Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2021

George BM

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Didnt take long for the craping on any possible snow negative nilly posts in the friday thread.  

"Ground temps"

" 2 inches of rain to snow won't accumulate "

":This is a 99% rain event "

Don’t fret. Your thread is still gonna surpass the Ji thread

4 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Jackson, MS looks like the place NOT to be today. Going to be REALLY bad day. You know it’s coming. I just hope everyone down there can stay safe. 

nocturnal tornadoes too, which are even worse. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Today is brought to you by @high risk

It's my day!!!     I'm humbled, but I can't help but think that a high-end MDT would have worked fine for today.....

In other news, this may have been covered elsewhere, but the NCEP "critical weather day" means that GFSv16 can't be implemented today (or tomorrow with the MDT).    As a result, it has to wait until next Monday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, high risk said:

It's my day!!!     I'm humbled, but I can't help but think that a high-end MDT would have worked fine for today.....

In other news, this may have been covered elsewhere, but the NCEP "critical weather day" means that GFSv16 can't be implemented today (or tomorrow with the MDT).    As a result, it has to wait until next Monday.

Saw that on the ADM message this AM. Figured that would be the case. Told my coworker that yesterday when we brought it up. 

• Like 1

Just now, nj2va said:

Ravens player arrested over the weekend in Arlington apparently.  Accused of breaking into vehicles.

https://www.arlnow.com/2021/03/17/new-baltimore-ravens-player-arrested-in-arlington/

That's pretty insane. It says he was trying to be a breakout player this year. Might have to try to breakout of jail instead. Smh. Just throwing your career away over who knows what reason. I'll never understand people. 

In unrelated sports news, I'm actually excited to see the Caps finally picking up their play entering the final leg of the season. Need them to get hot and stay hot heading into the home stretch and hopefully playoffs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

That's pretty insane. It says he was trying to be a breakout player this year. Might have to try to breakout of jail instead. Smh. Just throwing your career away over who knows what reason. I'll never understand people. 

In unrelated sports news, I'm actually excited to see the Caps finally picking up their play entering the final leg of the season. Need them to get hot and stay hot heading into the home stretch and hopefully playoffs. 

I think we pretty much know who is going to make the playoffs out of our "division" this year... I'm willing to bet its WSH/NYI/PIT/BOS.  Now in what order remains to be seen.  Remember for this year, the playoffs start within your own division... so the 1 seed plays the 4 seed and the 2 seed plays the 3 seed.  So right now, it would be WSH/BOS and PIT/NYI

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

I think we pretty much know who is going to make the playoffs out of our "division" this year... I'm willing to bet its WSH/NYI/PIT/BOS.  Now in what order remains to be seen.  Remember for this year, the playoffs start within your own division... so the 1 seed plays the 4 seed and the 2 seed plays the 3 seed.  So right now, it would be WSH/BOS and PIT/NYI

Toughest division in hockey

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

It's going to be really entertaining down the stretch and in the playoffs 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nj2va said:

They ebb and flow but I’m encouraged by their play of late and there is better chemistry this year than last season.  Oh and terrible Todd is out as our coach so that helps.  Lol at the Penguins for picking him up.

i agree.  I only worry because of their age.  They looked very "OLD" the past two years in the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, toolsheds said:

i agree.  I only worry because of their age.  They looked very "OLD" the past two years in the playoffs.  

Charra is making an impact off the ice as well. Veteran leader steady presence in the locker room. Did you see Charra last night when the islanders player was trying to pick a fight with a non fighter caps player

Edit - I believe the caps player was Panik

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Anyone else here who couldn’t give two shits about prince William, prince Harry, their wives, the queen, the royals and anybody else connected? Why are we always hearing about this crap?

In real life, I'm with you 100% -- I don't even give one shit. However, full disclosure -- we allowed ourselves to get addicted to "The Crown" on Netflix and now must see it through to the end. But that is my extent of "royal-watching."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Anyone else here who couldn’t give two shits about prince William, prince Harry, their wives, the queen, the royals and anybody else connected? Why are we always hearing about this crap?

Yup. I really couldn’t care less. 

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Looks like the Greek alphabet is being replaced. Also a little surprised Isaias wasn’t retired given the east coast impact.

So... then we get Hurricane #21?  Like after all the names are used, we just go to the next number in line?   As in if William was the 20th name on the list that is

1 minute ago, yoda said:

So... then we get Hurricane #21?  Like after all the names are used, we just go to the next number in line?   As in if William was the 20th name on the list that is

Well if I read the article I would know lol -- https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/wmo-hurricane-committee-retires-tropical-cyclone-names-and-ends-use-of-greek

Greek Alphabet

The annual name list has been exhausted on two occasions during the past 15 years, and it is likely that this will occur again in the future.

Hurricane Committee members agreed to create a supplemental list of names A-Z (excluding Q, U, as well as X, Y, and Z on the Atlantic list) that would be used in lieu of the Greek alphabet when the standard list is exhausted in a given season. Names on this list could be retired and replaced, when required. Names beginning with Q, U, X, Y and Z are still not common enough or easily understood in local languages to be slotted into the rotating lists.

The 2020 season showed that there were a number of shortcomings with the use of the Greek alphabet.

• There can be too much focus on the use of Greek alphabet names and not the actual impacts from the storm.  This can greatly detract from the needed impact and safety messaging. 
  • There is confusion with some Greek alphabet names when they are translated into other languages used within the Region. 
  • The pronunciation of several of the Greek letters (Zeta, Eta, Theta) are similar and occur in succession.  In 2020, this resulted in storms with very similar sounding names occurring simultaneously, which led to messaging challenges rather than streamlined and clear communication. 
  • Impacts from Eta and Iota were severe enough that those names have formally retired by the Hurricane Committee.  There was no formal plan for retiring Greek names, and the future use of these names would be inappropriate.  

A supplemental list of Atlantic tropical cyclone names in lieu of using the Greek Alphabet was agreed by the committee.

Still seems a bit weird though to go from Hurricane William and then back to let's say Alice 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic