• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter 2021

George BM

Missed the beer talk tonight. Damn it! Gotta remember to check in from time to time even if no snow in the forecast. And that is almost always. LOLz. Anyway, aside from a few of the new Hysteria What You Want IPA made with Lucky Charms (it’s awesome), this one was the one that knocked it out the park. 

84B41DFC-7785-40A7-8E92-89E0BF8105AA.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm think I may have posted this particular choice a few weeks ago, but on this night of Spades elsewhere in the sub -- and when I'm trying to teach my wife Cribbage! -- I thought I would share this one (perhaps) again. Smartmouth is a damn good brewery.....we don't often get access to their stuff since they're down in Norfolk, but sometimes we do here in NoVA, and it's always good.

PXL_20210313_012913203.PORTRAITa.jpg.eb761b20da0f8e705fbbb2c838641eb0.jpg

• Like 5

Sounds fun, although I am thoroughly enjoying our chilly desert-like day.

With synoptic forcing increasing throughout the morning, showers and storms will fill in across southeastward Colorado. With the mid to upper level flow turning to the southeast, these showers and storms will move north-northwestward towards the urban corridor and foothills. Given the strong synoptic forcing and elevated instability, moderate to heavy precipitation will fill in during the late morning across our entire forecast area east of the Continental Divide. Soundings indicate the elevated lapse rates will be greater than moist adiabatic meaning thunderstorms, including thundersnow, will be likely east of I-25. The trickiest part of the forecast today will be the snow amounts during the day across the urban corridor and areas immediately to the east. There will certainly be heavy precipitation rates and with good lapse rates, snow ratios may be close to 9 or 10 to 1 as dendrite aggregates fall towards the surface. However, ground and road temperatures will remain relatively warm as temperatures have been above freezing all night tonight so some melting is expected early on. But once a heavy snow band or two moves over an area, the snowfall rates should be enough to overcome the surface warmth and create accumulations on the ground.

With synoptic forcing increasing throughout the morning, showers and storms will fill in across southeastward Colorado. With the mid to upper level flow turning to the southeast, these showers and storms will move north-northwestward towards the urban corridor and foothills. Given the strong synoptic forcing and elevated instability, moderate to heavy precipitation will fill in during the late morning across our entire forecast area east of the Continental Divide. Soundings indicate the elevated lapse rates will be greater than moist adiabatic meaning thunderstorms, including thundersnow, will be likely east of I-25. The trickiest part of the forecast today will be the snow amounts during the day across the urban corridor and areas immediately to the east. There will certainly be heavy precipitation rates and with good lapse rates, snow ratios may be close to 9 or 10 to 1 as dendrite aggregates fall towards the surface. However, ground and road temperatures will remain relatively warm as temperatures have been above freezing all night tonight so some melting is expected early on. But once a heavy snow band or two moves over an area, the snowfall rates should be enough to overcome the surface warmth and create accumulations on the ground.

They will see more snow in 3 hours than you've seen in 3 winters
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, CAPE said:

They will see more snow in 3 hours than you've seen in 3 winters

lol

The last 3 winters have ranged from meh to pathetic, but still a total of 25". They might beat that for a storm total.

23 hours ago, wxtrix said:

i bet they do. happier more productive employees are more likely to stay.

in fact, the ability to telework at competitor's workplaces is going to be factor in retaining good employees.

He says that he will still go in but would like the opportunity for a couple days of no commute. His office has a sweet kitchen with a chef and there are work out facilities in house. Also a giant theater that they hold meetings in.  

15 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Every post  election wire prices increase to some extent . I've been at this for a long time and this current hike is the highest I can remember in this short of time.  

The pandemic caused mostly shortages on electrical supplies not much $ increase.. . Maybe 5% but this current increase was huge and happened almost overnight. 

I had occasionally be checking in on lumber prices since (like everyone else who retained their jobs) we were looking at a renovation.  Commodity price movements have been aggressive.  (Lumber top, copper bottom)

EF95B893-31E2-4FE2-91E4-3BF789976B3A.thumb.jpeg.b669ca0b83a456c630464041b03145ee.jpeg6B94CDBA-7EBF-4300-BF03-370DDD361044.thumb.png.4a01deaa0331d721f0540998644a7ece.png

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

He says that he will still go in but would like the opportunity for a couple days of no commute. His office has a sweet kitchen with a chef and there are work out facilities in house. Also a giant theater that they hold meetings in.  

Great perks! And yeah, avoiding any commuting days is a huge win in my book...especially when trying to plan for, or prep, weeknight dinners!  :D 

2 hours ago, wxtrix said:

when my DC workplace instituted telework it was such a relief to not have to commute in from WV on those days. it’s the little breaks that help.

Absolutely. Can't imagine making a DC-WV commute on a regular basis, but the trade-off is living where you and @Mrs.J live -- both beautiful areas away from all of the urbanization. My wife and I considered a move to Leesburg or just west of there many years ago, but I ultimately didn't want the commute from there and telework wasn't an option back then.

I currently live only six miles from my job at Belvoir, however, with a ramp-up of in-fill residential/commercial development and many extra traffic lights added in recent years, what used to be a 15-20 minute commute a decade ago, turned into (typically) a one-way 30-40 minute commute just before the pandemic shutdown. I mean, that's just a ridiculous amount of time to traverse six miles, IMHO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

I currently live only six miles from my job at Belvoir, however, with a ramp-up of in-fill residential/commercial development and many extra traffic lights added in recent years, what used to be a 15-20 minute commute a decade ago, turned into (typically) a one-way 30-40 minute commute just before the pandemic shutdown. I mean, that's just a ridiculous amount of time to traverse six miles, IMHO.

And it's likely going to get worse once they really get going with the Route 1 widening project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Great perks! And yeah, avoiding any commuting days is a huge win in my book...especially when trying to plan for, or prep, weeknight dinners!  :D 

Absolutely. Can't imagine making a DC-WV commute on a regular basis, but the trade-off is living where you and @Mrs.J live -- both beautiful areas away from all of the urbanization. My wife and I considered a move to Leesburg or just west of there many years ago, but I ultimately didn't want the commute from there and telework wasn't an option back then.

Yea we many times thought of moving closer to Rockville. But I just cannot get past the built up environment. Even Frederick to a point in areas is getting built up. We live in a neighborhood on the SW side. Very close to 270 and 70. But as it stands we still have many fields around us. Could change, but hope that by the time it does with both Miss J's in college we will downsize. I want a tiny house Mr. J is still not sold on it. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic