizing carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc in the 1980s/1990s and telling all the kids back then that they needed to go to college, there is a definite supply shortage of these types of workers and a high demand for them. Especially in a higher educated regions like the greater Boston market or other northeast cities. 

My wife’s younger half-brother lives outside of Philly and he dropped out of high school at 16...then got his now-wife pregnant when he was 18, but went and got his GED and went to trade school to be an electrician. He is now about 25 and makes 6 figures easy. It’s pretty amazing. 

My son in law was an apprentice 8 years ago. Now owns his own Plumbing Hvac company as a master plumber. Easily has multi million dollars in accounts and employs 5 . My daughter started an online business which has now included a brick and mortar. Her business is in the half million dollar range and growing in leaps and bounds. She employs 3 people.  They both have no college experience.  Hard work and persistence pay off. I have many friends in the trades including my neighbors who own Electrician companies and a massive landscaping service.  All non college educated. Again its the work you put in and the sacrifices you make. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

And for those refusing to get the vax (which is fine. I get it) I hope you realize that those of us who are getting vaccinated are helping to end this. 

You’re welcome. 

This is what concerns me, the "free rider" effect - those not getting stuck will benefit from those getting stuck as all our lives move towards something resembling normal with herd immunity. It may not be a big deal now because i think there is sufficient interest to get the vaccine to get past this phase and open up fully , but if the threat persists (likely?) I think people will be reluctant to get stuck a 2nd, 3rd (n times -think flu shots), so we loose herd immunity and risk more government and business restrictions. Some may conclude there needs  to be a stick (or carrot) for people to get boosters as needed - the vaccine passport? or maybe something more elegant - UBI?. You can argue the government or businesses are wrong to apply more restrictions, but its the world we live in, not the one we want to live in. I mean no one wants to pay taxes, but we "accept" it to fund public goods i.e. those products that people wouldn't pay for on their own unless required to - this is the "free rider" theory as explained in economic theory. I view the vaccine process as analogous in some ways.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think people are bragging that they got their shots but I don’t think many are ostracizing anybody who doesn’t. 
your body your choice!

Exactly except there is this lingering thoughts in our Govt about vaccine passports. Problem I have is all the vaccines are not approved and only EUA. That is a problem with many. 2nd day Moderna 2nd shot for me and so far so good.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I mean, it doesn’t get more millennial than me, I just turned 27.

Ive ended up in blue collar work (nothing wrong with that), and acquired licenses and certifications that make me a decent wage. The problem is, is I’ve pretty much maxed out, and this isn’t whT I want to be doing long term.

I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice. I’ve applied to hundreds of CJ type jobs since graduating in 2016... and received a handful of interviews. It is absolutely impossible to break into the field. I had to pivot to what I’m doing now.

Im aware that my long term prospects in what I’m doing now probably aren’t great, but it’s been like banging my head against the wall even trying to get a foot in the door to what I really want to do.

Like @RUNNAWAYICEBERG said. Keep grinding away. My older brother was in a similar spot.  Similar type job that paid a decent wage, but he maxed out.  He didn’t want to be there long term. So, with two young kids and a wife working full time, he finished his degree at night. He graduated in December, started applying for long term substitute positions. He just passed all of his MTELs, and will likely be offered a full time teaching position in the fall. He loves it. He’s 34 and just is getting to where he wants to be. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Fake? Say wut

What they’ve come out with in a few short months as you mentioned is not a vaccine in the true sense. There’s a reason why it’s not EUA approved. The long term side effects are greatly unknown . For example Teenage girls .. how will it affect reproduction later in life? Many questions. 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What they’ve come out with in a few short months as you mentioned is not a vaccine in the true sense. There’s a reason why it’s not EUA approved. The long term side effects are greatly unknown . For example Teenage girls .. how will it affect reproduction later in life? Many questions. 

It’s literally no different than the potential long term side effects of covid. I find it kind of bizarre that people are petrified of the potential long term effects of the vaccine, but not of actually having COVID.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s literally no different than the potential long term side effects of covid. I find it kind of bizarre that people are petrified of the potential long term effects of the vaccine, but not of actually having COVID.

I mean lolololol . Come on man. Young people and Covid vs young people and unknowns from a vaccine? 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I believe people like @WhitinsvilleWX who have worked in immunology their whole live that the vaccine doesn't have any effect on DNA but rather teaches our immune system to recognize Covid cells and attack them. Knowing biology and how cells work, I have no fears about this vaccine. The scare tactics people use are not based in science. If you could link one proven science paper that changes my thought I would deeply appreciate it. Otherwise its just conjecture and conspiracy theory 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I mean lolololol . Come on man. Young people and Covid vs young people and unknowns from a vaccine? 

I spent 2 days in a Covid ward. What I saw with young people your age and below would scare you. Seemingly very healthy people near death. Yea the odds are low but not zero. You can take your chances but I wouldn't recommend it.

a good friend of my family, guy around 50 years old spent 65 days in the hospital, a majority of which was in ICU, with covid. he was on a ventilator for over a month. i don't know how many times doctors told his wife that he wasn't going to make it through the night. Dozens of times. he had no other underlying health issues. who knows what the long term impacts will be on his heart and lungs, but it can't be good. 

Personally there is no way on this earth that I would risk being in that position. yes, I am firmly on the vaccine train. the mRNA technology has been around for 20+ years, and yes it has been tested. there is some real good info in this article for those who care to read about the facts. 

Edit: to find this article, did a google search for "how long has mRNA technology been around". it was the very first article. If people are interested in learning about stuff like this, the info is out there. you just have to actually read it.

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s everyone’s individual decision, but let’s not pretend vaccine is a lot more scary than having COVID.

Having had covid and now the vaccine, I’m a lot more concerned with the long term effects covid could have on my heart and lungs than a vaccine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Long term effects from a mild case of covid are pretty high actually. somewhere around the 15% range. 

Just get the shot. They would not be distributing this on the mass scale if they were anywhere close to worried about the vaccines' long term effects. 

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I spent 2 days in a Covid ward. What I saw with young people your age and below would scare you. Seemingly very healthy people near death. Yea the odds are low but not zero. You can take your chances but I wouldn't recommend it.

I mean more kids and teens and twenties though. I know people my age that got sick 

2 hours ago, S&P said:

This is what concerns me, the "free rider" effect - those not getting stuck will benefit from those getting stuck as all our lives move towards something resembling normal with herd immunity. It may not be a big deal now because i think there is sufficient interest to get the vaccine to get past this phase and open up fully , but if the threat persists (likely?) I think people will be reluctant to get stuck a 2nd, 3rd (n times -think flu shots), so we loose herd immunity and risk more government and business restrictions. Some may conclude there needs  to be a stick (or carrot) for people to get boosters as needed - the vaccine passport? or maybe something more elegant - UBI?. You can argue the government or businesses are wrong to apply more restrictions, but its the world we live in, not the one we want to live in. I mean no one wants to pay taxes, but we "accept" it to fund public goods i.e. those products that people wouldn't pay for on their own unless required to - this is the "free rider" theory as explained in economic theory. I view the vaccine process as analogous in some ways.

My comment was mostly tongue in cheek but I see your point

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Exactly. Herd immunity ultimately ends this. Not a “fake” vaccine. As I always say.. to each their own

herd immunity through infection would take forever at this rate...we're a year in-without vaccines this would take 2-3 years easily unless there were no mitigation protocols....who wants to live like this for that long?  Not me.  My kids have learning close to nothing in school in a year  

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

the vaxx was initially developed back in 2003 with the SARS outbreak then, but that never spread widely so there wasn't a market for it-so it's not exactly "new"

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

the same people that think COVID is no big deal despite 600,000 deaths in a year in this country alone are petrified a 2 oz vial of vaccine will harm them, the irony is kind of funny....

What a sick  story this morning of Former NFl player Phillip Adams. Executing  two children (among the 5 dead /including himself) > I would never comprehend the mental anguish a man goes thru that decided to put a bullet in his own brain. in addition he killed his Dr. and Dr.'s Wife .... but to execute two children is ...

• Sad 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

What a sick  story this morning of Former NFl player Phillip Adams. Executing  two children (among the 5 dead /including himself) > I would never comprehend the mental anguish a man goes thru that decided to kill a Dr. and his Wife (former NFL player Phillip Adams but to execute two children is .....

Sad.  The mass shootings in this country are unreal.   Just goes on and on.....

Just now, Brian5671 said:

Sad.  The mass shootings in this country are unreal.   Just goes on and on.....

I would guess the shootings are sort of a manifestation of many things.  Including a rise in mental health problems. I just can't imagine why someone would kill a innocent child. Sad indeed.

29 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I would guess the shootings are sort of a manifestation of many things.  Including a rise in mental health problems. I just can't imagine why someone would kill a innocent child. Sad indeed.

The final victim should have been the only victim. An asshole with severe mental problems (CTE), nothing else. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Strangely there are multiple definitions for what constitutes a mass shooting, but regardless of what criteria is used to define one, they make up a minute percentage of overall homicides and an even a smaller percentage when taking into account suicides/accidental deaths. They receive the overwhelming amount of press publicity which makes them appear to be a higher percentage than they are. Im not sure there is a good way to prevent them short of removing all guns from the country, which isn’t realistic. I doubt new laws would have any impact. Sad to hear about though.

The term "mass shooting" is only used in certain contexts when it is politically expedient to do so. Plenty of large scale shootings are not called a "mass shooting," for instance most gang shootouts in urban areas.

• Weenie 1

31 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

What a sick  story this morning of Former NFl player Phillip Adams. Executing  two children (among the 5 dead /including himself) > I would never comprehend the mental anguish a man goes thru that decided to put a bullet in his own brain. in addition he killed his Dr. and Dr.'s Wife .... but to execute two children is ...

CTE probably