Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yup... that is possible as well.  See my post to Jeff.  I get it... you won't be getting the shot, your kids won't.  I understand that.   

We will get shots later when the second gen of vaccines emerges and is under full use authorization. We get flu vaccines every year. Definitely not anti-Vax here. 

• Like 3

Just now, PhineasC said:

We will get shots later when the second gen of vaccines emerges and is under full use authorization. We get flu vaccines every year. Definitely not anti-Vax here. 

Ah... gotcha... do you think there will be a second gen?  I don't know how those work...      

I need to get the shingles one.  My primary care doc hasn't ever mentioned it and I keep forgetting to ask him.  I'm in my 50s...

People have told me that one sucks, but having had close family that got shingles...nasty

16 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Israel is hitting it out of the park. We're past the reliance on efficacy data. The caveat to Israel is I believe they have little to no variants there, but recent data indicates vaccines are effective, but to a somewhat lesser degree against variants, so maybe it doesn't matter in Israel or in the US. Time will tell

From wat I've kept up with, both Pfizer and Moderna are pretty effective against most of the wider spread variants. Israel is a small country and was able to handle the logistics better. They also targeted vaccinations by age (mostly) instead of the hodge podge identity group we've used. 

Over half the new cases in Massachusetts are in the under 30 crowd. Once they start getting vaccinated, the numbers will start to drop like a rock. 

Bigger picture is that these mRNA vaccines look to be really effective. If they are as effective (and safe) against other infectious diseases, this will advance the science of vaccines light years. This is basically a plug and play technology. Future trials may be able to be run as fast. And taken out of pandemic mode, a safe and efficacious vaccine can be done in <2 years with good follow up data for durability. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya, that is the truly funny thing. The process of determining how the experts have done is a farce. It's done in a vacuum. So it's incomplete to be polite and very ignorant. People like to make decisions than look for reasons to support what they did or believe. They don't want the mental anguish of questioning themselves. The media has insured People form opinions while only seeing one side of a story (deaths that maybe possibly were saved from Covid lock downs) there is no formal number to look up because many epidemiologists know this is NOT how you would operate by quarantining 100% of a population when 1% is sick, there is no real data to compare. Masks, hand washing , etc can all slow the spread of something very contagious and lower the trajectory. 

Its a media induced fear cycle combined with political folks and health experts realizing they can do anything in the name of safety bc nobody is going to blame them for unemployment deaths, obesity inducted deaths, stress induced deaths, depression deaths.  Nope ...so the path to (over)-react for safety was paved and a easy one to choose if you are a health official or politician.  

People have been getting spoon fed facts by "select" experts who ....have convinced the public to say  if they save 10,000 covid lives (that wouldn't not have other wise been saved ) from lockdowns that they did a good job and it was worth it. There has been a black out on the costs in mental health, depression , anxiety and lives lost form non elective surgeries not getting done, Deaths from increased suicide .  Forced bankruptcy's of businesses in the hundreds of thousands (read that again FORCED bankruptcies of successful) business. It was calculated that for every 1% rise in unemployment there are 40,000 additional deaths.  People have a very ignorant view of determining if the experts are right .   The experts are very intelligent.and usually politically savvy  (but operate in a vaccuum) . What i mean by operate in a vacuum is  they have ZERO  job accountability for the side effects'/deaths  from  unmeployment rate, ,depression increase, suicide increases, drug OD increases, general depression among isolated elderly and youth.  It's amazing how all those things which have been magnified by lock downs are swept under the rug when weighing how the experts did. 

The Experts let a second and third wave of Deaths hit the nursing homes after it was apparent that was where 40% of ALL the covid deaths were occuring.  In that small 1.5% of the population ...40% of Covid deaths occurred.  How did the health experts do....saving people in nursing homes after it was apparent and the hysteria of the first wave was complete and we had actual data (not feelings) to go on.   They failed Miserable there. 

I will be getting a shot shortly and this was a very contagious virus and I’m not saying making decisions to minimize the total impact it would have were anything but difficult. 

Just the mere fact that you stated  this in an open forum will have you shunned by many at their fear mongering dinner table.  The vacuum analogy is a good one, and something that I think many people who are absorbing hourly mainstream news media reports have or would have a hard time digesting. 

I think it's very irresponsible for the director of the CDC to throw phrases like, "impending doom" out there, carelessly to millions of people who are looking for legit facts and discussion.  We are only human, and there are contingents of people who take snippets like this and run with them, forcing additional fear and anxiety to brew within their psyche.   There is no place for this kind of hyperbole fueled statement. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

From wat I've kept up with, both Pfizer and Moderna are pretty effective against most of the wider spread variants. Israel is a small country and was able to handle the logistics better. They also targeted vaccinations by age (mostly) instead of the hodge podge identity group we've used. 

Over half the new cases in Massachusetts are in the under 30 crowd. Once they start getting vaccinated, the numbers will start to drop like a rock. 

Bigger picture is that these mRNA vaccines look to be really effective. If they are as effective (and safe) against other infectious diseases, this will advance the science of vaccines light years. This is basically a plug and play technology. Future trials may be able to be run as fast. And taken out of pandemic mode, a safe and efficacious vaccine can be done in <2 years with good follow up data for durability. 

I agree that big picture is the success apparent with mRNA.  As to the bolded, isn't that how this vaccine was developed?  Plug and play from one that had been in the process for SARS? 

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Yarmouth clam festival, in July and lobster festival now cancelled. With where we'll be with vaccinations, I'm sure it's out of an abundance of caution emoji849.png

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

it'll end up being 18 months to 2 yrs of event cancellations....amazing....

40 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I spoke too soon on Pfizer #2. I was wiped yesterday. Headache, face hurt. Just weird. I fell asleep last night at 8:30 on the couch. Fine today. It was like day +4 after the shot for me. 

Good morning DRWx, I got the P2 shot noon yesterday with no effect. After 19 hours it kicked in with all you’ve described plus mild nausea and aches in an instant. I went horizontal for two hours took some over the counter pain pills and am back to normal with the effects fading. I guess we know it’s working. Stay well, as always ....

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I agree that big picture is the success apparent with mRNA.  As to the bolded, isn't that how this vaccine was developed?  Plug and play from one that had been in the process for SARS? 

yes and no.. The plug and play aspect was from the J&J adenovirus scaffold. That was developed from work on SARS1, MERS, and Ebola. 

The mRNA technology is even more plug and play. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

yes and no.. The plug and play aspect was from the J&J adenovirus scaffold. That was developed from work on SARS1, MERS, and Ebola. 

The mRNA technology is even more plug and play. 

Regardless of politics, people should be celebrating this amazing display of human collaboration in science. It's amazing what we can do when we put our smarts and resources together. I wish this were true for other sectors of humanity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning DRWx, I got the P2 shot noon yesterday with no effect. After 19 hours it kicked in with all you’ve described plus mild nausea and aches in an instant. I went horizontal for two hours took some over the counter pain pills and am back to normal with the effects fading. I guess we know it’s working. Stay well, as always ....

I think they will find that the relatively high number of side effects are due to the mRNA dose being too high. Future studies should look at lower doses. I recall some of the efficacy trial designs looked at this, but 100ug of actual mRNA is quite a lot. I doubt it's the carrier liposome in the case of PFZ or Moderna causing the issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s pretty disheartening to see all this summer stuff being postponed or canceled.

That seems to be a massive overreaction and pessimistic view of where we will be in a few months 

It is definately a gamble for some... I think some of these events could occur.  Especially the outdoors stuff even if reduced in capacity

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s pretty disheartening to see all this summer stuff being postponed or canceled.

That seems to be a massive overreaction and pessimistic view of where we will be in a few months 

the problem is you have to start outlaying $$$ now for setup costs.  And right now there's no way to tell what June or July will look like    So some of it comes down to that....

19 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

the problem is you have to start outlaying $$$ now for setup costs.  And right now there's no way to tell what June or July will look like    So some of it comes down to that....

Yep, if you are someone who might be planning a big event in the summer and need to pony up $$ up front, why would you just assume that there might not be some sort of restriction implemented at any time in the summer? I wouldn't assume that. Based on the trajectory we are on, we should be totally fine by summer, but you never know. You get a little uptick and all of the sudden you see politicians changing the rules on you with little to no warning. Safer to just postpone it until things look more certain.

The plus side is that assuming numbers are absolutely cratered by late May/June as we approach herd immunity, you'll probably see a good market for any summer events given the lower competition...so entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to profit on that excess demand. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Regardless of politics, people should be celebrating this amazing display of human collaboration in science. It's amazing what we can do when we put our smarts and resources together. I wish this were true for other sectors of humanity. 

Completely agree with this sentiment.

I wanna add... probably one not fully conceptualized/realized...perhaps until a generation or two can look back upon this era ... less addled by the weeds of it all.  It really should be considered a real watershed moment in our evolution - but not so much "biological," in that sense, but more of a behavioral one? 

Which could have some biological footing, too ...fascinating scientific question therein, and a long digression...

Sparing that ( lol ), I recall discussion in the early months of this ... 15 months ago, how that life-cycle of recognition ..to shared information ..to global mobilization around the common verdict ..to subsequent course of action ... this is the first time that all recognized geodesic realms collaterally agreed upon a motivation and action, 

....that did not result in war....  

in history.

That's a first - it means something..or should for f sake.

Think about that ( not you per se, but the royal 'you') ... The last time the ~ entire world agreed upon any common thematic sentiment, and then acted upon it, it was not to save lives, it was to quite the opposite:  WWII

Now...we could attempt to qualify: at no point spanning human history prior to WWI or WWII ( as a matter of tract and course) could that really have happened; the advantages of macro infrastructures to global response were (duh) obviously logistically unknowable. But that doesn't diminish the achievement in my mind. To your point - about collaboration paving pathways to successful destinies - it does suggest that if humanity dies away by some Fermiian Paradox scenario of the the evolutionary catch-22 destroying the evolution that got us there... we could have prevented it - maybe.

• Like 2

May be some of the first documented instances of fully vaccinated people being hospitalized in the United States?  Still, you greatly, greatly cut your odds of needing to be hospitalized if you get vaccinated.

Over 100 fully vaccinated people contract COVID-19 in Washington state, officials say

Most cases were patients who experienced only mild symptoms, if any, according to a press release from the Washington State Department ofHealth.

However, at least eight people with breakthrough cases have been hospitalized. The Washington State Department of Health is also investigating two potential breakthrough cases where the individuals died. Both patients were over 80 years old and suffered from underlying health issues.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/100-fully-vaccinated-people-contract-covid-19-washington/story?id=76784838

Just now, Hoosier said:

May be some of the first documented instances of fully vaccinated people being hospitalized in the United States?  Still, you greatly, greatly cut your odds of needing to be hospitalized if you get vaccinated.

Over 100 fully vaccinated people contract COVID-19 in Washington state, officials say

Most cases were patients who experienced only mild symptoms, if any, according to a press release from the Washington State Department ofHealth.

However, at least eight people with breakthrough cases have been hospitalized. The Washington State Department of Health is also investigating two potential breakthrough cases where the individuals died. Both patients were over 80 years old and suffered from underlying health issues.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/100-fully-vaccinated-people-contract-covid-19-washington/story?id=76784838

Right ... none of these vaccine so far are advertised and/or in fact 'are' 100% dependable -

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Ah... gotcha... do you think there will be a second gen?  I don't know how those work...      

I need to get the shingles one.  My primary care doc hasn't ever mentioned it and I keep forgetting to ask him.  I'm in my 50s...

People have told me that one sucks, but having had close family that got shingles...nasty

My wife just her second one last friday, she felt like she the flu for a day.

We ... or at least "I" find humor in those two posts... but sad fact of the matter is, they are funny cuz they are true -

I've said this countless times as the self-appointed cynical dystopian prophet ...( LOL ), that the day and moment Industrialized society et al, figured out how to turn mere thumb-swipe-on-phones, and mouse-clicks-on-PC interfaces, into money ... we were doomed alright.

But the damnation is to never hear nor see light of truth that is unadulterrated by gas-lit, knee-jerk incendiary tactical information attempts to keep the common user doing just that, glued to these codependent devices.

People have fallen into pot-holes on surveillance cameras doom-scrolling, while the tentacles of CNN's media web pass dollars for that person's captivated fear.

• Haha 1