Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2021

George BM

3 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Go caps! Great first period!

Having sporting event withdrawals lol.  Really craving to attend some sort of a game. Whether it be an Os game. Or caps or Hersey bears.

Same!  If Bowser doesn’t let fans back into Capital One soon, my buddy and I are going to head up to NY/Philly/Boston to see a Caps game in person.  I miss going to games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Same!  If Bowser doesn’t let fans back into Capital One soon, my buddy and I are going to head up to NY/Philly/Boston to see a Caps game in person.  I miss going to games.

Definitely going to get to an O's game this April.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nj2va said:

This will probably be a way down the road, but when you have the chance go to Montreal and watch a game there.  It truly is something to be experienced.

This would be a bit harder to accomplish, given the size of the arena and you'd need to have a connecting flight, but also consider going to Winnipeg.  A few years back the crowd famously took up a chant of "Crosby's better!" when the Caps were in town.  Their taunting chants are a point of pride for them, and the arena was designed with the acoustics in mind (smaller capacity, big noise).

13 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

This will probably be a way down the road, but when you have the chance go to Montreal and watch a game there.  It truly is something to be experienced.

This would be a bit harder to accomplish, given the size of the arena and you'd need to have a connecting flight, but also consider going to Winnipeg.  A few years back the crowd famously took up a chant of "Crosby's better!" when the Caps were in town.  Their taunting chants are a point of pride for them, and the arena was designed with the acoustics in mind (smaller capacity, big noise).

Ha, funny you say that.  When things are back to full capacity (hopefully next season), my friend and I are going to do a Canadian hockey trip and see the Caps play in Montreal and Winnipeg.  I’ve heard great things especially about Winnipeg due to the smaller arena and the diehard hockey fans there.  

22 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Ha, funny you say that.  When things are back to full capacity (hopefully next season), my friend and I are going to do a Canadian hockey trip and see the Caps play in Montreal and Winnipeg.  I’ve heard great things especially about Winnipeg due to the smaller arena and the diehard hockey fans there.  

When Winnipeg got the Atlanta Thrashers, the season ticket commitment was for 5 years.  Sold out the arena in less than 10 minutes.  For those who split them with others, the most desired dates were the first game of the regular season and when Anaheim and Teemu Selanne paid a first visit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GATECH said:

Yellow Jackets win the Acc championship!  27 years 364 days since the last one, also the day after the storm of the century...what a time to be alive back then!

All right!!!  Go Jackets...cheers to the "Ramblin' Wreck!"

I wasn't there during the Storm of the Century...at the time was in Ohio for that, working for a small private forecasting company during the event!  We got about 8-12" in northeast Ohio along with blizzard warnings.  Closed down the eastern part of the Ohio Turnpike for awhile.  Fun time!  I also remember that company had a contract to give forecasts to the New York Thruway (God, that was a chore!).  I was sending out forecasts of 2-4 *feet* for much of the central and eastern part of the Thruway.  It was so unusual that I even got a phone call asking if that was real, and I had to assure them that it was serious!!  I think Syracuse, NY got 40" as I recall.

Went to Tech about a year or so later for grad school.  I did hear how bad it was in the Atlanta area.  You mentioned they issued blizzard warnings in a comment you made the other day?  Didn't realize that.  From what I recall, the official airport measurement was around 4" (unreal for there any time, let alone March!), but parts of the metro area and north got a foot.  I read stories about how people along I-75/85 and other major roads got trapped, and just abandoned their vehicles and walked, because it was impossible to drive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

All right!!!  Go Jackets...cheers to the "Ramblin' Wreck!"

I wasn't there during the Storm of the Century...at the time was in Ohio for that, working for a small private forecasting company during the event!  We got about 8-12" in northeast Ohio along with blizzard warnings.  Closed down the eastern part of the Ohio Turnpike for awhile.  Fun time!  I also remember that company had a contract to give forecasts to the New York Thruway (God, that was a chore!).  I was sending out forecasts of 2-4 *feet* for much of the central and eastern part of the Thruway.  It was so unusual that I even got a phone call asking if that was real, and I had to assure them that it was serious!!  I think Syracuse, NY got 40" as I recall.

Went to Tech about a year or so later for grad school.  I did hear how bad it was in the Atlanta area.  You mentioned they issued blizzard warnings in a comment you made the other day?  Didn't realize that.  From what I recall, the official airport measurement was around 4" (unreal for there any time, let alone March!), but parts of the metro area and north got a foot.  I read stories about how people along I-75/85 and other major roads got trapped, and just abandoned their vehicles and walked, because it was impossible to drive.

That must have been fun times forecasting ‘93!

I actually left campus and went home that weekend, family Iives in Duluth, GA at the time which is about 30mi NE of Atlanta.  Got about 7-10, hard to really measure given the winds and drifting lol!  If I recall correctly the blizzard warnings were a nowcast thing, was watching the weather channel sat AM and we went from winter storm warning, to heavy snow warning (remember those) then to a Blizzard warning.  All in about 30minutes...things escalated quickly.  The next day (Sunday) it warmed to near 50 under March sun and the melting commenced.  I was able to drive back to campus on packed powder streets and slush.  Back in time to watch the ACC championship game.  After we won, some folks (mostly frats) decided to start a mini riot and made a bonfire at the corner of techwood drive and Bobby Dodd way.  Melted the traffic light, lol.  Cops and FD showed up, then someone decide it was a good idea to throw snowballs at the fire truck and firemen, let’s just say the retaliation by the FD was some errant hose work that left many wet and cold. Good times!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mattie g said:

In the planning stages for putting a big front porch on the house. We’re not going half-assed on this one - doing it all up. Pretty sure we’ve found the contractor to do the work, so the constant back-and-forth has begun. Hoping to have it done by the beginning of May.

I envy those who have homes with front porches. We have a two-level back patio behind our current cookie-cutter home, but nothing compares to a front porch. The big Victorian house I grew up in up in northern PA (built ~1900 maybe?) had a wraparound front/side porch...my parents had a hanging swing, a sofa-sized glider and a bunch of Adirondack chairs on it. Spent much of my youth out there playing on that porch...

• Like 4

I mentioned a trip to Water's End Brewery in Lake Ridge, VA yesterday afternoon....probably a 10-15 minute diversion off of I-95 south, and well worth the trip. Current beers on the board repped in first pic here....I started with the sweet/sour cherry pie, and while I am not a fruity beer fan...it was damn good. Barkeep said they're working a sweet/sour cherry pie to debut in a couple weeks that will be a bit more on sour side...what I had was fairly balanced. Mrs. V started out with Damn Beer, which is their everyday IPA and quite good. I followed my first draft with a Barleybeast -- which was, bar none, THE BEST barleywine draft I've ever had. I regret leaving without a crowler/growler of that...which is why Mrs. V and I are headed back there in a week or two before it's gone.

PXL_20210313_221648092a.jpg.826f27ac6569b855d3ed647378b04a72.jpg

And, on our way back from Water's End, we circled back through Potomac Town Center at Stonebridge to complete our weekly grocery run at the Wegman's there, and I finally found the "Saturday Morning" Lucky-Charms-themed four-pack there from Smartmouth, that I mentioned us hearing about not quite a year ago on its debut. There were national stories written about the "Lucky Charms" beer that was selling out as soon as it was made available. Mrs. V and I split one this afternoon and I was...underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it's a tasty IPA...just not a particularly well-flavored/themed one. Smartmouth touts the marshmallow flavor on the label, but try as we might...we didn't get that from the nose/taste of it at all. Again, a great everyday IPA, I just didn't feel that it lived up to the hype.  :) 

PXL_20210314_210608751.PORTRAITa.jpg.df0fe577f91419cbde33b0049bf78a00.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I mentioned a trip to Water's End Brewery in Lake Ridge, VA yesterday afternoon....probably a 10-15 minute diversion off of I-95 south, and well worth the trip. Current beers on the board repped in first pic here....I started with the sweet/sour cherry pie, and while I am not a fruity beer fan...it was damn good. Barkeep said they're working a sweet/sour cherry pie to debut in a couple weeks that will be a bit more on sour side...what I had was fairly balanced. Mrs. V started out with Damn Beer, which is their everyday IPA and quite good. I followed my first draft with a Barleybeast -- which was, bar none, THE BEST barleywine draft I've ever had. I regret leaving without a crowler/growler of that...which is why Mrs. V and I are headed back there in a week or two before it's gone.

And, on our way back from Water's End, we circled back through Potomac Town Center at Stonebridge to complete our weekly grocery run at the Wegman's there, and I finally found the "Saturday Morning" Lucky-Charms-themed four-pack there from Smartmouth, that I mentioned us hearing about not quite a year ago on its debut. There were national stories written about the "Lucky Charms" beer that was selling out as soon as it was made available. Mrs. V and I split one this afternoon and I was...underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it's a tasty IPA...just not a particularly well-flavored/themed one. Smartmouth touts the marshmallow flavor on the label, but try as we might...we didn't get that from the nose/taste of it at all. Again, a great everyday IPA, I just didn't feel that it lived up to the hype.  :) 

Very nice.

So, in other words, the "Saturday Morning" was a similar situation to the Popeyes Chicken sandwich hype from 2019-2020?

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic