Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Wow... OK. Are you good with stores discriminating on other health status items, such as flu vaccination or if they have a cold? What about criminal record? Financial status? Or just this one thing and nothing else? 

I would actually not mind if sick people would just stay out of stores in general. Poor behavior of individuals sometimes leads to a mommy state. 
Not having someone hacking and coughing next to me has been a blessing 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

You know you and i are on the same page, but we dont want it shut down again :)

Besides, i need to report my fever, chills, headache, and horn growth when i get my second dose in 3 weeks 

I heard the side effects are minimal except you may feel a desire to upgrade Windows on your PC for about the first 24 hours.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We will see. Been a “good” year for conspiracy theorists...

Seeing plenty of support for stores and domestic airlines implementing this. 

Well, capitalism will do what it will do.  If a store decides to go that way and goes under that’s on them. I would not compare it to discrimination against race, religion, sex etc. I personally don’t think it would be needed for a place like a store.  I think this will be largely over before that nonsense kicks in

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Unrelated to COVID, just on a private business standpoint... can’t they do pretty much whatever they want as long as it doesn’t discriminate against a “protected class” such as race, gender, disability, etc?

Like if Wal-Mart wants you to hold your right hand on top of your head at all times while in the store (or something ridiculous like that), isn’t that up to them?  People boycott and business levels/revenue sorts things out like, maybe that’s not a good policy when sales fall 45%.

On a minor level it could be like a place requiring closed toed shoes instead of sandals for *your* safety for certain activities.  The new one is for “our employees safety” and that seems to have a lot of latitude too.

I’m curious from any legal folks on here what limits does a private business have in implementing whatever policy they want?  Not a COVID question, but just assume business XYZ wants you to only wear a red shirt while in their store.  Can they do that?

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I was chatting with my neighbor who is a scientist working on many subjects.    She thinks once we have 50-55% vaccinated it’s over citing Israeli statistics ongoing.   That means that we’re likely done this summer if she is correct.   

Yeah, if you plot the cases and vaccination rates in Israel when they got to 50% things began to plummet. 

We should get there far sooner than summer - things are really accelerating over the next 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I was chatting with my neighbor who is a scientist working on many subjects.    She thinks once we have 50-55% vaccinated it’s over citing Israeli statistics ongoing.   That means that we’re likely done this summer if she is correct.   

Were on pace to be 'done' by May if that's the case. I'm going to opening day thurs. Fully vaccinated. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

50-55% plus those who had the virus should whack it quickly

44 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I doubt we'll see this implemented in the US for much. Domestic airlines/routes I don't think there's a chance they'd do it (especially since they're operating now with many unvaccinated). Stores I have no idea how they'd do that.

Shows on Broadway? Concerts? Maybe I guess? I think it would be tough to really implement.

Cruises and international travel though probably a different story.

45 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I do look forward to attending a concert, theater show, or dining indoors.  Round 2 for my wife and I happening tomorrow.  Still won’t rush things.  I will definitely be glad when things are back to normal for my work.  This has been exhausting and frustrating.     

The vaccination clinic I have been working at is in an old mall that is being partially renovated to be a performance space.  There was some sort of rock/blues band rehearsing.  It really made me realize how much I missed live music performances.  Even the "Check 1,2" was nice to hear.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That would be awesome, and I am hopeful that is how this goes. 

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It’s funny that they will have around 4000 fans in the stands.  I’m thinking that I have been to Fenway (a long time ago) with that many or fewer.  

Those days are coming back with these prices and interest waning in baseball. No one my age cares about it as much as we used to..... I can only imagine numbers among Gen z

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Back in the 1960s, before the Impossible Dream, they sometimes played in front of 300-500 fans.  That’s nuts

30 years ago, lower box seats behind the dugout were $20 face value. My buddy lived on Queensbury street. We’d drink down at a little dive bar off Kilmarnock, then stumble over after the game started and buy those lower box seats for 10 bucks a piece off the street. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Those days are coming back with these prices and interest waning in baseball. No one my age cares about it as much as we used to..... I can only imagine numbers among Gen z

Yeah, if anything sporting events have been getting cheaper in recent years, if you're buying on the secondary market. 

It's pretty easy to grab grandstand tickets to Sox, Yankees, or Mets game (especially on a weeknight or against a non-marquee opponent) for $30-40.

When I lived in Dallas, it was easy to go for under $20.