Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

11 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Take a trip up north the first few weeks of June and enjoy black fly season.  

You haven't lived yet, If you have not experienced an early season camping trip tenting when you wake up the next morning to find an eye swollen shut because of some black fly bites, We use to get some good ribbing in when you stepped out of the tent..............:lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BrianW said:

I work in a skilled trade. Been hearing from a lot of people new work is really starting to plummet off a cliff. I heard a few places have started to lay people off. It starting to sound like the COVID boom with people doing work around their house is coming to a end. There is also a huge drop in commercial work. 

Cliff may be on the way here but it's not yet arrived.  The 2 builder/carpenters (separate sole proprietors) at our church are regretfully telling prospective clients it would be well into next year before they could get to those clients' jobs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Take a trip up north the first few weeks of June and enjoy black fly season.  

Then in July the deerflies take over.  While mosquitos sip thru their straws and black flies scratch and lick one's blood, it feels like deerflies carve off a steak and fly away with it.  I'll admit the greenheads at the shore are at least as bad, especially at late afternoon when the sea breeze dies and successful anglers have hands covered with fish guts.  However, even at their worst I've never seen more than 10-15 greenheads around me while I've had 10 times that many deerflies lusting for my blood.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

You haven't lived yet, If you have not experienced an early season camping trip tenting when you wake up the next morning to find an eye swollen shut because of some black fly bites, We use to get some good ribbing in when you stepped out of the tent..............:lol:

When I was about 10 and my brother was 5, my parents told me to make sure I sprayed him before we went to sleep while they went to some friend’s campsite. Apparently, I did not get near his face because that’s exactly how he woke up the next morning. 

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2021 at 9:04 AM, PhineasC said:

It’s still also really hard to get home gym equipment, such as weight plates. 

Not being critical and maybe you are but surprised your not back in the gym, I’ve been back since July and haven’t had any cases in the gyms I go to. The only thing that sucks is working out with a neck gaiter because I sweat a lot and it like being water boarded when it fills with sweat.

ZH with a nice summary of a report from MS (Matt hornbach their bond guy) on the source of Treasury shorting over the last quarter. Seems it would start in  Japan and was related to end of year balancing. He predicts rates will normalize in April , already seeing some of that. Cant find report , assume it’s behind a paywall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S&P said:

Not being critical and maybe you are but surprised your not back in the gym, I’ve been back since July and haven’t had any cases in the gyms I go to. The only thing that sucks is working out with a neck gaiter because I sweat a lot and it like being water boarded when it fills with sweat.

I have always worked out at home. I have enough equipment myself. Was just making an observation. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I have always worked out at home. I have enough equipment myself. Was just making an observation. 

Me and my brother have built up a good gym over the years in his basement, weights, dumbbells, leg machine and a lat machine. We work out when we want and have a TV down there and watch the Sox or Bruins while we work out. Also have a treadmill.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S&P said:

I've been back at the gym pretty steady during the week since Nov. Early morning is best. No issues.

• Like 1

What a month for those of us with solar on their houses. I've had solar on my roof for 7 years and I already broke my record for March production last week and there's still 5 days left. I just checked and this March has also given me more production than any April as well. Good stuff

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

What a month for those of us with solar on their houses. I've had solar on my roof for 7 years and I already broke my record for March production last week and there's still 5 days left. I just checked and this March has also given me more production than any April as well. Good stuff

Yep. Been an epic month for production.

Screenshot_20210326-082430_mySolarEdge.thumb.jpg.e3918de5f859dc335be5241be952bc96.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, butterfish55 said:

You own or lease? I'm looking into now.

3 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

You own or lease? I'm looking into now.

Own.  We bought them straight up when they were installed.  Not a huge system...18 panels , 4.5 KW.   More than paid for themselves already and  well worth the investment.

Plus, I just bought a new EV car (Chevy Bolt), so I try only to plug it in on sunny days  to charge it for free.  Win win!

• Like 6

On 3/25/2021 at 11:16 AM, S&P said:

Roger that and I was just looking for an excuse to talk about working out.

Been back since July . Did in home from April to July .Not wearing a mask when I’m doing heavy sets. Heavy basic sets are pretty much at least half of my routine  That would be umm...just no ..I.E asking for a issue When Deadlifting..Leg pressing ..otherwise when walking around I flip it on. 

I also work at a facility for women only  , I have it on 100% there (in mass) I’m just glad none of the ladies have passed out During their workouts . I push Most of those women harder than I workout myself , it’s impressive how hard they work (and only 15 seconds of rest between sets ) is the hardest part .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Been back since July . Did in home from April to July .Not wearing a mask when I’m doing heavy sets. Heavy basic sets are pretty much at least half of my routine  That would be umm...just no ..I.E asking for a issue When Deadlifting..Leg pressing ..otherwise when walking around I flip it on. 

I also work at a facility for women only  , I have it on 100% there (in mass) I’m just glad none of the ladies have passed out During their workouts . I push Most of those women harder than I workout myself , it’s impressive how hard they work (and only 15 seconds of rest between sets ) is the hardest part .

LOL

On 3/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, butterfish55 said:

Own.  We bought them straight up when they were installed.  Not a huge system...18 panels , 4.5 KW.   More than paid for themselves already and  well worth the investment.

Plus, I just bought a new EV car (Chevy Bolt), so I try only to plug it in on sunny days  to charge it for free.  Win win!

I've come to the conclusion that's the way to go, not many people knew but Fannie Mae was giving out 5 year 0% loans to install solar.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I've come to the conclusion that's the way to go, not many people knew but Fannie Mae was giving out 5 year 0% loans to install solar.

I financed with a low interest home equity loan through my credit union. My monthly payment was basically my average monthly electric bill. Instead of paying for electricity I paid my loan off.. My Eversource bill has been $9 for just the service charge for the last 4 years. 

If your in Massachusetts the incentives are obscene. They have one now for batteries/powerwalls. I think 1 powerwall retails for 7k. You can get 3 for less than that.

This system would cost like 3 to 4x the amount in Ohio. This is a Tesla quote for ny sister in Boston. The incentives in Mass are nuts. I think your payback period is 4-5 years and then its free electricity for the next 20. 

Screenshot_20210220-054753_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve been on the mass vaccine site waitlist for like 2 weeks now with nothing to speak of.

I went onto the CVS site a few minutes ago and even though it said all sites were fully booked, they had open slots at a few places.

Pretty weird, you refresh and there is a location with unlimited times, and then go back and refresh again and it’s gone, only to reappear again later, kind of glitchy.

Anyway was able to book myself and my wife’s first and second doses at the cvs in carver at the same time both days. We will be getting the Moderna vaccine according to the site.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BrianW said:

I financed with a low interest home equity loan through my credit union. My monthly payment was basically my average monthly electric bill. Instead of paying for electricity I paid my loan off.. My Eversource bill has been $9 for just the service charge for the last 4 years. 

If your in Massachusetts the incentives are obscene. They have one now for batteries/powerwalls. I think 1 powerwall retails for 7k. You can get 3 for less than that.

This system would cost like 3 to 4x the amount in Ohio. This is a Tesla quote for ny sister in Boston. The incentives in Mass are nuts. I think your payback period is 4-5 years and then its free electricity for the next 20. 

What’s the power wall? Battery? I may look into the panels and power walls. 

21 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

That's a Tesla home battery, with some of those you don't need a generator, also if its cloudy and you don't produce much solar gain you can have the excess stored from the more sunny days.

Yeah I scoped it out. That’s pretty cool. 

22 hours ago, BrianW said:

Incentives are MUCH MUCH better for some in MA versus others...

Screenshot_20210328-141248.png