Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

28 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

@dendrite is pretty knowledgeable on this stuff. Or at least used to be...lol. We are all getting old now. 

I used to know some good cheap ones back 10-15 years ago but I haven’t kept up. 

Ambient is a decent company for that price range. I also recall AcuRite being good. I think they still make solid stations in that 100-200 range. 

If you’re willing to splurge just a little higher, I think you can get a lower end Davis for 250-300. 

I have an accurate, got it for Chritmas one year, it's pretty decent.

My Ambient is pretty good. It serves the purpose. Sometimes a little wonky with the phone app and the base station requires reset. But usually reliable and seems decently accurate. The rain gauge can be way off in heavy/windy events which is a very common thing here. The anemometer seems OK, although there are no other obs around to compare to really; it never seems to do anything crazy and I mostly trust it. I'd recommend one if you are mostly looking for temp/humidity and don't want to spend much money.

13 hours ago, tamarack said:

Have not checked out what Maine does for solar, as our house in the woods isn't well situated for it - some shade in the morning and would only get diffused rays if anything during the PM, plus the fun of brushing snow off the roof installation that would be necessary to avoid even more shade.  However, we got a nice rebate for our heat pump and a tax credit from the IRS.  Together they covered about 40% of the purchase/installation of the unit.  We used it very sparingly this winter but look forward to cooler and less humid air this summer, the main reason for buying it.

Nada for Maine as well, but you can knock off 26% with the federal tax credit (or not if you want to keep the cash for something else). 

12 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

@dendrite is pretty knowledgeable on this stuff. Or at least used to be...lol. We are all getting old now. 

I used to know some good cheap ones back 10-15 years ago but I haven’t kept up. 

Ambient is a decent company for that price range. I also recall AcuRite being good. I think they still make solid stations in that 100-200 range. 

If you’re willing to splurge just a little higher, I think you can get a lower end Davis for 250-300. 

Yeah I'm out of the loop on quality for a $120-180 budget...especially if someone is looking for a full station (temp/hum/rain/wind). You're basically in the Ambient/Acurite range.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I think we will be ok if we can get 60-70% vaccinated.  Between that and the number of previous infections we should be good. 

I am an internet epidemiologist 

Probably would make more reasonable sense then who we have in place now.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Probably would make more reasonable sense then who we have in place now.

This article for instance is just media scare tactic headlines. So they talk to 70+ experts out of what,  tens of thousands that are out there? There is still little evidence that the virus will mutate beyond the capabilities of the vaccines that we already have.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/30/mutations-could-make-current-covid-vaccines-ineffective-soon-survey.html

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Not a fan of where things are headed now, but I am in the minority on this, I guess, at least in terms of who is loudest on the Internet. Hope everyone enjoys their vaccine passports and continued lockdowns. I'm sure none of that can end badly for us.

I'm fine with it. Safety first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

COVID has been a total mess for employers. I have been dealing with legal issues and a flood of irrational, career-destroying behavior from employees. So many tweaked people out there. I cannot imagine what a customer-facing establishment like a hair salon or restaurant is dealign with between the general uncertainty, the employees, and the customers. It must be incredibly draining.

Likely that way in population centers.  The barbershop where I go (most recently last Friday) seems pretty laid back.  It's appointment-only and the price has bumped up a bit to cover masks, cleaning supplies and stuff (and will undoubtedly not go back down) but beyond that it's business as usual in the big town of Farmington.  (Biggest in Franklin County anyway - entire county pop is a bit under 30k spread over 1700+ square miles.)

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Likely that way in population centers.  The barbershop where I go (most recently last Friday) seems pretty laid back.  It's appointment-only and the price has bumped up a bit to cover masks, cleaning supplies and stuff (and will undoubtedly not go back down) but beyond that it's business as usual in the big town of Farmington.  (Biggest in Franklin County anyway - entire county pop is a bit under 30k spread over 1700+ square miles.)

Yes, my post was referring to the Baltimore/DC region. I hate it down there now. 

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

This article for instance is just media scare tactic headlines. So they talk to 70+ experts out of what,  tens of thousands that are out there? There is still little evidence that the virus will mutate beyond the capabilities of the vaccines that we already have.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/30/mutations-could-make-current-covid-vaccines-ineffective-soon-survey.html

They are working to build consensus for continued lockdowns, social distancing, endless booster vaccines, and health passports. Once you learn to identify media propaganda tactics, it becomes sickening to see how they operate. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Meanwhile in Canada, the largest ski resort on the planet in terms of skier visits is shutting down again.  British Columbia going back to closures for non-essentials it sounds like... gyms, bars, restaurants, ski areas effected.

C92DFD2A-0ED3-457C-A66F-689F027CA6BB.thumb.jpeg.1bd14fc56afa144bdfde6f1383e30d17.jpeg

This is absurd and uncalled for, and it makes me thankful to be in a country where such extreme lockdowns are resisted. Shutting down any outdoor recreation is completely asinine, especially in this late stage. I guess it isn’t enough to require masks in the indoor lodges. Seems like some of these countries are prioritizing controlling others rather than making the vaccine more accessible.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They are working to build consensus for continued lockdowns, social distancing, endless booster vaccines, and health passports. Once you learn to identify media propaganda tactics, it becomes sickening to see how they operate. 

There will be intense pushback against vaccine passports. Florida is already saying no way.

• Like 1

I keep hemming and hawing over getting a station - heh...  Some Met, huh -

But, I live kitty corner to d-town Ayer, which has a density of Davis -type home stations tied into Wunder' already,... I got like 7 or 8 of them within a mile and half of my home, so what's the point.  They're all reasonably well calibrated, too, seeming to average pretty closely to equidistant KFIT to KASH NWS sites, so it's accurate just to take the mean - still it'd be nice to have one's own (hem), ... but is it really necessary ( haw)?  

Laziness will probably decide for me ...

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

And you already need to show proof of vaccinations (not Covid) for travel to and from some parts of the world. 

Sure, for fights to places such as Uganda and for extremely deadly diseases such as yellow fever. Not for domestic flights and to go into a store. Let’s not conflate these two very different things. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Sure, for fights to places such as Uganda and for extremely deadly diseases such as yellow fever. Not for domestic flights and to go into a store. Let’s not conflate these two very different things. 

I’m fine with private businesses making decisions that they feel are best. If they want to go that route, let them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I’m fine with private businesses making decisions that they feel are best. If they want to go that route, let them. 

Wow... OK. Are you good with stores discriminating on other health status items, such as flu vaccination or if they have a cold? What about criminal record? Financial status? Or just this one thing and nothing else? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

For people who are vaccinated, COVID is not even as bad as the flu.

Ya, that is the truly funny thing. The process of determining how the experts have done is a farce. It's done in a vacuum. So it's incomplete to be polite and very ignorant. People like to make decisions than look for reasons to support what they did or believe. They don't want the mental anguish of questioning themselves. The media has insured People form opinions while only seeing one side of a story (deaths that maybe possibly were saved from Covid lock downs) there is no formal number to look up because many epidemiologists know this is NOT how you would operate by quarantining 100% of a population when 1% is sick, there is no real data to compare. Masks, hand washing , etc can all slow the spread of something very contagious and lower the trajectory. 

Its a media induced fear cycle combined with political folks and health experts realizing they can do anything in the name of safety bc nobody is going to blame them for unemployment deaths, obesity inducted deaths, stress induced deaths, depression deaths.  Nope ...so the path to (over)-react for safety was paved and a easy one to choose if you are a health official or politician.  

People have been getting spoon fed facts by "select" experts who ....have convinced the public to say  if they save 10,000 covid lives (that wouldn't not have other wise been saved ) from lockdowns that they did a good job and it was worth it. There has been a black out on the costs in mental health, depression , anxiety and lives lost form non elective surgeries not getting done, Deaths from increased suicide .  Forced bankruptcy's of businesses in the hundreds of thousands (read that again FORCED bankruptcies of successful) business. It was calculated that for every 1% rise in unemployment there are 40,000 additional deaths.  People have a very ignorant view of determining if the experts are right .   The experts are very intelligent.and usually politically savvy  (but operate in a vaccuum) . What i mean by operate in a vacuum is  they have ZERO  job accountability for the side effects'/deaths  from  unmeployment rate, ,depression increase, suicide increases, drug OD increases, general depression among isolated elderly and youth.  It's amazing how all those things which have been magnified by lock downs are swept under the rug when weighing how the experts did. 

The Experts let a second and third wave of Deaths hit the nursing homes after it was apparent that was where 40% of ALL the covid deaths were occuring.  In that small 1.5% of the population ...40% of Covid deaths occurred.  How did the health experts do....saving people in nursing homes after it was apparent and the hysteria of the first wave was complete and we had actual data (not feelings) to go on.   They failed Miserable there. 

I will be getting a shot shortly and this was a very contagious virus and I’m not saying making decisions to minimize the total impact it would have were anything but difficult. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

You know you and i are on the same page, but we dont want it shut down again :)

Besides, i need to report my fever, chills, headache, and horn growth when i get my second dose in 3 weeks 

“Horn growth” you say. Thank you WWX. I just received my second ‘PZ’ shot today. Now, at least, I have something to look forward to. As always .....

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I doubt those will be required for stores.  Not sure about flights.  I’m leaning no