• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Regarding difference in solar pricing, I just learned that National Grid SMART incentives filled up compared to Eversource.  $7000 is a lot of electric bills.  Certainly not interested in a system with that kind of pricing differential. 

It's like Prius Prime (plug-in) or any plug-in hybrid.  Massive incentives makes them cost less than regular hybrids.  Not sure that is a good fair market driver.

Prius Prime has a $4500 cash incentive from Toyota.  Guess that tells me how well they are selling compared to SUVs.  $4500 from Toyota, $4500 from Feds, and I think $1500 from MA.  Not bad if you like the Prius.  

1 hour ago, Supernovice said:

For those that care about such things... the Asian opening tonight is the most exciting one in awhile given what took place on Friday. It will probably open with a whimper but for those that want to see things unravel- tonight/ Tomm has a chance to make some noise.

More Tiger Cubs blowing up?

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Here is what I got... looks like if I took their loan... I’d save like $78 a month over the life of the loan than if I just paid the Electric bill 

347BB9D5-5ED5-403B-A6F7-0A642B22FAEE.png

If I remember correctly Taunton has their own municipal power and is like half of what Eversource charges. Massachusetts has like the 4th highest electricity rates at .22 kwh. For most people the payback period at those rates is 4-5 years . I don't think people realize how expensive electricity is in New England compared to the rest of the nation. Here is the data from the EIA.

The Taunton incentive is pretty nuts though at $9k. 

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I scoped it out. That’s pretty cool. 

Eversource is running a program called demand response where you allow them to draw from your battery during high demand days in the summer. They pay you for each event up to $1375 a year. New England currently relies on mostly oil fired peaker power plants that sit idle for like 95% of the year. Just like what happened in Texas when they are needed they can charge outrageously high rates. 

Here is the program if anyone's interested.

https://www.eversource.com/content/ema-c/residential/save-money-energy/manage-energy-costs-usage/demand-response/battery-storage-demand-response

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

More Tiger Cubs blowing up?

What looked like alpha was in retrospect leveraged beta. I know they aren’t the only ones. 

I’m firmly in the camp that this is no biggie...but there are people that want to see the system blow up. The easiest way to do that is through a liquidity crunch. Tonight and tomm would be when that would reveal itself, if it were going to happen at all (which it won’t- I hope).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

If I remember correctly Taunton has their own municipal power and is like half of what Eversource charges. Massachusetts has like the 4th highest electricity rates at .22 kwh. For most people the payback period at those rates is 4-5 years . I don't think people realize how expensive electricity is in New England compared to the rest of the nation. Here is the data from the EIA.

The Taunton incentive is pretty nuts though at $9k. 

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a

Yes... Taunton has its own power plant, TMLP.

I may pursue it a bit further, especially if the 5 year note would Be cheaper than my electric bill, and then after the 5 years, it’s basically free power.

I guess my issue would be is the installation cost and all the other ancillary stuff that I don’t think is included in that quote.

Yes... Taunton has its own power plant, TMLP.

I may pursue it a bit further, especially if the 5 year note would Be cheaper than my electric bill, and then after the 5 years, it’s basically free power.

I guess my issue would be is the installation cost and all the other ancillary stuff that I don’t think is included in that quote.

I think that's all included, I've been to quite a few houses since they came out and that's about what they all tell me they cost give a take a few thousand. I'm looking into too, even if you broke even on your electric bill for 5 years you still get free power after 5 years and a lot of people tell me they get money back.

6 hours ago, Supernovice said:

For those that care about such things... the Asian opening tonight is the most exciting one in awhile given what took place on Friday. It will probably open with a whimper but for those that want to see things unravel- tonight/ Tomm has a chance to make some noise.

I was reading about this earlier and came here to see what people were thinking and ended up researching solar / EV rebates / tax incentives. :)

I think that's all included, I've been to quite a few houses since they came out and that's about what they all tell me they cost give a take a few thousand. I'm looking into too, even if you broke even on your electric bill for 5 years you still get free power after 5 years and a lot of people tell me they get money back.
The savings I get on my electric bill is nice, it I make way more money selling the renewable energy credits (SRECs). I use a company in CA that monitors it for me and sells my credits in the market when the price is high. I've been getting about $350 per credit (it used to be over $500) and usually make between around $2500 to $3k a year from it. My system is pretty small though. It's cool to get a direct deposit for hundreds of dollars 4 times a year for doing nothing.

I've tried to buy Tesla powerwall packs. They are a fortune. It's also my understanding, as of the last time I checked, that Tesla won't sell Power walls by themselves...you can only buy them as part of a whole system. Not sure if that is still a thing though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

The savings I get on my electric bill is nice, it I make way more money selling the renewable energy credits (SRECs). I use a company in CA that monitors it for me and sells my credits in the market when the price is high. I've been getting about $350 per credit (it used to be over $500) and usually make between around $2500 to $3k a year from it. My system is pretty small though. It's cool to get a direct deposit for hundreds of dollars 4 times a year for doing nothing.

I've tried to buy Tesla powerwall packs. They are a fortune. It's also my understanding, as of the last time I checked, that Tesla won't sell Power walls by themselves...you can only buy them as part of a whole system. Not sure if that is still a thing though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I’ll have to talk to you more about this, but you get money for selling the power? I’m pretty confused lol.

32 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Interesting. It seems like a great deal, in MA especially. Basically, if you can afford your electric bill, you should be able to pay for solar lol.

Can anyone here comment on the Tesla system itself? Size of the panels etc etc? There is a solar company right down the street from me, Vivint solar, but some of the reviews are pretty meh.

41 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ll have to talk to you more about this, but you get money for selling the power? I’m pretty confused lol.

38 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

It's the excess power your panels make, they buy it back.

Not just the excess. RECs are used as a way to offset fossil fuel use (think people, companies, places with commitments to green energy). There is a market for each MWh of energy produced. So if you produce 10 MWh of electricity, even if you use some of that yourself, you can sell the REC for cash. 

Now if you're solely into solar for the green aspect, you can't then say your energy usage is green because you traded it to someone else and the electricity they traded you would be "dirty."

I'm adding a ~15 KW array to the house this summer. More or less the loan is a wash with our electric bill (which we're going to pay regardless), so it's a net zero for 12 years, and the back half of the panel warrantied lifespan is all gravy. After paying off the solar loan, in the end the net should be around 35k that we don't have to spend on electricity.

• Like 2

Interesting. It seems like a great deal, in MA especially. Basically, if you can afford your electric bill, you should be able to pay for solar lol.

Can anyone here comment on the Tesla system itself? Size of the panels etc etc? There is a solar company right down the street from me, Vivint solar, but some of the reviews are pretty meh.

I found this page: https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/solar-panels/going-solar/sizing-and-design which gives you the size of the panels, etc. The warranty info is here: https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/solar-panels/learn/solar-service-warranty

33 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Not just the excess. RECs are used as a way to offset fossil fuel use (think people, companies, places with commitments to green energy). There is a market for each MWh of energy produced. So if you produce 10 MWh of electricity, even if you use some of that yourself, you can sell the REC for cash. 

Now if you're solely into solar for the green aspect, you can't then say your energy usage is green because you traded it to someone else and the electricity they traded you would be "dirty."

I'm adding a ~15 KW array to the house this summer. More or less the loan is a wash with our electric bill (which we're going to pay regardless), so it's a net zero for 12 years, and the back half of the panel warrantied lifespan is all gravy. After paying off the solar loan, in the end the net should be around 35k that we don't have to spend on electricity.

I get $120/month in SREC credits through National Grid and have for the past 3 years since going solar. Helps offset the price of the system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, monadnocks said:

ARKX is going to launch on 3/30 ( https://seekingalpha.com/article/4416500-emerge-ark-space-exploration-etf-ready-for-launch ) I've never bought an ETF on opening day. Will it be easily available? 

I won't make a recommendation either way, but I would strongly strongly urge you to do your due diligence before putting money at risk.

13 hours ago, Supernovice said:

What looked like alpha was in retrospect leveraged beta. I know they aren’t the only ones. 

I’m firmly in the camp that this is no biggie...but there are people that want to see the system blow up. The easiest way to do that is through a liquidity crunch. Tonight and tomm would be when that would reveal itself, if it were going to happen at all (which it won’t- I hope).

Any thoughts on whether the ongoing unwind of Archegos could lead to a more general degrossing of hedge fund lending at prime brokers? Some risk officers are probably sweating this morning.  

Today was my 1st chance to register for the vax in NH (40+ and healthy). Got a slot today in Concord on day 1. I was on the fence about getting it, but screw it...get it done and over with. I'd rather get the vax rather than get the virus and deal with any possible effects from that. The long hauler symptoms seem pretty agonizing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Any thoughts on whether the ongoing unwind of Archegos could lead to a more general degrossing of hedge fund lending at prime brokers? Some risk officers are probably sweating this morning.  

Haven’t logged in but my pre-market thoughts/ questions are below:

1) When banks take a hit it’s usually on something that is deemed safe but turns out isn’t. I.e. mortgage bonds (GFC) or an arb trade (LTCM). But TRS on single equity names....I mean everyone knows the risks or should- especially people paid to evaluate such things. Did ‘stocks only go up’ get ingested into the risk departments? Really don’t know.

2) what caused this.? These names were 800+% off the lows. There were some downgrades last week and share offerings in these names which put downward pressure. But turns out that 800% was pushed along by one leveraged buyer. After a long time of one way price action, sometimes it doesn’t take much to unravel. Also did the SLR exemption expiration play a role? Maybe.

3) finally...I can’t imagine running a leveraged book on single names using TRS. No idea how he managed to sleep. But imagine being the counterparty on these trades? Like wtf were they thinking? Now you own $20b+ of this shit as of 12/31/20. Oops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1