Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2021

George BM

13 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

That's cool about "The Queen's Gambit!"  Haven't seen that.  And glad to see another chess aficionado, though I'm probably not all that good (not as good as I was when I used to play more).  I still enjoy reading about some of these historical players and their games/tournaments, especially the older ones from the early and mid 20th century.  Capablanca, Lasker, Tarrasch, Bronstein, etc.  I believe @yoda is a chess fan as well.

I've enjoyed reading more about historical chessmasters over the years, too -- but you'll likely laugh at the genesis of my interest. In freshman year of college, I lived next door in the dorm to a music major who played a wide variety of music, especially from stage musicals. I'm no great fan of musicals (and really dislike opera), but that year my dorm neighbor had one cast album on high rotation, and the repetition did its work on me. It was a then-new musical from lyricist Tim Rice and music from the two dudes from the pop group ABBA called "Chess" -- about a chess championship between American vs. Russian grandmasters, and the woman they BOTH fall in love with (of course).

I realize this concept sounds like a yawner on paper, but I'm telling you -- Chess has some of the best rock, pop, classical and other styles of music therein that I've ever heard, on OR off the stage. Most folks are familiar with rap-ish pop song "One Night In Bangkok" from that era....but have no idea it serves as the Act 2 opener from Chess. Lots of productions done around the world over the years, but one of the best is a 2008 semi-staged concert version done with Idina Menzel and Josh Groban (trailer below). You can still catch an occasional rerun on PBS, and I can recommend the DVD as a enjoyable and worthwhile investment, too.  :) 

• Like 1

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Shortages were a problem all last year . Especially breakers 

I rewired my entire bathroom this winter.. GFCIs.. wall mounted candle lights.  It was hard work.. I have new found respect for your profession

The hardest thing for me was the stress of not really knowing what I was doing.. just added a lot of pressure to research/ learn and make sure everything was right.  

32 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

I'm not joking when I say International Delight made a Peeps-flavored coffee creamer for last Easter.  It was yellow.

They did indeed have Peeps creamer last year...my wife bought it. I don't use the stuff as a rule, but to me it tasted like ID's french vanilla creamer with a shiny yellow Peeps label on it.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Coffee, black, MAYBE a half teaspoon of sugar once in a while.

I'm with ya. Actually, I drink it straight-up black nearly all of the time. Every summer in college I worked on a PennDOT road crew and they had an automatic coffee maker in the main garage we started out from each morning....but NEVER any creamer or sugar on hand. THAT'S how I learned to drink coffee, and to drink it straight.  :) 

• Like 2

Just now, vastateofmind said:

I'm with ya. Actually, I drink it straight-up black nearly all of the time. Every summer in college I worked on a PennDOT road crew and they had an automatic coffee maker in the main garage we started out from each morning....but NEVER any creamer or sugar on hand. THAT'S how I learned to drink coffee, and to drink it straight.  :) 

Same, I only drink coffee black.  When I interned for an accounting firm in college, I wanted to look like a "businessman" so I went to Dunkin Donuts every morning to get a cup of coffee - I hated the taste back then so I loaded it up with cream and sugar so it would taste like a milkshake.  Again, I just wanted to look the part, ha.  But that's how I got into coffee.

Now, I only drink Dunkin coffee in a pinch (its coffee flavored water IMO).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I'm off work today. And I'm TOTALLY going to treat myself to a re-watch of Airplane. In my top 3 funniest movies I've ever seen and it STILL holds up after all these years.

The scene where Captain Oveure goes through all the symptoms in 30 sec is pants wetting funny.  Every single time.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Can she try apples off the tree from an orchard?  I thought they only put pectin on the apples to preserve them when shipping and to give that fake shine. 

It is actually a natural thing in apples in the skin. 

And loving this weather. House if full open all 3 levels. Did my workout in the front room as I do in colder weather. Half way through was sweating a bucket so looks like time to move down to the lower level.

Mr. J just took the day off as he did not sleep well and after he does the food round up we are going to try out our new portable electric power washer. The patio and deck need some attention. With the winds it may turn into a soak fest but it will be warm enough for it. 

• Like 3

Everyone is talking about how nice it is but for people with pollen its been nasty, high winds + 80s in spring is a bad combination. I can confirm, though it was nice to see some cherry blossoms nearby be out in flowers. Can't wait for the April Fools Snow Storm that will totally happen.  

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic